OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I HATE ARs...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2017 at 12:24

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Mine wears a nightforce 2.5-10x42 (and a PEQ15) and it is a good fit. Then again, mine is a 16" barrel piston gun, it is a 500 yard gun.

The other scope it wore for awhile was a 6X acog with an RMR on top, I liked that setup too, but the RMR was being used too much for it to last long. The gun does so much well that it needed a scope with matching depth of utility.

I have an 18" AR15 with an SS3-9 and an offset RMR, that too is a good setup.

I've not had hands on a Nightforce in a while... always wanted one, always impressed with the ones I've used.  Definitely in the mix...  good suggestion.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2017 at 16:06
I like it because you can do so much with it. I have 4. Next one will be an AR10 or something. 

I built an SBR with an 11.5 in barrel, and I love how much more compact it is. I love the 30 round mag, I love its light and doesn't kick. By the time you have a pistol stuck out arm's length, you are further out than an AR with a SB. And you got 30 rounds of ammo. 

The 3 I built are all Anderson lowers. Nothing special, but my SBR is my favorite and most decked out. I have a SW MP15 MOE I like too. 2 of the 3 have ALG triggers with lighter springs, again, nothing special. But better than the one I built that is just mil spec with iron sights, although I shoot that one pretty decent considering I can't see. 

I wouldn't be afraid to use mine on a deer, as long as it wasn't to far away, and I was using a good bullet. I have some 60 grain nosler partitions I loaded for that. 

One other plus for me is my up close eye sight isn't that great, so a red dot beats iron sites on a pistol too. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

I wouldn't be afraid to use mine on a deer, as long as it wasn't to far away, and I was using a good bullet. I have some 60 grain nosler partitions I loaded for that.

Sierra has 65 grain game kings that are a great option as well.  My cousin shot a 3 point (that's 3 on each side for you easterners Bucky ) mule deer with one of those.  I shot in the boiler room and down he went. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2017 at 16:42

I built an SBR with an 11.5 in barrel, and I love how much more compact it is. I love the 30 round mag, I love its light and doesn't kick. By the time you have a pistol stuck out arm's length, you are further out than an AR with a SB. And you got 30 rounds of ammo.

I love my 11.5 inch 223 as well.  Super handy carbine.  But I don't love the sound, but with my 6.5 TB Ultra 7 it is not to bad. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2017 at 19:27
I had my fun with AR15's and am moving on to AR10's.  Yup I hate AR's. Big Grin
Stamp collecting since 2015
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 09:54
I think we might need to bust this topic into 2 parts.
First, is the AR platform itself. The platform designed by Eugene Stoner of a direct gas impingement, rotating bolt and bolt carrier, built from aluminum, steel, and plastic in 2 frame sizes. I think there are things both plus and minus that can be said about the platform.
Second is the cartridges that the ARs come in. Lots to be said  there too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 10:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I love my 11.5 inch 223 as well.  Super handy carbine.  But I don't love the sound, but with my 6.5 TB Ultra 7 it is not to bad. 

I cannot tell the difference when I am outside at the range at hunting club with muffs on. I shot mine along side just a cheapie Mil Spec one I built with a Bear Creek Upper. It's a 223 Wylde. To me they sounded the same. I need to put an ALG trigger in that Mil Spec gun too. It was my "OMG Hillary might win Florida" purchase. That and a 10 pack of Pmags. 

My SW MP15 MOE with that funky brake it has is not bad at all. It is supposed to direct sound away from the shooter. I have shot it a few times without hearing protection, and didn't notice hardly. 

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 10:19
I personally like the 5.56. 

For what you get, light gun, modular, large ammo capacity, and plenty of range. With an SBR you have more energy then nearly all defensive pistols. More ammo capacity, and greater accuracy. Yes not concealable, but..... that is only downside to me. 

You want to make it interesting? Get a box of 50 45acp rounds in 230 grain ball. And 50 223/5.56 rounds in 55gr ball. Which weighs more? 

For me one of the big benefits of an AR is dealing with a large group of people. Thanks to movies and everything else like that, people know what one can do. Or if in a situation like in Boston when they had the bombings, and the police want everyone inside. I'd rather have my AR than a pistol any day. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 21:51

To a bolt gun guy, the recent trend toward AR-izing a bolt gun is perplexing. I am not a huge fan of taking a perfectly good bolt gun and throwing it in a chassis to make it feel like an AR. The ergonomics just aren't as comfortable to me.

Old dog, new trick, maybe.

The only place this makes sense to me is in a combat zone at a distance the enemy might not be able to tell the difference as I'm sure any sniper quality rifles would be targeted first. In that use having all the rifles look similar from a distance is an advantage. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 21:58
I heard talk that ARMY would like a new rifle with better long range ability.  I would think that one could neck up the 5.56mm to .243  and run 95 to 100 gr bullets off the same basic case with just a barrel and a buffer change and get significantly improved results without a lot of added weight or cost.  Any thoughts on that?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2017 at 09:04
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

To a bolt gun guy, the recent trend toward AR-izing a bolt gun is perplexing. I am not a huge fan of taking a perfectly good bolt gun and throwing it in a chassis to make it feel like an AR. The ergonomics just aren't as comfortable to me.

Old dog, new trick, maybe.

The only place this makes sense to me is in a combat zone at a distance the enemy might not be able to tell the difference as I'm sure any sniper quality rifles would be targeted first. In that use having all the rifles look similar from a distance is an advantage. 

Just to Stiring The Pot I happen to think the ergonomics of the AR are about as good as you can get, so why not use it on a precision rifle.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2017 at 09:06
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I heard talk that ARMY would like a new rifle with better long range ability.  I would think that one could neck up the 5.56mm to .243  and run 95 to 100 gr bullets off the same basic case with just a barrel and a buffer change and get significantly improved results without a lot of added weight or cost.  Any thoughts on that?

They have the 6x45 which is just that.  95 and 100 do take up a lot of case capacity though, 85 might be better. 

sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2017 at 20:03
How fast can you get the 85's up to?  I have liked the idea on paper but have no real world experiences with the 6x45. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2017 at 07:12

Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

How fast can you get the 85's up to?  I have liked the idea on paper but have no real world experiences with the 6x45. 

A place to look...

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=300&ID=3867

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 21:35
I like ARs. I do not like them as much as lever guns but I like them for plinking. Applying the AR to things I actually use a rifle for, like distance shooting, big and small game hunting, etc. makes them not as likeable as others forms.

On the second topic, I picked up one of those Wolf/Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel uppers for $360. It has not balked in the first few hundred rounds. Accuracy with irons is not worse than the usual cheap plinking brass case 5.56. I seem to run it between short range targets as quick as a 5.56, but I should admit I'm not any kind of high speed or low drag. My 5.56 AR will probably only be used now with match ammo on medium distance steel unless something weird goes down. The Grendel is the thing as far as I am concerned. That cheap steel case is surprisingly clean and the bullets tumbled quick on water jugs. I am gathering parts for an extra-light 20" version for medium game for the smaller people around the house. The Wolf lives under the back seat of my pickup. 

Ah! There's a downside to the Grendel. Capacity in good mags is lower than 5.56. Although, I have to admit if I need more than two 20 round sticks I am likely in more poop than one person can scoop.

So there's my contributing ramble. AR good. Not as fun as lever. Not as practical as bolt. Grendel good. Cheap AR handy thing. 60 round mags overrated for regular folks.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 07:03
I love the Grendel.  Also have a .458 SOCOM that is pretty awesome.  They justify the AR's existence in my book... 

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 14:45

This might be another reason to not hate the AR http://www.mgpcustoms.com/358_MGP.html

Say if you wanted a thumper that could be slowed down for short range steel, etc.

(activated hyperlink)

Edited by Kickboxer - May/04/2017 at 19:22
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 19:23
One of the reasons I hate them, now... the ultimate customizable firearm...

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 08:48
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

One of the reasons I hate them, now... the ultimate customizable firearm...

Barbie dolls for menBig Grin
gdpolk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdpolk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 21:48
I genuinely don't like them.  I've owned some.  I've shot tons.  They check all the boxes: good ergonomics, reliable, dependable, accurate, easy to maintain, cheap to feed, low recoil, adequate power, versatile design, easy to work on and modify, blah, blah, blah.  I'll openly admit that I consider them to be one of the best firearm designs ever created from an engineering standpoint; they are truly remarkable guns.  All that said, I never could find one that made me WANT to pick it up and shoot it or hunt with it, or dump money into it, or even keep it.  I just never really connected to them I guess.  I'd rather have a good bolt gun or lever gun or revolver or 1911 or something else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic