OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Optics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgcurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting Optics?
    Posted: August/22/2006 at 13:09

In my quest for good glass for hunting I have come to realize that I am going to be spending $300-500.  Let's just say I can't do that anytime soon.  Instead of buying a cheaper Binocular whynot spend my money on a high quality Monocular?  Like the IOR 10x25?  It is lighter easier to pack and carry, and appears to be great glass comparitively speaking.  Am I way of the mark here? 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I don't carry any optics into the field with me right now other then a scope on a rifle once in a while.

Thanks for any and all help and info,

rgc

Wheels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 13:30
I find monoculars very hard to hold steady, no depth percecption and viewing with both eyes open is natural compared to just one eye.  Save your money and get something nice, there is a lot of good binoculars out there in the $300-$500 range.
Good Luck
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 13:35

1. While a monocular will work, it won't give you the depth of field that I find essential in a hunting optic.  I would recommend waiting until you can get what you want, or spend what the monocular would cost on a lessr pair of binocs.  There's some really good stuff out there for not a lot of money if you look around, and search this forum.

2. On not carrying optics, forgetting my binoculars is about as bad as forgetting my weapon.  I bow hunt and pistol hunt almost exclusively, so the distances I'm looking are short, maximum 50 yds; usually 20 or less.  Still, I need my binocs, sometimes just to observe, but usually to tell me more about what I'm looking at. 

rgcurrey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgcurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 14:20
Thanks guys.  mwyates, I agree on the whole optics thing, I have passed on deer that were good size (for these parts) and within range of my rifle, but, I just wanted to know more about the antlers before taking a shot. 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 16:04

Have you checked the Sample list?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 22:19
If price is your main concern go on-line & look up www.GarrettOptical.com. You can buy a quality binocular for under $200. After you spend some time on the web-site I think you will appreciate the products that are available from this company at very reasonable prices. Just make sure that the model you are interested in is a 'center-focus'. (they sell alot of binoculars with individual focusing.)

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 14:53

I've been wondering...

On this and a couple other sites I frequent I have noticed an increase in the number of inquiries relating to monoculars.  I haven't done any kind of study or analysis but, it just seems like a lot of people are interested in them lately.  I'm pretty sure we aren't seeing a large influx of people who are blind in one eye starting to become involved in the outdoors so, I wonder what has happened to peak people's interest in this kind of optic?

I have a theory but, I'd like to hear what y'all think before I finalize it....

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 21:23
lucznik

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but when I am interested in a particular optics manufacturer I will go to their web-site & look over their line of products. (Perhaps there is a demand out there that we are unaware of & some compaines are starting to respond to the change in the market.) I was looking at the Vixen web-site recently & they offer two monoculars in their product line.
If you want to see something interesting go to www.VixenAmerica.com & on the home page click on spotters & then scroll down to the soft case for Geoma 67mm & click on spotter accessories. Check out the picture of the handheld spotter being used like a high-powered monocular.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2006 at 21:23
Until you provided the web address, I had never heard of Vixen America, let alone the Geoma spotter so; I can't speak to the quality of this particular optic.  However, I have used my Leupold GoldRing 10-20x40 compact spotter in much the same way as is being shown in the pictures you mention and it works very well indeed. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic