OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HD Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD Scopes
    Posted: January/15/2017 at 16:29
I'm new to this site so thanks for the add, I have made up
My mind to "Standardize " my equipment and after a year of pouring through tons of reading I have made my mind up to switch to SWFA SS. The 10x42HD is my first choice as I am a fan of straight power simplicity but the 3-9x42HD has really sparked my interest, I know this question has been asked many times as I have poured through reviews and you tube videos, At a $200 price difference between the straight 10HD does the 3-9 have HD glass ?
Thanks again for the add
Remember
Don't argue with stupid people..... They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
ButterBean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2017 at 19:07
I found the answer to the 3-9x40HD glass question.... I guess I wasn't looking hard enough
Remember
Don't argue with stupid people..... They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 02:55
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I can't over state how much I love my SS 3-9x. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 09:22
Do you like it better than the straight 10?
Remember
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 10:45
It's just a more versatile model with the variable mag. I also run the SS 3-15, which aside from the higher mag range, has adjustable parallax. I've only found that necessary higher than 10X although it is nifty on the low end if you want to dry fire at 20 ft. indoors.

The SS 3-9 weighs 6 oz. less and that's why one is going on my new hunting rifle build. There just isn't a scope at that weight class with decent mag range, really good glass, reliable internals and dial turrets at that price. Heck, there aren't any expensive scopes that don't end up weighing 8-14 oz. more. I haven't tried https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/sig-sauer-3-12x42-tango4-30mm-riflescope-3.html but on specs alone that's about all I see that comes close.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 11:39
I owned the 10xHD for a few years.  It is a great scope.  It went through four, four day precision rifle classes.  Twice on my rifle and twice on my cousins rifle.  It worked great for that type of shooting.  If you can live with a fixed power, it would be all you need.  I personally prefer variable as they fit my needs and type of shooting better. 

I also own the 3-9x and it is a great scope as well.  My only complaint about the 3-9x is it tunnels between 3 and 4x.  So FOV wise it is effectively a 4-9x.  But for what I use it for that matters little to me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 11:55
The 10X is good, but I'd get the 3-9. There is no longer any great reason to get a fixed-power 10X now. Long ago, it was preferred because it was far more reliable/robust than variables; that is no longer true.

You can do MUCH more with a variable than you can with a fixed.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 12:29
Ok, You have me really interested in the 3-9HD, Can anyone tell me why the 10HD is $200 more...... I thought it would have been the other way around....... And thank you all for the feedback
Remember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2017 at 16:09
A guess: economy of scale. They sell lots of 3-9s
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2017 at 08:59
Well I guess that would make sense
Remember
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2017 at 08:54
Howdy Butterbean,
Welcome to the OT forum.

I like my SS 3-9 so much that I kept moving it around to various rifles. What I really needed was more 3-9s. It's found a home on one of my favorite hunting '06s. I like it better on that rifle than the Swaro ffp scope it replaced. Is the glass as good as the Swarovski? Not even. It's just more useful, overall.
Will I ever make a shot on game out there at say, 719 yards, which the SS enables? Nope.
But one has to be mindful of zombie apocalypse and such.
Not to mention how much fun it is to bust rocks on the side of that butte, waaay out there.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2017 at 04:50
That zombie apocalypse appears more and more likely...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2017 at 11:06
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The 10X is good, but I'd get the 3-9. There is no longer any great reason to get a fixed-power 10X now. Long ago, it was preferred because it was far more reliable/robust than variables; that is no longer true.

You can do MUCH more with a variable than you can with a fixed.

Except for the fact the 10X HD has rear parallax adjustment down to 50 yds and the 3-9X doesn't have parallax adjustment. Speaking for myself, I recently bought the 10X HD for an Anschutz 1710D HB .22LR, and I wanted a high quality scope that will allow me to wring all the precision this rifle is capable of. I might have opted for the 3-9X instead, as I've got plenty of trigger time behind the 3-9 and plan to buy one in the not too distant future, but it isn't the best choice for a rimfire as is the case with any scope of fixed 100 yd/m parallax. I also considered buying another 3-15 (I have this scope on an airgun) because it's parallax adjustable down to 6m, but I wanted the 10XHD's noticeably better optics for this rifle and I planned to always use around this magnification on this rifle.

Apart from that, I mostly agree with the reliability/robustness comment, though this of course assumes we're talking about a quality scope to begin with. I certainly agree as it pertains to the SS scopes. In general, however, the rules of engineering, logic, and Murphy's Law still dictates that fewer mechanical components usually means a more foolproof design.

The other reasons to go with a fixed power scope are slightly better light transmission compared to a variable of equivalent optical performance, and sometimes lower cost compared to variables of equivalent quality, though the latter isn't always true (the economies of scale thing).
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2017 at 12:43
Versatility always means compromise. However, if your use case is wide, it's better to have the flexibility. It'll get you most of the way there, most of the time. The obvious answer here is to buy one of each of all the SS line! :-)
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2017 at 13:04
Rifledude, all good points.

I don't spend much time behind 22s or using optics at short range; but that is a true statement, in that circumstances a short parallax adjustment is a great thing - and in that the 10X does have an edge.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2017 at 16:16
Been talking with SWFA for two days working on a trade deal and I have to say they have been awesome to deal with------ got a 3-9HD is coming my way .......Thanks again for all the information
Remember
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2017 at 16:24
You should enjoy that scope.  It is a lot of scope for the money and does many things really well.  Good choice. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2017 at 18:37
I know this has been said a hundred times on various sites but this is my first transaction with SWFA and I have to say that the customer service is excellent and I am impressed, We agreed on a trade deal last week and within two hours of receiving my trade they had called me and my scope was shipped as they said it would with no hidden charges or any deviation from our e-mail agreement .... once again I
Am really impressed
Remember
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 09:03
I got my first SS in 97 or 98. That scope served me so well that i just stuck with them. Today i have several and in different models. I like standardization.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic