OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a 6.8 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cody0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a 6.8 scope
    Posted: October/31/2016 at 11:52
I am looking for a scope to put on my 6.8 SPC with an 18" ARP barrel. I will be using this rifle to hunt deer out to 300 yards. I have a budget of $500. 
cody0707 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cody0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 11:53
Not sure how I edit the original post but I failed to mention the scope needs to be a 1" tube as I already have an Aero Precision mount that fits the 1"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 12:10
Leupold VX3i, Bushnell 3500, Vortex Viper, Meopta Meopro, are all good choices. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
vortech347 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortech347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 14:24
Illuminated?  Does it need to be a true 1x on the bottom?

Here is a good option.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-4x20-Mark-AR-MOD-1-Riflescope-P60889.aspx

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on mine but it's a 30mm scope.  For the money $329 I'm real happy with it.

cody0707 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cody0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 15:13
Originally posted by vortech347 vortech347 wrote:

Illuminated?  Does it need to be a true 1x on the bottom?

I have a 5.56 that will be my CQB rifle. This rifle will be focused on hunting. I would want something that could gather plenty of light in the mornings/late evenings. I would also want something that could pick up a moving target at closer distances in case I go hog hunting. 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 15:20
For those looking at 30mm rings, I'll echo the choice of a 1-6 (or any scope with a small or no objective bell. Best cheek weld I've ever gotten on any rifle is with an AR using Seekins low rings and an SS 1-6. Instant great eye relief too. You're just on. (And, yes, I've had rifles with fully adjustable risers).
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortech347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 15:29
Light gathering should not be an issue if you go with a low power variable.

What you state is exactly why I have a 1-6 on my 6.8 and an Aimpoint on my SBR 5.56.

I stand and stalk hunt with my 6.8.  A 1-4 or 1-6 variable should work great for what you need.

I would suggest going with some type of illumination if you plan to stalk hunt pigs.  At 1x my Strike Eagle is only a bit slower to get behind than a RDS.  Without the illumination it would be useless at night.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2016 at 16:25

Slightly over your $500 budget but I'd look at one of these   -

http://www.samplelist.com/Trijicon-3-9x40-AccuPoint-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P100873.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/Trijicon-3-9x40-AccuPoint-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-C-P98800.aspx

Good glass, illuminated, 1" tube, reticle is great for low light hunting and more than sufficient for hunting precision, will have good balance on an AR platform as well.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortech347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2016 at 08:54
So to add to your thread.

I had a chance to shoot a pig Sunday night and missed.  Hammer Hit

We were driving my buddies property in his WW2 era jeep.  I had my 16" 6.8 AR with my Recce 7 suppressor on it shooting Federal XM68GD.  I have the Strike Eagle on it set to 1x.

We stirred up a big black hog and stopped.  I jumped out of the jeep, charged the rifle and turned my light on.  I could see the pig in my scope, however, I forgot to turn illumination on prior to us starting our drive.   So I could not see the reticle on the black pig.

It all happened in just 2-3 seconds before the pig ran off but I missed and I partially blame it on the fact I did not have my reticle turned on.  I'm pretty sure I would have hit the pig had I had it on as it was not that difficult of a shot and was only at about 15 yards.  But I had one shot to take and missed and the pig ran off.

I did not feel like the scope slowed me down enough over a RDS to be the issue.  I just couldn't see the reticle even with a really bright flashlight (Fenix TK32).

So long story short, whatever you pick get an illuminated reticle for night shooting.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2016 at 11:07
The VX-R type illumination will automatically turn on when you move the gun.  Or trijicon illumination is always on.  If I were shooting in low light a lot, it would be a ill reticle like one of those. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vortech347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2016 at 11:16
BIG price difference.  And it wasn't the way the illumination is managed that was the problem.  I neglected to turn it on prior.

The only thing I don't like about the illumination on my Strike Eagle is that it does not have the off stops in between the brightness levels.  The PST scope does so you don't have to click through the levels to get where you want it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic