OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2017 Year of the Glass! Need glass advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Year of the Glass! Need glass advice.
    Posted: December/22/2016 at 20:43
So I am looking for a scope for my Bolt rifle 1000 yards. So I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 5-20x50 on my bolt rifle and it is great! It will be an amazing scope for my 6 mm turbo AR Upper(someday soon I hope). I originally bought a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 for my AR and when looking thru the glass it looked good crisp, clear and such. well $500 later its mounted and I look thru it and I have trouble with the super fine reticle imo and then I look at the Zeiss and I was shocked at the difference. the Zeiss was better(Brighter Clearer again imo) so i tell you all that to say my 2017 big money scope I am looking at a ATACR Not 1st FP I am not rich lo.. 5-25 or the new 30 something model, a Kahles or Zeiss. my father who is wiser than me has said "The Glass only gets you so far what really matters is the repeatably.) I don't have great eyes either so I have looked thru a atacr and it was really nice but i have not shot one. So to summarize my dad and I are weekend warriors shot 100 in the back yard or go to the range to shoot 1k also my life doesn't depend on it. Lastly I want to see what I am shooting at Again my father said "those 30+ power scopes (V8 or new atacr) will have much more mirage problems then a 25." So I really don't want so spend 3k but i dont want to spend 2500 on a NF and say D@mn !t i should have bought the _____. Also not everyone is a fan of the Kahles parallax but could you not get use to that? So i don't mean to be a negative Nancy about Vortex Its just not for Me. Thank you in Advance for any and all words of wisdom!

Edited by koshkin - December/23/2016 at 12:56
jmr1969 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmr1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2016 at 20:49
Also is any one else tired of gun shops or where ever trying to sell you the scope they have instead of trying to answer your questions honestly. Is it just me or is that annoying? Its like going to the Chevy dealer and asking about a Corvette and the sales person says well I got this Camaro here you should look at it, its better. LOL. Again T.I.A.!
jsthntn247 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsthntn247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2016 at 12:52

I shoot in tactical matches and havn't looked through anything better than a Kahles 6-24 with SKMR 3 reticle.  I have an Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 and the glass and repeatability on it has been great so far and it can be had for 1k less than the Kahles.  Both of those scopes are in the 40oz range so if weight is any consideration they won't do.  A Swarovski x5i 5-25 would fit the bill.  Also, I know you said no Vortex but the Razor AMG is a spectacular scope and would change your mind about Vortex is not cheap junk like there less expensive models and is made entirely in the USA.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2016 at 13:22
If you have $2500 to spend, you should be looking at Vortex Razor Gen II or AMG.

Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 is not my favourite design at all.

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2016 at 15:05
Originally posted by jmr1969 jmr1969 wrote:

So i don't mean to be a negative Nancy about Vortex Its just not for Me. 

Comparing the Vortex you have with all Vortex scopes is like saying a Vette is crap because you drove a Chevy Chevette once.

Vortex makes some very nice scope that are very good by pretty much anyone's standards.

Case in point the Vortex Razor Gen II.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2016 at 18:51
I agree on the Gen 2 vortex recommendation. I have the 3-18 and really like it. Inside 1400 yards or so, it is all the magnification you need.

I have a gen2 labels k624i and much, MUCH prefer everything about the vortex other than parallax and illumination.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic