OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for sons rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for sons rifle
    Posted: August/23/2006 at 08:30

im looking for a scope for on my sons rifle rem 700  30/06. something with a generous eye relief. this is his first yaer hunting and he is shooting light recoiling loads just looking to keep from getting the old wack in the eye. iwas thinking of a simmons atec or smith & wesson 3x9x42. any suggestions ?

muhgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muhgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2006 at 18:03
I'd prefer a better name brand with maybe a lower magnification but better glass, rather than a cheaper brand with more magnification but glass that isn't as good. The better glass is usually worth more than the extra magnification.

In the 2-7 range, maybe look at the Leupold VX-I scopes around $200 or the Leupold VX-II scopes around $300. I've got one of the fixed magnification 2.5x VX-II scopes and the glass is pretty reasonable for the price.

Check out the thread below on the "tactical" scopes side and read Urimaginaryfrnd's suggestions on 3-9 power scopes in the $400 range.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4122&PN=1

Also, don't forget to check out The Sample List.

-Tod
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2006 at 20:06

Hello Davem

Look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $260, it will even outperform the VX III.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 is the best value in 3-9 hunting scopes at this time.

Muhgi(Tod)

Urimaginaryfrnd did a great job "giving it" in that post, dont worry you did just as good of a job

"recieving it". Did your eternal quest finally end in the Burris vs Leupold post in the tactical

section? And no Tactical and Hunting scopes are not the same, Sorry Just my opinion, you

were shure fast to remove yours!

Trinidad

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 08:42

The Bushnell is a good buy at $260.  The Burris FF II 3-9X40 for $190 is a better buy.

What does "It will outperform the VX III" mean?

muhgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muhgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 09:51
mwyates, usually when people say that one scope will outperform another, they mean that they think the glass and magnification of one scope give you a better, clearer, brighter picture than another scope.

"Better" can also mean the scope has less chance of lossing integrity and fogging up, less chance of the reticle or reticle adjustment mechanism breaking and things of that nature.

For people that don't want to spend silly amounts like I do on scopes like Swarovski, I tend to suggest Leupold. While some claim the lower level Leupold glass is not as good as other similarly priced scopes, people that take their scopes into dangerous and abusive situations (military, police, dangerous game hunters) have found Leupold scopes to generally hold up better and be more reliable than similarly priced brands. And, when I did my testing of FX-II Leupold glass against Swarovski glass, while the Swarovski was a definate winner, the FX-II was more than adequate--it took a lot of careful observation to determine a difference. (The difference was in relative ease of reading highway signs at several hundred yards.)

BTW, none of us have directly addressed eye relief since with the better scopes, this shouldn't be an issue with a 30-06. The 2.5x FX-II that I have has something around 5 inches IIRC.

(Edited--obviously a fixed Leupold is an FX not a VX, but we think that the II means they share the same level of glass.)
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 10:57

Hello mwyates

It is my opinion that the optical quality is a little better on the 4200's than the VX III's

you also get the rainguard and now with this 4200 3-9 you also get the compact size

of the Leupold. I am not a big fan of Leupold hunting scopes I feel that they are

overpriced for the features you get. I am a fan of the Leupold M1 tacticals, although

they lack a little in optical quality compared to scopes like Nightforce and IOR I like

thier features and I am able to buy them at large discount prices. I do not recommend

the purchase of any Leupold scope at regular price or the purchase of any used scope.

I am not a fan of the Fullfield II,I feel that the little extra money goes a long way in this

price range.

Muhgi

I do not have any expierience with the FX line from Leupold but I am glad to hear that you

like yours, it sounds like a good scope.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 11:05

Davem,

Before I even finished reading your post, I was already thinking Simmons Aetec.  They have the most forgiving and generous eye relief of any scope.  Very easy for kids and non-experienced shooters to use.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 13:06

Good for you, Chris.    I think we've got a habit here of responding to "what should I get" questions with VX III, Conquest, 4200 or something even more expensive.  Just look at the posts that start out "that's OK, but you should spend a little more and..."  A lot of folks drop by, looking for some advice on something inexpensive. Chris is the first one that answered the question.

muhgi,

I've got a 6X42 FX III and several VX III's and a VX L.  The FX has a brighter and sharper view; I assume because of less glass surfaces.

muhgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muhgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 13:24
mwyates-

Cool! Thanks for the feedback on the FX compared to the other scopes. I think you are right about the better view because of the simpler setup of the fixed scope. One of the problems with advice is that you have to find someone that has actual experience with the scope you are asking about. That is why I tried to give you a range of prices to investigate, since I didn't know about those specific models.

I wish they made the 2.5x FX-II with a illuminated reticle. Or better yet, a 1.75x32 FX-II illuminated reticle with Swarovski rail and the Swarovski style circle-dot reticle (duplex crosshairs with illuminated cirle dot), as long as I'm wishing...

-Tod
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 14:00
849986 New Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope New Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Long Eye Relief
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

849418 Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $129.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 15:42

Chris,

You said "I was already thinking Simmons Aetec.  They have the most forgiving and generous eye relief of any scope"   (sorry, don't know how to make cute little box)...... I was looking at your website and it shows the

eye relief for this scope to be 3.5 inches......... Loopies are 4 or more........ what's the story?

take em!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 15:56

I haven't got to play with the new AETEC since Meade bought Simmons, so I don't know if they are the same as the original.  We have a few original model trade ins and I still have several on personal guns.  It was the first scope to use aespherical lenses giving you a super wide field of view that is clear out to the edges.....the eye relief is also the same on every power.    When I mention the eye relief being forgiving I mean that you can move your head forward and backward, left and right and the scope does not black out.  The extra large ocular really makes the scope easy to use.

You really have to have one in your hands to understand.  The length of the eye relief is not relevant in the scope being forgiving or easier to use.  We have some scout scope and handgun scopes with really long eye relief and they are the hardest of all scopes to use.

If you get a chance to play with an Aetec, you will see what I mean.

davem View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2006 at 15:06
 thanks for all your replys , i think i may go with the simmons atec. thanks again guys
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 09:17

First scope I shot a deer with on a 30-06 was an 8x Weaver on my grandfathers Springfield, and the fixed 4x and 6x Weavers are simple and reliable. You pick it up and you know what to expect - nothing to adjust and nothing to have out of adjustment. For a beginning shooter that can be a good thing.  I have only owned one Simmons and I hope never to own another one as I relpaced it with a Tasco 3-9x40 World Class $30 scope which was a significant improvement then I put the Simmons on a pellet gun. My preference is Leupold and Nikon but if you are wanting longer eye relief so the kid doesnt get a black eye I think this one makes sense:

Eye Relief (in): 4.625

849986 New Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope New Weaver 6x38 Classic K6 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Long Eye Relief
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now

I have a Nikon Omega scope on a Musket that has 5 in eye relief and that is way forward.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic