OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What am I seeing ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What am I seeing ?
    Posted: October/23/2016 at 20:22
Here is an odd question . Started not to even ask but it keeps gnawing at me. And probably one of our experienced optics gurus knows the exact answer. The other evening I was doing some scope testing and came back in the house to the kitchen where we have a overhead light fixture with 2 bulbs. I had a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 in my hand with the objective lens up. So I see this almost mirror reflection of those 2 bulbs overhead. Out of curiosity I go get a Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 and put it under the light. Now I can see only very little reflection. Try it with a Schmidt and Bender and there's improvement over the Leupold but not nearly as ch of a mirror type reflection as the Diavari. Just found it interesting and couldn't explain it.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2016 at 20:55
Glass and glass coatings reflect light. Nothing to worry about.

dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 08:40
Yes. I understand that glass -coatings reflect light. What was very odd to me was that with the Zeiss there was an almost mirror image and the Leupold barely reflected. Are not coatings referred to as anti-reflective coatings ?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 12:23
How much of a reflection you see with your eye depends on the coatings, but also n the shape of the glass and the angle at which you are viewing.

The best test on whether that makes a difference is to use the scope around sunset time and see if you have veiling glare issues.  

ILya
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 09:03
Thanks ILya.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic