OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 scope
    Posted: March/25/2017 at 16:14
Any suggestions on a good 300 AAC scope under 500 or right at ? I will shoot subsonic rounds so max range is 100 yards . Doing a barrel swap , maybe getting 9 inch noveske barrel . Open for barrel suggestions as well if it's 9 inches . Believe this will be a fun rifle and reduced sound signature will be a great benefit . Thank you .

Edited by Greenhorn#1 - March/25/2017 at 16:31
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2017 at 19:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 07:50
I just purchased the Nikon P-300.  I love it.  I"ve had a Nikon Laser IRT for years and have used their SpotOn for all that time.  SpotOn works very well with this scope.  For the price, it is a real deal.  I wish it was Illuminated.  But for under $200.00, it can't have everything.  They also make an M-300, more features, but quite a bit more expensive… almost 5 times the cost.  I like the P-300 reticle.  It has plenty of adjustment range for my needs and for hogs and varmints, should be excellent.  
I don't ever intend to use the BLK beyond about 200yards…mostly at 100-150.  I'm going to shoot it subsonic suppressed almost exclusively.  Ballistic performance subsonic is slightly better than .46 ACP.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Greenhorn#1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 08:16
Thank you gentleman. Didn't know Nikon had a 300 scope . Pretty cool . Will check it out . I have a 1x6 vortex strike eagle but wanted something else .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 08:18
Suppressed is the way I want to go . They have a bill on the floor for it . Hoping to buy one of those as soon as it becomes legal .
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 10:05
Wait, wait, wait. "Reduced sound" and unsuppressed 9" barrel do not belong together, whether subsonic or super.

There is s chance the bill passes and a chance it does not. I'd wait on all this if the only way you get a can is if it passes.

All that said, you want something with lots of drop on an FFP reticle. I like Christmas tree reticles, but that is a personal preference.

My 300 wears a vortex HD gen2 1.6X and is a good fit. I wanted a bit more mag than 4X on top.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 14:08
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Wait, wait, wait. "Reduced sound" and unsuppressed 9" barrel do not belong together, whether subsonic or super.

There is s chance the bill passes and a chance it does not. I'd wait on all this if the only way you get a can is if it passes.

All that said, you want something with lots of drop on an FFP reticle. I like Christmas tree reticles, but that is a personal preference.

My 300 wears a vortex HD gen2 1.6X and is a good fit. I wanted a bit more mag than 4X on top.

Gotcha lol . I'm in no hurry I have a extra ar 15 I was going to convert . Your saying a 9 inch barrel pushing subs will still be loud ? Like compared to the m4 . Educate me please .
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 14:42
I have a 300BLK pistol with a 10.5" barrel.  Suppressors are not allowed where I live, so I shoot it with subs unsuppressed.

They are notably quieter than any supersonic round, but louder than the same subs in the 16" barrel (for obvious reasons).

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 14:53
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a 300BLK pistol with a 10.5" barrel.  Suppressors are not allowed where I live, so I shoot it with subs unsuppressed.

They are notably quieter than any supersonic round, but louder than the same subs in the 16" barrel (for obvious reasons).

ILya

Thank you sir . I'm in Delaware and hoping they come to senses on suppression laws . What optics do you favor on a 300 rig ?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 15:02
MR . Koshkin do you have a brand of barrel preference ? Hoping someone would make suggestion that I didn' see . You know a great barrel that doesn't cost 400 bucks . Will gladly pay 400 for a barrel . Looking for a unicorn lol . Thank you everyone

Edited by Greenhorn#1 - March/26/2017 at 15:11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 15:35
Noveske makes a great barrel, but not cheap. I bought a 16" at brownells a few years ago, was $160, good barrel.

And as Koshkin said, loud, but not as loud. A 9" with subs will be louder than a handgun or shotgun, less than an m4, nowhere near ear safe without hearing protection.

I went to a 16" with subs and a can to see how quiet I could get it. In the end, I decided I could take a bit more for a more maneuverable gun, now have a 9" noveske, 15" rail, and a nested can, good setup.

Invest in an adjustable gas block too.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 15:47

Noveske makes a great barrel, but not cheap. I bought a 16" at brownells a few years ago, was $160, good barrel.

And as Koshkin said, loud, but not as loud. A 9" with subs will be louder than a handgun or shotgun, less than an m4, nowhere near ear safe without hearing protection.

I went to a 16" with subs and a can to see how quiet I could get it. In the end, I decided I could take a bit more for a more maneuverable gun, now have a 9" noveske, 15" rail, and a nested can, good setup.

Invest in an adjustable gas block too.

Good advice on gas block . You running a heavy buffer or just fine tuning via gas block .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 15:48
Going get the noveske then . No regrets on this one . Or yet lol .
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 22:27
i went with a Seekins barrel.  It has far exceeded my accuracy expectations.

https://swfa.com/seekins-precision-10-5-quot-300-blackout-ss-barrel.html

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2017 at 22:42
Seekins barrels are awesome. They are hand lapped, button rifled, rock creek barrels. I have a 8" 300 blk and a 18" 223 wylde.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 07:34
Thank you gentleman.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 07:39
Like the price vs noveske as well . Glad I asked . Thank you gents again !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 14:39
I too have had success with Seekins. When I needed my current barrel, they were all backordered - probably because they are a better deal than noveske.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 15:56

I too have had success with Seekins. When I needed my current barrel, they were all backordered - probably because they are a better deal than noveske.

Noticed that . I'm in no hurry to buy so it's cool . Looking to have it done by end of summer . Currently building backstop and cutting shooting lanes along the river . Was hauling mortar sand in but my buddy said I was a idiot cause the river bed is all sand and literally right next to back stop . He's right lol . Too close to project is my excuse . Once again I appreciate all the wisdom .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2017 at 16:08
I have a 16 inch FN CHF barrel . Going see what samplelist will give me for it . I hate parting with things but it's just sitting there . Won't build another ar 15 . So let someone else put it to good use .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic