OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BIG GAME HUNT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIG GAME HUNT!
    Posted: August/30/2006 at 09:04
Scenario: I'm leaving town next week for 10,000 dollar big game hunt in Canada. I have a 300 Winchester Mag, how much money should I spend for a scope???
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 10:19
How much  are you willing to gamble , I mean after all, nothing is in season right now and those Mounties are pretty sharp
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 10:55

Mike,

Good point! But what if it was the season, and you needed a scope for that very important hunt. Not to mention very expensive...

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 10:56

Is your .300 win mag a $300 budget Savage or a $2000 Weatherby?

There's little point in spending around $2K to top the Savage off with a Swarovski and you also should not cripple the fine Weatherby with an $80 Simmons.

With many exceptions, the general rule I have gone by is that a scope should cost at least 1/2 as much, though not more than 2X as much as the rifle onto which it is being mounted.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 11:29
Yeah I know.........................back to what can you afford to gamble.  10 grand hunt wasted on a BSA, not good.
10 grand hunt survived  by a 1500 buck scope, yup.

I'd take a gen 2 XOTIC if they were out.  Going to be the Shiznits.....................

After that a Luppy MkIV M3 to save confusion and add survivability, the go up from there, 30 or 34mm tubes only, No USO's, too complex and bulky, strongest base the rifle would allow, strongest lowest mount rings that you could shoot. 

In short, same stuff I'd take on a life saving expedition..........................but that's just me and aI think that bullet proof is the only way to do things........................
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 14:39

Actually, some of the seasons up there have already started, so you wouldn't have to worry about Mounties.

Stephanie, take me with you.  I'll provide the scope and ..

I've never gone off on a rifle hunt like that, but I've been on several bowhunts out West.  I wouldn't be comfortable just taking one bow. 

bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 14:43
Don't need big optics to shoot big game.  Practice with the iron sites and save the money for good Canadian whiskey.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 17:52
Steph, what are you hunting in Cananda?
jlinnh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlinnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 21:21

$375.00

If it were me, I would set up said .300 mag with a Nikon Monarch 4 x 40 (#6505, $250) using Weaver 4x4 rings. Prior to sighting this scope in for the trip I would also purchase a Weaver 4 x 38 (849415, $125) mount it in its own set of 4x4 rings and sight that scope in on the rifle. Once sighted I would remove the Weaver scope and pack it as a back-up. If the rifle has iron sights I would have also sighted those, prior to mounting the Nikon, as "plan C" in case the scope gods really had it in for me during this particular trip. Upon arriving at my destination I would of course sight the gun to be sure everything survived the trip OK. (Since I have packed a back-up scope the one on the rifle will last for a thousand hunts.) You may spend as much as you want for a single anything, I prefer to wisely choose something totally adequate and then have enough left over for "plan B". 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 21:52

Ziess conquest 4oo to 800 dollars  I say this because it has the eye relief you want and a good measure of clarity.  Bears over bait or Rams will affect which model. I still get you under ten percent of the total hunt so your scope looks like a bargin, while you get Ziess quality for a once in a lifetime hunt.  What rings do you wish to use?

Aren't you going to need a spoting scope, binoculars and a range finder?  You should also take a long a bore sighter. I have those items in stock as well...

Where are you located at? Do I need send this nextday to you? May I have the first digit of your credit card number please...

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 08:49

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Steph, what are you hunting in Cananda?

The hunt will be for Bears..

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Aren't you going to need a spotting scope, binoculars and a range finder?  You should also take a long a bore sighter. I have those items in stock as well...

Where are you located at? Do I need send this next day to you? May I have the first digit of your credit card number please...

You know I only buy my optics and accessories from S.W.F.A.  Thank you for the offer!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 09:16

Good for you, Optics Goddess!!!

Best wishes on your hunt!

You need a Zeiss Conquest and Talley rings!!!

silver.....You are WHACKED!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good for you, Optics Goddess!!!

Best wishes on your hunt!

You need a Zeiss Conquest and Talley rings!!!

silver.....You are WHACKED!!!

I never have sold scopes or anything that small. Some people have just had better sales training than others.  Besides normally you can't do your own sale, and SOMEBODY should get the commision...  My next standard question is "Do you have room for a Semi with trailer to turn around?" having sold lumber for a few years.

Miss Steph,

My first choice would be a new item, your stock number 5214259904 (2.5x8 conquest with a 4a reticle).  That is unless you want to get a 2x7 Kahles from the sample list.    My buddy is trying to get some of us to go hunting with him where he has bow hunted for bear.  Their ranges for gun are thirty to one hundred twenty five yards.  The area is kinda brushy and the bears do not get going 'till late afternoon. 

So .300 boomer for close range large and potentially dangerous game in questionalbe lighting.  Need good eye relief and good low light performance and a wide field of view.  The only other thing I see is the 2 3/4 fixed Leupold. 

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 15:38
silver.....Stand by for inbound PM, Brother.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 21:32

No offense Steph, but this sounds like the kind of question that someone in your position might have to answer on a regular basis.

I know, I read the first word: Scenero.

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 08:38
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

No offense Steph, but this sounds like the kind of question that someone in your position might have to answer on a regular basis.

I know, I read the first word: Scenero.

Yes it is a "Scenario".  I was trying to get some feed back from the guy off the O.T.  This was not intended for me. It was intended to help people who did not know the answer to the question or "Scenario" that I gave. No offense taken....

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 08:44

It sounded like the Monday morning sales meeting to me...  Sure you don't need some lens covers, wipes or a sling?

BTW we got a candy bar for the right answers

WWW.formitch.com

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 16:51
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Is your .300 win mag a $300 budget Savage or a $2000 Weatherby?

There's little point in spending around $2K to top the Savage off with a Swarovski and you also should not cripple the fine Weatherby with an $80 Simmons.

With many exceptions, the general rule I have gone by is that a scope should cost at least 1/2 as much, though not more than 2X as much as the rifle onto which it is being mounted.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you had $1500. total to spend, which would you choose.

A.  Savage / Swarovski

B.  Weatherby / Simmons

Or if you say you would never buy either, put yourself in this scenario.

Your hunting with two other people in your camp that have already tagged out.  It's remote with no chance or time to get to a town.  You dropped your rifle off a cliff right after you spotted a 400" elk.  You go back to camp and tell your two companions what happened and they both graciously offer you the use of their rifles simultaneously.

Buddy A offers you the Savage / Swarovski combo

Buddy B offers you the Weatherby / Simmons combo

I'm taking the Savage and both buddies to help me pack out my new trophy!

PS:  They are both chambered in the same caliber Mike McDonald.

Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 17:41
I would take the savage as well, both rifles are reliable enough for me to count on them, but the simmons cannot be counted on.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2006 at 18:15

Or Chris, option C: Remington 700/ Elite 4200 and keep the extra 3 hundred for the next hunt. Never met a 2K Weatherby worth 2K.  To your point and within reason, I would spend roughly as much on glass as I would on the rifle. The last thing I want to be concerned about is my scope not being up to the task. Rather have one great scope than three marginal scopes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic