OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2-10x DMR Style Advice Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-10x DMR Style Advice Needed
    Posted: December/14/2016 at 07:48
Im looking for a scope in the $350ish range for a paper punching 308 AR10. 

Range: 100-500 Yards
Budget: $400 (i have a few wholesale accounts so can take options up to 450-550 retail)

Options in mind so far:

1. Weaver Grand Slam Tactical - $350

2. Burris MTAC-30 3.5-10x = $300

Edited by Skylar McMahon - December/14/2016 at 07:57
-Zeke
zekers7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 07:50
Also looked into a Nikon Prostaff 7 2-10x BDC but feel like the two options above might be better value 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 07:51

http://opticstalk.com/the-ot-rules_topic5473.html

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 07:58
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
zekers7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 08:02
Appreciate the advice. You think its worth doubling the budget to go for the 3-9X HD SWFA?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 08:43
I have no experience with the Weaver or the Burris, but do have lots with the SS3-9.  In point of fact, I have a DMR-like rifle that wears an SS3-9 and like the setup immensely.

Someone with intimate knowledge of the 2 listed maybe can chime in.

For what you plan to do, the SS might be overkill price-wise, but I have yet to hear anyone complain that their scope was too good, too much resolution, too good tracking.  

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 10:22
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I have no experience with the Weaver or the Burris, but do have lots with the SS3-9.  In point of fact, I have a DMR-like rifle that wears an SS3-9 and like the setup immensely.

Someone with intimate knowledge of the 2 listed maybe can chime in.

For what you plan to do, the SS might be overkill price-wise, but I have yet to hear anyone complain that their scope was too good, too much resolution, too good tracking.  

Goes with "Girl too pretty, To much money and too much fun." Heck I think somebody's even wrote a song about it!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 13:40
The SS 3-9x42 was designed for DMR application, so fi you can swing it, it is a really good way to go.

If you are planning to run the turrets a lot, I definitely recommend the SS.  In its price range, it is likely the best option available.

Otherwise, both the Burris and the Weaver are decent options.  The Grand Slam Tactical, if I remember correctly, is only avialable from one retailer since it made especially for them and it is a version of the previous generation Grand Slam which was a very respectable scope.  

The MTAC30 3.5-10x40 has been discontinued, so I am not sure where you found it.  Optically, the Grand Slam is a touch better, but I prefer the G2B reticle in the MTAC30 to the standard MilDot in the Weaver.  Mechanically, both are decent.

That having said, the SS 3-9x42 is better than the other two scopes mentioned here both optically and mechanically, and has a better reticle IMO.  Reticle choice is sorta personal though.

ILya

zekers7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zekers7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2016 at 17:39
Appreciate all the advice. Just picked up the Sig Optics Tango 4 3-12x for $500. Thought it was a good price for a FFP scope

I own a bunch of the other stuff (Romeo 4M, 4B, 5 and Bravo 4) and have been thrilled with the quality of the red dots and the bravo combat optic. 

A little worried about the weight but will report in once i have a chance to play with it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic