OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dry nitrogen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antibeous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dry nitrogen
    Posted: August/24/2006 at 17:24

i have tinkered with my bushnell sportsman, and let the dry nitrogen leak out. so as you probably know the thing now fogs up like theres no tomarrow. well I was wandering could I buy the nitrogen and refill the scope myself or do you have to be a certifide technician for that type of thing. and will the seals and all still hold, or have I really messed up.

also:

if I can buy it and do this thing myself where could I find the stuff.

I promise I won't mess with the lenses of my scope again, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

polarcow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarcow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2006 at 23:18

How did it leak out, did you remove the objective/ocular? You still need greased threads and everything for the seals to hold. You can probably go to national welders. You may not have to buy a nitrogen tank as it would not take much to fill your scope. The biggest problem will be keeping the nitrogen in the tube while you are sealing it up. One possible thing you can do is to put the scope into a trash bag or something. Make a small tear just big enough to insert the hose and tape around it. Let the gas run a couple minutes then tie up the bag leaving the hose in. Put the hose in the scope as best you can, let it run a couple minutes (watch the pressure if you have a wire reticle) and then seal up the scope without opening the bag and that's it. Might not work too good and may not be worth the effort but it's all I can think of. Good luck.

By the way, it doesn't have to be nitrogen. Any stable gas (Argon, neon (?), pure oxygen and maybe even propane, butane but if it leaks look out :) should do. If you live near a college that teaches chemistry and know someone who works there then that's your best bet for nitrogen.

-polarcow

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2006 at 08:37
You may have to just break down and send it back to Bushnell, and have them repair it..Did it have the warranty on it before the nitrogen leaked out? If it did, it most likely won't now....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic