OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need advice and new scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice and new scope
    Posted: December/04/2016 at 15:13
Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to the centerfire rifle world and I'd like some suggestions.  I recently bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather .243 and I need a scope for it.  I plan on using this gun as a "do all" multipurpose rifle. 
My intended uses are mainly, casual target practice, steel plinking out to 600Yrds. (My local range)  Paper punching at 100yd. for load development/testing.  And lastly, deer and coyote hunting. (0-250yds. maybe farther...)

I would prefer a quality external adjustable MIL/MIL turrets and reticle for plinking and target practice out to 600yd.
And something that lets in enough light to be suitable for dawn/dusk hunting.  (30mm tube is good right?)  
I don't think that illumination is necessary, but it might be nice.  I don't' know about Parallax adjustment.   Or what magnification i should get?  3-9?  6x?  10x?   I'm open to all suggestions!    
I need something durable that can handle use in all weather conditions.

Must be under $600. Big Smile   

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 15:50
Bushnell Elite 6500 is a great scope. So is the SWFA SS. Best advice I can give is go to a store that carries them and view the glass itself. Meopta, Vortex are also some others that are in contention. SWFA's recommended a lot due to great QC and CS while producing a real quality optic.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 15:54
SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 16:00
swfa.com/Ruger-M77-30mm-C726.aspxhttp://  Leupold makes some 30 mm rings or you can order stainless ones from Ruger. The Ruger rings use a different size wrench than everything else in the world so use what comes with them (good and snug but not cranked down and over tightened).
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$299.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
slm9s View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slm9s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 16:52
SS 3-9 would be best for you
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 17:43
Yeah, sounds like what I'd say. SS 3-9x is a good choice, based on your needs. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
wolverine3759 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 18:24
Hmm, that SWFA SS 3-9 looks like a good choice. That 6x might work too...

I just saw a Leopold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40, at my local shop. $520. 30mmtube. Looked good.
Any thoughts on the Leopold vs SS 3-9?
Unfortunately, I've never seen any SWFA in person before, so I' might have to order one sight unseen.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 18:32
I have both the vxr and Ss 3-9s. The SS has better glass. But the illumination system in the vxr is awesome. In my case adjustments are true on both. Vxr is second focal plan ss is first.

So in my opinion if u need illumination go leupold if not go ss
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 19:07
Thanks for that insight super tool.

Bothscopes are fixed parallax right, any issues on either one?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 19:27
6x the parallax adjusts where the power ring would be on a variable. The 3-9 has no parallax adjustment but has been my favorite scope due to reasonable size and fantastic performance.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 19:41
No issues for me with parallax. If u line up behind your scope pefectly the same everytime parrallax becomes a minut issue on medium mag scopes.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 22:05
Do they still make the SS 6x42 with a regular mil dot?  I would probably be served just fine with a 6x42, although I'm afraid that the Mill-Quad reticle will be too small/too fine at only 6 power.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2016 at 22:49
For what you want, I think the SS 3-9x42 is your best bet.  The 6x42 is a fine scope, but the variable will really work better once you start extending the range a bit.  It is also better optically (higher contrast), so you will find it performing better in low light.

There are other good designs out there, but it basically comes down to what you want to do.  If you primary use is hunting, the field opens up.  However, if you want to do some precision shooting in addition to that, you are really better served by looking for a mid-range variable with front focal plane reticle and turrets that match it.  In your price range, the SS 3-9x42 is almost the only game in town.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2016 at 08:59
My concern with the 6X, as a fellow hunter, would be a close range yote runninig, good luck finding that in the scope and making the shot.

Great caliber, by the way, I am a huge 243 fan, awesome bullet selection, awesome ballistics, easy to reload, mild recoil, great effect on target (assuming you choose the right bullet for the task at hand.)

I didn't look at your barrel twist but if it will stabilize the 115s and you are a loader, consider those a must-have.  Mine loves Berger 105 hybrids too.  For hunting, I prefer the 105 Amax pushed fast.

If you plan to do any stalking, consider that the perfect range turret (tall, easy to read, easy to manipulate) is very imperfect in the woods (snags on everything, spins when the rifle is cross-slung), you need to prioritize.  I really like Christmas tree reticles for that purpose: can run capped turrets and still make precise and accurate shots at range with no "kentucky" in the equation.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2016 at 09:34
Originally posted by wolverine3759 wolverine3759 wrote:

And something that lets in enough light to be suitable for dawn/dusk hunting.  (30mm tube is good right?)   

You have received great advice on this thread so far.  Just one note on the above.  It is a common misconception that a 30mm tube scope is somehow "brighter" than a 1 inch scope.  Tube size doesn't affect brightness (just offers additional internal adjustment), so don't discount 1 inch tube models that meet your criteria.

-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2016 at 09:42
I appreciate the input from both of you!
I think your right, the 3-9 will probably fit me best. I think I'll save up my money for a few more weeks and then order the SS 3-9.    Does SWFA usually have a online Christmas/New Years sale?

Rancid, my barrel is a 1/9 twist. I'll have to give those 105s a try.       😀     
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolverine3759 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2016 at 09:46
Alright, good to know, thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic