OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Light weight,hunting scope under $1500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light weight,hunting scope under $1500
    Posted: March/07/2017 at 09:53

I want a new all around hunting scope also capable of longer range. This is going on a Forbes 270 which is 1/2 MOA accurate and just over 5.5 lbs., so weight is a huge concern. I really want to stay under 18 ounces. Low light performance is a huge concern since here in Alabama most shots at the good deer come at first or last light.

Right now my top pick is the Swaro. Z5 3.5-18X44 with a 4W reticle and their BT. My concern is that the reticle may be too thin in low light. Is there a different reticle offered that is better in low light? I have also considered an illuminated reticle in something like a VX6 2-12.

I really wanted to try something top tier, at least within my budget, this time. Any assurances about the Z5 or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 09:59
How about a VX-6 2-12x, they are under 18 ounces.  Glass is very good. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 10:29

Yes sir, I have sort of been going back and forth between the Z5 and VX6. I like that the Z5 has parallax adjustment and is a 1" tube and a little lighter. 

I like that the VX6 likely has a better reticle for hunting and the wider FOV of 2X on the low end. Close range woods hunting is often presented here.

It's a tough decision for me. The price really isn't the deciding factor.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 10:58
I sold my Swaro z6 1.7-10x and later replaced it with a VX6 2-12x.  I have no regrets.  Optically they are both excellent.  I believe the Swaro is slightly better, but in my case the Z6 reticle was to thin so the VX6 is actually better for me in low light.  Plus my VX6 has a low profile open dial with zero lock that will take my 16" barred 308 out to 600 yards.  Honestly it is tough to beat for a hunting rifle.  If another fit my need I would buy one in a heart beat.  I traded a guy for it and he told me it was illuminated.  Turned out is was not and he would not trade back.  But the reticle is bold enough, I can see it well in low light so it will work for my hunting needs just fine. 

Another scope I recently got is a Bushnell Elite long range hunter 3-12x44.  I put it on my Tikka 6.5 creed.  I like it a lot.  That class is excellent, the reticle is first focal point with windage holds and it is quite visable even in low light on low mag.  For my particular needs it is great.  It is pretty heavy though. 

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/bushnell-3-12x44-elite-long-range-hunter-30mm-rifle-scope.html 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 11:01
In very low light, reticle visibility is key, as you well know, so an illuminated reticle is a good thing to have.

I have a Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 that weighs 16.5 ozs, has an illuminated reticle and works really well in low light.  50mm objective really helps there.  Honestly, for low light at the lowest weight possible, this would be my choice.  

Another interesting scope is Docter V6 2-12x50, but it is likely a little heavier that what you are looking for.  I'll be doing an article on this one in a bit, since it peaked my curiosity.

The VX-6 is an excellent scope and it can be had for a very good price right now since it was replaced by VX-6HD.  However, if you are not price sensitive, VX6HD is better.  I am looking at the 3-18x44 and I like it a lot.

With all that, I would still be looking for a larger objective and an illuminated reticle.

ILya
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 11:08
I have a Leica ERi 2.5-10 X 42 4A reticle illuminated great low light and I believe right at 18 ounces. I have it on a 6.5 Creedmoor and love it.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 11:11
I think Leica is rebranding the ERi scopes as Visus, so there might be good deals on the ERi.

ILya
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 11:11
I have the Z5 mounted on a 7mm-08 and the VX-6 on a 257 Wby.  It is a toss up between the two for me.
Leupold's VX6 3-18x has become my default choice.  Prefer the higher top end and like the illumination.

You might consider the Swarovski BRH reticle if you lean towards the Z5.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 11:14
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think Leica is rebranding the ERi scopes as Visus, so there might be good deals on the ERi.

ILya

Ilya, they appear to be on sale now.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 12:52

Mr.Koshkin

How would you compare the glass of the Leupold VX6HD to the Leica ERi?

I am now strongly considering the 2-12 VX6HD? I wish it had a parallax adjustment and would get the 3-18 except I'm not sure I want to be that heavy on an under 6 lb rifle. I also like the wide 2X FOV in case I want to hunt in the woods.

Not sure what happened to the text while I was replying.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 16:13
Optically, Leica is the better scope, V6HD is no slouch.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 17:58

I guess I need to decide then between the 2.5-10 Leica ERi  or the Swaro Z5 3.5-18. The illumination would likely make the Leica a better low light scope but I like the power range, adjustable parallax, and weight of the Swaro. Though weight is close, I do prefer the 1" tube, but it's not a big deal either way.

I do have some concerns about Leica warranty. I don't want to wait 4 months if I have a scope problem and neither do I want an ERi to be replaced with an American made ER5. I have read about Leica warranty disputes and complaints by customers.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 21:10
Originally posted by R H Clark R H Clark wrote:

I want a new all around hunting scope also capable of longer range. 

What is your definition of "longer range" as it pertains to this rifle & scope combo?

At the outer limits of your long shots, do you plan to:
- use a MPBR zero that allows you to "hold on hair" out to your max shot distance, OR
- rely on hold-over with a BDC type reticle, OR
- dial your drop correction with elevation knob? 

Those 3 options are listed in order of effective LR shot precision, weight, and cost from least to most, assuming scope comparisons of equivalent quality. If you plan to spin the elevation knob for drop dope, you will have a tough time keeping weight below your 18 oz. If on the other hand, by "longer range" you mean out to 300 - 350 yds max, you can do that with a standard hunting reticle and a 250 yard zero.

Knowing the answers to those questions will have a huge bearing on the recommendations given.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 21:54
Hard to go wrong with a VX6 and it's fantastic duplex or firedot duplex reticle.  I've had one on a 7mag for 3 years now and it's been great.  Most user friendly variable I've ever got behind.  
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2017 at 07:15

RifleDude

I'm not much of a long range guy. Where I hunt it would be rare to find an open field shot farther than 200 yards. For this rifle I had aspirations of possibly taking it west on an elk hunt or even on a Texas whitetail hunt. Even then 400-500 yards would be my limit. My thought was that I could use the dial to set zero at 200 and have a marked elevation for the rest. I was looking at a turret even on the Leica ERi.

If I were a dedicated long range hunter, I would certainly be looking at different scopes. My long range aspirations or more of a possibility than an every day reality. 

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2017 at 08:00
If this is dedicated to hunting 500 yards and in I'd drop the parallax adjustment completely off my list of wants or needs. Frankly, don't waist time fiddling with it when you should be looking at much bigger factors for getting a clean kill at that distance, I.E: cross winds and other environmental factors. JMHO! Then go actually shoot from 200 out to 500 yards on kill zone size targets specific to what you're hunting.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2017 at 09:00

Steelbenz

I'm with you my friend. My previous post may have sounded like it, but I'm not really a newby hunter who wants just wants a gun to shoot 500 yards. I have shot some longer range before. I've been a member of a rifle team when I was younger and I have killed deer at 400 plus yards. There just isn't much opportunity for it where I live.

I like the parallax adjustment not because I have to have it to hit a target the size of a big game kill zone, but because I like a crisp view target shooting. I just wanted to assure you that I wouldn't be taking pot shots at long range animals without any clue as to what is needed.

Yes, wanting to keep this rifle as light as possible and still have long range capability, even beyond my self imposed 500 yards makes a scope decision difficult for me.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic