OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mausingfield action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mausingfield action
    Posted: January/05/2017 at 18:28
This has to be one of the more interesting firearms developments I've come across. Unlikely I'll go the custom route any time soon, if ever again. But I'd seriously consider this one:

Reaction time is a factor...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 18:52
Helo18 (Andrew) has one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 07:58
One of the most exciting improvements I've seen in ages.  Ever since Drew told us about it, I've been wanting to get my hands on one.  No luck.  I may have to break down and get one… for testing purposes only…

Edited by Kickboxer - January/06/2017 at 08:06
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 11:56
All right, you will have to add a little more detail.  I've seen this action and it is definitely a nice piece, but I struggle to understand why it is such an exciting development or why it is any more exciting than any other well-made custom action from a variety of makers out there: Surgeon, Kelbly, Defiance, etc.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 13:50
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

All right, you will have to add a little more detail.  I've seen this action and it is definitely a nice piece, but I struggle to understand why it is such an exciting development or why it is any more exciting than any other well-made custom action from a variety of makers out there: Surgeon, Kelbly, Defiance, etc.

ILya

Flexibility… it's the AR of bolt actions...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 14:11
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

One of the most exciting improvements I've seen in ages.  Ever since Drew told us about it, I've been wanting to get my hands on one.  No luck.  I may have to break down and get one… for testing purposes only…

From the custom builder the SH guy recommends?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 15:19

ILya

Because it's the only action that combines a Remington 700 footprint (so it fits a wide variety of stocks), Rem 700 trigger assembly (so it adapts to several different triggers) AND Winchester 70/Mauser 98 controlled round feeding, extractor style and standing blade ejection AND has interchangeable bolt head and locknut style barrel attachment (ala Savage) AND use Savage compatible barrels.

Other actions combine the Remington footprint and trigger and Savage barrel compatibility. Some others combine Rem footprint/triggers with CRF. It's the only action I'm currently aware of that combines the features of all 3. It also has a removable 1913 rail that interlocks with the top of the receiver in a unique way.

Whether all of that makes it more exciting than any other high quality custom action is a personal thing of course, but it certainly is unique. I happen to be one who is indifferent to CRF, and I don't care about interchangeable bolt heads and Savage style barrels with barrel nut, so I'm not their target customer. That being said, I do think it is interesting and well made.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 16:09
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5514-bolt-action-rifles/15278434-new-barrel-nut-system-the-bugnut/ms/190785446 - talks about Bughole's new "bugnut" - nicer than the Savage. I guess if you are into max versatility, burn through barrels all the time or whatnot, it would be an easy decision.

I like the Rem 700 features combined with the other actions' features. But since all I care about in a rifle nowadays is handled by a Tikka T3-lite in a Manners stock, I'm not their target customer.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 17:08
Dang that bugnut looks awesome.  I have been considering sent my Stiller to bug holes and have him put a 6.5 creed barrel on it.  But now I will just buy a bug nut and be able to do it myself. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 18:33
I like to test things, to put them through their paces, to see if I can make them live up to/or not their promises.  Mausingfield has so much to look for.  To me, that's exciting.  It's not just standard, run of the mill, stuff.  My job is pushing limits and boundaries, and I love it.  This action is different and at least has some interesting aspects.  Was there any good engineering reason for putting all those components together? I'd like to find out. Some may like "tried and true", I like new and different with a little mystery.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 23:55
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

ILya

Because it's the only action that combines a Remington 700 footprint (so it fits a wide variety of stocks), Rem 700 trigger assembly (so it adapts to several different triggers) AND Winchester 70/Mauser 98 controlled round feeding, extractor style and standing blade ejection AND has interchangeable bolt head and locknut style barrel attachment (ala Savage) AND use Savage compatible barrels.

Other actions combine the Remington footprint and trigger and Savage barrel compatibility. Some others combine Rem footprint/triggers with CRF. It's the only action I'm currently aware of that combines the features of all 3. It also has a removable 1913 rail that interlocks with the top of the receiver in a unique way.

Whether all of that makes it more exciting than any other high quality custom action is a personal thing of course, but it certainly is unique. I happen to be one who is indifferent to CRF, and I don't care about interchangeable bolt heads and Savage style barrels with barrel nut, so I'm not their target customer. That being said, I do think it is interesting and well made.

I am probably not their customer either, since I am struggling to figure out why this is a big deal.

I like the Savage style barrel attachment system.  I could not care less about compatibility with Rem style anything.  Unique scope rail is a solution looking for a problem and I do not have any strong feelings toward CRF one way or the other.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 07:45
I, however, believe it would be fun, and productive, to explore the Mausingfield… 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 09:11

I am probably not their customer either, since I am struggling to figure out why this is a big deal.

I like the Savage style barrel attachment system.  I could not care less about compatibility with Rem style anything.  Unique scope rail is a solution looking for a problem and I do not have any strong feelings toward CRF one way or the other.

ILya

First and foremost, it exists to make money, and aficionados will buy it. Some will buy it simply because it's different. Hell, I buy gun related stuff based on much flimsier justifications than that, so I get it even if I'd rather buy a Defiance/Stiller/Borden/Pierce/Surgeon, etc.

On the Remington adaptability part, that's a no-brainer. All custom action makers do the same, for good reason -- every company who makes aftermarket stocks, chassis, triggers, DBMs, offers product that will work with it without modification. Even if you dislike Remington, I'm betting you wouldn't dislike having no problem finding a high end stock or chassis that your expensive action will drop right into without any modification whatsoever. Or having unlimited choices in great triggers to choose from. Rem700 is ubiquitous and is the most common platform used as the basis for precision rifle builds, and that fact cannot be ignored if a company expects to sell product. Any custom action maker who doesn't design at least some of their actions for Rem700 stock inletting and trigger assy dimensions is making a huge mistake from a business perspective.

On Mauser 98/ Winchester 70 Classic/ Springfield 03 style CRF, that is less a practical matter, and more a decision to draw in the traditionalist who believes the system is more reliable than push feed (I don't), but who would like better selection of stocks and triggers than Mauser & Win actions enjoy, and want a modern custom action to base a build off of. The simple fact of combining characteristics of two competing schools of thought in rifle actions into one is appealing to some just because of uniqueness. It's The same reason Dakota decided to make their M97, which combines Rem inlet footprint with Win 70 CRF, long extractor, and 3-position wing safety.

On Savage barrel thread and nut system compatibility and interchangeable bolt heads, that then offers the shooter with no lathe and no machining experience the ability to change barrels and cartridge families quickly and easily (with a headspace gauge, of course) without needing a gunsmith to do it. Combining that with a Rem700 footprint means you have the principle advantage of Savage with much better stock, trigger, and magazine parts selection. It's the same reason the Bugnut and RemAge actions exist.

Mausingfield is the only action that offers all the above, making it unique and not just another well-made custom action competing with the many other fine custom actions. Not everyone will see the appeal sufficient to justify the price, but it does carve out a niche. This action then has some appeal to users of 3 competing action systems that normally doesn't cross paths with each other but who would like to build a custom rifle from a foundation that is better made than any of their pet factory actions.

Ted

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 09:47
I need to take some pictures and get them posted.  I have built a 22-250 on one.  Have a second I am building for a customer.  

I also agree with Rifedude's assessment of the action.  Basically it combines the better features of each action type out there.  

The only downside I see to the action is that it isn't stainless for how much it weighs.  You have to coat the action or it will rust.  I personally lean towards cerakote, but I am sure there are many other good options.

My current build is a 22-250 Rem.  20" shillen 1-8 barrel threaded 5/8x24.  HS Precision Stock with HS bottom metal.  Huber 2 stage 2.5 lb trigger.  Kahles 3-12 MSR/K reticle.  I am shooting an 80 gr Amax at 3275 fps with it.  Usually run a Ultra 7 suppressor on it.

Build for the customer will be a 6.5 Creedmore.  Still working out other specs on the barrel and stock options.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 11:25

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2017 at 22:54
I guess there are a few differences on my opinions than Rifledude's. He is as always correct in his assessment of the action itself. I happen to be a fan of controlled feed. Probably because my first rifle was a Mauser 98 action and i like the feel better than a push feed.

On the ejector, I like the 03 style. Run the bold fast it ejects the casing away. If you run is slow you can actually get the casing to stay and pull it out with you hand. This can be handy for those that like to keep the casing. I could give my thoughts on a possible sniper aspect of this but not relevant at this time.

I also like that you can get a 45 moa rail for it although I stick to 30 for most of my builds and setups. I like the way he designed it to lock up to the receiver. Hard as heck to get off if you need to. It could just be a mental think but seems to me like there would be less chance of it coming lose.

I don't mind the barrel nut. Even if you are like Ted and don't care for the look you can shoulder a barrel for the action. Head spacing is easy with the savage style.

I know many actions do this part but I really like it. Integrated recoil lug. I have a Rem 700 action torn apart and it just annoys me to have to keep track of the lug for when I get around to rebarreling it.

My 2 cents anyway. I am a really big fan of the action and will continue to build on them. As mention, the downsides are weight compared to other custom actions, and not stainless from what I have been told. I like a bead blast look but can't do it on this action. Have to cerakote for that look if you want it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2017 at 14:51
Thanks for posting the pics, Andrew. ARC chose to make the action out of heat treated 4340, for strength reasons. While a couple stainless alloys are more than strong enough for the purpose, that is their design decision, and the tradeoff is less corrosion resistance. If you want to apply a corrosion resistant finish that has the appearance of natural satin stainless, you could go with either silver Ion Bond or Robar's NP3+. Both are great finishes that will withstand a lot of wear. Cerakote is a good finish, one of if not the most wear resistant of the spray on finishes. It isn't as wear resistant as Ion Bond or NP3+, though. Ion Bond is a PVD nitride finish and NP3+ is an electroless nickel finish with added Teflon. The former is a bit more durable but the latter is more "self-lubricating."

For clarification, I don't dislike CRF. I have several CRF rifles, in fact. On certain rifles such as one with a blind magazine (like Kimber Montana and similar), I like a CRF action because you can quickly and easily unload a magazine with the rifle oriented level just by moving the bolt forward and backward without rotating the bolt handle into battery. With a push feed and blind mag, you would need to tilt the gun up and to the side to let gravity assist you with the same maneuver. I also prefer standing blade ejectors over plunger ejectors for the same reason you state. I also like it for retro-stalgic reasons. My only disagreement with CRF is I don't buy into the ridiculous hype surrounding it from the Pre-64 Mod 70 and Mauser 98 fanatics who would lead you to believe you're risking being killed by dangerous game if you're foolish enough to use any other action design than a traditional long extractor CRF. I believe the claims of it feeding more reliably and preventing short stroking/jamming is waaaaayyyyy overstated hyperbole. Bolt actions in general are extremely simple and reliable, and I've never seen any feeding issues with either CRF or PF actions as long as the rifle is assembled properly and the feed lips and follower are the correct geometry for the case. Because of this, I'm generally indifferent to CRF, and that feature alone isn't a strong selling point for me to sway me to buy an action. I neither object to having CRF nor seek it out. I prefer it on actions originally designed for it it simply because it's part of their classic identity.

I do not like Savage style barrel nuts because you need stock inletting clearance for it, and I think they're ugly. I'm not into the concept of changing calibers, and since I have a barrel vise and wrench and access to lathes, I prefer conventional shouldered barrel connections. I realize you can barrel a Mausingfield in the conventional way without a nut, but being adaptable to Savage-threaded barrels isn't a selling point for me.

Personally, I'm not a fan of its bolt knob. I think it looks like a Christmas tree ornament, though I realize that can be changed.

From an engineering and uniqueness standpoint, I think the Mausingfield is really cool. I like some unusual designs just for that reason alone. It is a well-made action, and I wouldn't mind owning one. I'm just personally not willing to spend $300 - $500 more for it vs some other custom actions because the selling points used to justify its higher price tag aren't compelling enough for me to buy it over other custom actions. It's nice that the rail attaches solidly, and I do like the integral recoil lug, but the Defiance Deviant has both an integral lug AND integral rail.

Edited by RifleDude - January/08/2017 at 14:56
Ted

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2017 at 21:51
I have ordered one after seeing one in our local gun shop. Very smooth action. The thing that appealed to me was the smoothness, the versatility as far as rebarreling, and the wide choice of stocks that will fit it since it has a Remington foot print.  Also, I understand that the extractor with the bolt closed does not touch the case rim, so alignment of the cartridge in the chamber is better theoretically.  I have several Savage actions and like them a lot because I can change the barrel in 10-15 minutes. The workmanship of the Mausingfield is much better though.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 13:48
The bolt knob looks like a door knob out the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York....( before they knocked it down to put the Empire State Building on the site...)  

Visit the Ed Show
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 07:37
Agreed, but wonder if the shape is functional in some way.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic