OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX3i 4.5 x 14 vs Vortex PST or HST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX3i 4.5 x 14 vs Vortex PST or HST
    Posted: April/03/2017 at 21:30
I am interested in purchasing a new scope for a Remington 700 sporter and wondering if anyone has anyone had experience or opinions of a  Leupold VX3i 4.5 x14 , the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3 x15, or Vortex Viper HST 4 x16? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2017 at 22:27
PST Gen II is pretty new, but from what I ahve seen of the new 3-15x44 was pretty impressive.  I would lean toward this one if it were me.

Viper HST was a little weak, so VX3i might be better than that one.

That having been said, for a sporter, I would be looking at Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42.  Price wise, it is a little less than the PST Gen2 and for a hunting rifle, it is likely a better option.

Optically, it runs circles around all three of these.

Basically, if you do not need an exposed turret, go with Razor HD LH.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2017 at 16:57
I am becoming more and more of a Leupold fan.  Two reasons.  I like the CDS dial and I like the Alumina lens covers.  Since Butler creek bit the big one, finding descent ones is harder.  Not long ago that didn't really matter to me because Butler creek were descent.  Having metal ones that are designed specifically for their scopes is a big plus.  And the glass is as good as anything in their price range. 

The Viper PST glass is good, very similar to VX3 glass IMO
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2017 at 19:28
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 really looks like a good choice. With Leupold when it says 4.5 on the low end it tends to be almost like 5x on the low end they tend to err on the side of what makes it sound better.  In most hunting the low end of the power range is really important its hard to stalk game with scopes that are set on too high a power. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2017 at 21:13
The VX3i in question is 4.9-14.4x if you want to be specific.

ILya
OTGmac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OTGmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2017 at 11:46
I'm curious to see how the PST2 performs.  The Long Range Facebook group, which is up over 42K members, repeatedly shreds the PST1 every time someone starts a comment thread on it.  Basically, we have members who aren't getting through one box of ammo (6.5, 300WM, 338LM, etc.) without something breaking and needing to return it.  Some of them have returned them as many as 3 times!?  Once again, this is the PST1.  I haven't even gotten my hands on a PST2 yet.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.” - Longbaugh, Way of The Gun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic