OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ring/Base mount for Mannlicher Schoenauer (1950)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ring/Base mount for Mannlicher Schoenauer (1950)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring/Base mount for Mannlicher Schoenauer (1950)
    Posted: February/11/2017 at 12:43
I recently purchased a gorgeous near mint condition Mannlicher Shoenauer MC 1950 (improved). It is the rifle model with half length stock and 24 inch barrel, chambered in .270. 

At some point previously in the rifle's life, someone decided to have the side rail drilled and tapped and it currently has a period correct Bausch & Lomb 2.5x8 sitting in externally adjustable mounts. The current set-up looks nice and seems solid, but I am curious what my other mounting options are. I don't have any interest in further drilling and tapping the rifle, so any mounting system will have to work with the current set-up as seen below. Anyone have any ideas? It seems the most common scope mounting system for these rifles were the specifically made Redfield rings and bases, however my rifle isn't tapped in the correct location on the rear receiver bridge to make the Redfields work.

I have seen the mount below once or twice before and it appears to use the same screw alignment, but they seem extremely difficult to track down. I believe they were made by Leupold but I can't seem to find an example for sale anywhere. 

Any Mannlicher experts out there?

-Michael
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2017 at 14:03
Visit the Ed Show
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2017 at 11:34
Hi Ed, thanks for the response! The photo you posted does indeed show the mount/screw alignment I am looking for, however the link appears to be talking about Watt's reproduction redfield mounts which use a different alignment I believe. My understanding is that all the redfield mounts required the rear receiver bridge to be D&T'd whereas my rifle is D&T'd on the side rail and front receiver ring (same pattern as the photo you posted with the Leupold mount. It seems the pattern for my rifle is far less common, with most people opting for either the Redfield style, or a centered three hole side mount designed the G&H rail system. 

I actually really like the looks of the B&L system I have on the rifle now, but it appears that when it was set up, the clearance wasn't quite perfect and there is a tiny point of contact where the bolt handle hits against the scope base when working the action. Given how nice the condition the rifle is, I don't want to ding up the blueing on the handle by hunting with/shooting the rifle in it's current set up, but I obviously want to hunt with and shoot the rifle! Sad
-Michael
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2017 at 06:03
Contact New England Custom Gun (NECG)... https://newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Special_Scope_Mounts.asp. They are the distributor for German EAW and Recknagel scope mounts, one or both of whom offer mounts for M-S rifles drilled and tapped on front receiver ring and left side bridge as you describe. Whether or not these mounts have the same screw spacing, I have no idea, but I bet they can probably help you.

I hope you're prepared to spend some $ on this project, because this will be expensive.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2017 at 07:12
Beautiful rifle! Is there any other cost but expensive when dealing with all things German? 😉
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2017 at 11:17
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Is there any other cost but expensive when dealing with all things German? 😉

Ain't that the truth?!!! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2017 at 19:25
I've looked at NECG and obviously they do great (and VERY expensive) work, but I'm not really interested in permanently altering the rifle any further. I was hoping someone might be familiar with the Leupold mounts shown above and have an idea about how/where to go about finding a reproduction or similar mount besides blind luck on the various auction sites. I may just take it to a gunsmith and have them file off a millimeter or so from the contact point on the side of the existing B&L mount. I'm sure it will prove infinitely cheaper and I think I can live with the external adjustment mounting system given my purposes for the rifle. 
-Michael
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2017 at 09:28
I'm not suggesting you modify your rifle in any way and wasn't referring to their custom gunsmithing work. NECG also sells high end firearms accessories and say on their website that they offer mounts for M-S rifles that are drilled and tapped in the same manner as yours. Even if the ones offered for sale don't fit your screw hole spacing, the solution is to custom machine or modify the base of the scope mounts, not modify the rifle. If you haven't already, I would call them to see what they recommend, as they may already have mounts that will fit. I doubt you'll find the Leupold mount very easily, if at all.

Modifying your existing B&L mount is certainly your easiest, least expensive option.
Ted

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2017 at 15:45
Yeah, finding a 1950s Leupold mount would be a chore.  And if you don't want to make any more holes you are really going to have your work cut out for you. 

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic