OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a 220 Swift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a 220 Swift
    Posted: November/21/2016 at 10:13
Came across a Remington 700 Varmint in 220 Swift that is coming home to me.  Always had a soft spot for the 22 centerfire and this will get added to my 22-250 and 223 Remington with a triple deuce sometime in the future.

This will serve as a target/varmint rifle out to 600 yards and should do well as a hog rifle in the ~150lb range.

Preference is something with a top end around 18x and optical quality in the Leupold VX-6/Swarovski Z5 range.  Christmas tree reticle, FFP and turrets preferred.  Price point is in the $1000 to $1500 range.

I have a Burris XTR II 3-15x50 on my 22-250 and a SWFA 3-15x42 on my 223 Rem, plus I have the Razor Gen II 3-18x50 on one of my ARs and the SWFA 5-20x50 on a 260 Rem LR rifle

Ones I'm considering include:

Obviously some compromises involved in some of the candidates.  The VX-6 are scopes I use on my hunting rifles, but are SFP and capped turrets.  SWFA is a solid choice and Black Friday makes it very attractive.  I'm pleased with the Burris XTR II but definitely giving something up compared to the SWFA option.

Sig Tango6 and Steiner T5Xi are totally new to me.  Reviewed Ilya's comments on OpticsThoughts for both of them, which was encouraging but still hearing noise about the turrets/customer issues on the T5Xi.  Price point is a little higher than my budget.

While the idea of trying a new scope is always intriguing, appreciate your thoughts.  Am I missing other possible candidates? Other considerations I should take in to account?

How does the Sig Tango6, Steiner T5Xi and SWFA 5-20x stack up against each other?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2016 at 16:18
I put the Burris Eliminator III on my Remington Etronx in 220 Swift.  The glass is only "moderate", but everything else about the scope is very good.  My Nikon Laser IRT has a remote that doesn't come with the Eliminator, but controls are easy to find and manipulate.  The combination of Etronx/Eliminator is awesome.  I've not really exercised "precision" with the combo, but accuracy is amazing.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2016 at 16:46
I remember coming across the Etronx when I was looking for my 220 Swift.  I remember when they were released and see them on some of the auction sites.  Concept definitely is intriguing.

I'm going to look at the Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50.  I'm not sold on the hype, but curious enough to give it a run.  Mil/LE discount will help ease the pain if it doesn't work out.  Worse case, I'll flip it to a 22LR benchrest rifle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2016 at 17:06
Should be a deadly setup… 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic