OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First shots with SWFA SS 3-15x 42mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstumpf750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First shots with SWFA SS 3-15x 42mm
    Posted: December/11/2016 at 21:08
I picked up a SS 3-15x 42mm along with an American Defense Recon QD 20moa mount during the Black Friday sale. Just got to goto the range and site it in on my POF P308 with a 16" barrel. If shot it at 50 yards just to get it on paper. Well, I got a huge shock. It was also dead on with no adjustments. Then I did a few shots at 100 yards. It was a little high, but I didn't get to correct it. Ran out of light as it was late in the afternoon. Needless to say I'm very impressed. Never had a gun shoot almost dead on with a scope that was fresh out of the box. Most weren't even on the paper. Needless to say I am very happy. Can't wait to get it really zeroed in and test the accuracy of my P308. Also, I was very impressed with the low light performance of the scope as was my friend and his son.
Chedr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2016 at 22:28
I also got the SS 3-15x42 on Black Friday went to the range on Thursday with my Aero precision 16" LR308 and only needed 2 clicks of left at 100 yards out of the box. This is my first SWFA scope and I am impressed. Been a Vortex man until now but the SWFA scope is definitely giving them a run for the money. Looking forward to learning how to use Mil/Mil at longer ranges. I ordered 2 of these scopes and glad I did because I'm building an AR 6.5 creed to go under the other one.Bandito
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 08:14
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 08:57
Possibly dumb question, but you do bore site these, right?  You don't mount and shoot?  Right?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chedr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 10:07
Actually I just did a mount and shoot. 1 shot at 25 yards to confirm on paper then out to 100 yards. Dumb luck?????? I don't know but I'm impressed.
Chedr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 10:10
I hope to mount the second one and get out this week interested to see if results are similar. 
Chedr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 10:13
I have a laser bore sight but that generally only gets me to paper anyway still have necessary fine tuning.
I rarely use it anymore. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2016 at 10:17
Whatever works for you.

I usually do the "down the bore" and bring the reticle close.  Obviously, the smaller the caliber, the easier it is to do well.

And regardless of method of mounting or bore sighting, you still have to zero with actual rounds on target.

Glad you are happy so far.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 15:19
I am not surprised. I planned on one of these this year but got jacked the week before. I want to use it on a FAL rifle.
The SS brand is like the best kept secret! I know a bunch of guys that never considered them until using my rigs.
Those mounts are sweet too. Make sure the nuts are set to engage lever tension at the same angles and always push mount forward and to the right and you will have great repeatability.
Important to NOT merely line up the screw slots on the nuts and think that the two levers are set with the same tension. The threads on the nuts are not timed in any way. So adjust them till the throw lever angles are identical when they begin to make contact and come under tension.
ADM is awesome! And it won't tear the sh*t outta your rifle.
Imagine that!!!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 16:42
I toy with the idea of going to the SS 3-9 to save 5 oz (and will on a new ultra-light hunting rig I'm building) but the SS 3-15 has been a great partner for my Tikka.
Reaction time is a factor...
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2017 at 23:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Possibly dumb question, but you do bore site these, right?  You don't mount and shoot?  Right?

Bore site??  That's for engineers.  I just close my eyes and use the force.  HaHaHaShocked
Stamp collecting since 2015
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 08:14
I thought I smelled one of your thoughts.... Cool  the farce....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 08:30
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Bore site??  That's for engineers.  I just close my eyes and use the force.  HaHaHaShocked
Engineers don't use a bore sight either! They measure, scribe, align, re-measure and lockdown. Recheck torque to specs. Stamp to certify. 😏
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic