OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

5.56 reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.56 reloading
    Posted: October/20/2016 at 06:04
What do you guys measure cases to and find wont chamber? I reloaded some and most chamber, but a few won't. 

The brass is LC, and I used a rock chucker with Lee Dies I think. 

Is it better to just buy the brass already processed? I have enough primers, powder and bullets to look 1000 rounds, but I need them to function in my AR.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 07:26
Get rid of the lee dies, grab you some RCBS small base dies.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 07:41

sounds almost like you were just borderline with your die setting that most are ok but some that needed more work didn't get it.....  Small base dies as mentioned above are good to help this but also make sure you have your dies set correctly.  Load in small batches to check function before going on to a big batch..

I've also see guys get tired and not fully manipulate the arms on the press loading in big batches... this'll call issues too.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 08:18
Get a Wilson case gauge. I don't reload a magazine without running my reloads through one.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 09:06
+1 on a case gauge. I use a Dillon case gauge, and it works for me.
Setting up my dies according to the die directions didn't even get me close to specs. With the case gauge I was able to get the case properly sized and trimmed, by properly setting up my size and trim dies.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 09:06
+3 on buying a case gauge.  Lyman, Wilson, Dillon all make them.  Basically its just a spec chamber that you can drop you resized brass into to make sure it will fit.  Possibly you are just not pushing the shoulder back quite far enough.  The case gauge can tell you those things.

I would try that before changing dies.  I have loaded thousands and thousands of 223 with Lee dies and they have worked fine for me. 

Small base dies are a good thought too.  Especially if you are sizing brass that was not shot in your gun or you just have a rifle with a tight chamber.   

I have bought supposedly process brass before.  I have always still had to resize it.  I bought 1000 300 blk brass that the guy claimed he had completely processed and it was ready to load.  Nearly all of the still had the military crimp in them, needed the shoulder pushed back farther, had not had the primer pockets cleaned out etc.  He should have just called them cut and shaped brass, not fully processed brass.  IMO its always best to do all that yourself.  Then you know it is done to your spec and need. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 15:58
What do you like for a case trimmer?

I use my rock chucker, and then I have a powder thrower, so I go through in batches. I resize and deprime. Then remove the crimp. Then I usually run through the tumbler.

Then I use a hand primer to prime them, and fill up a tray of 50. Then throw the powder. Then seat bullets. 

The Lee dies are not my favorite. 

I have the progressive addition for it, but that thing doesn't work worth a flip. I need to just send it to RCBS and tell them to make it work or send me something I can use. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 19:33
I have a few of these trimmers and they are the bomb. https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2016 at 07:41

[QUOTE=supertool73]I have a few of these trimmers and they are the bomb. https://littlecrowgunworks.com/product/worlds-finest-trimmer-wft/?v=7516fd43adaa[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2016 at 08:34
What he said! LOL!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2016 at 10:21
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

I have the progressive addition for it, but that thing doesn't work worth a flip. I need to just send it to RCBS and tell them to make it work or send me something I can use. 

For a progressive take a look at the Hornady, they are around $400ish.  I have had one since 2002 (i think) and loaded 10s of thousands of rounds with it.  It makes fantastic ammo.  I can make 1/2 moa ammo with it.  I have been very happy with it over the years.  Often 223 is a high volume round and being able to load 300 to 400 rounds an hour is a great thing. 

I have used a few Dillons and they are top notch, but quite a bit more money.  I would love to own a 650, but cannot justify it since my Hornady has been so good to me.  You can buy auto case and bullet feeders for hornady as well.  A guy could make some serious ammo then.   

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2016 at 16:14
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Get a Wilson case gauge. I don't reload a magazine without running my reloads through one.

SPOT ON. I have this one too. Time and frustration saver...BIG time. 

I crimp my AR rounds too. Lee makes a decent one.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2016 at 16:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

+3 on buying a case gauge.  Lyman, Wilson, Dillon all make them.  Basically its just a spec chamber that you can drop you resized brass into to make sure it will fit.  Possibly you are just not pushing the shoulder back quite far enough.  The case gauge can tell you those things.

I would try that before changing dies.  I have loaded thousands and thousands of 223 with Lee dies and they have worked fine for me. 

Small base dies are a good thought too.  Especially if you are sizing brass that was not shot in your gun or you just have a rifle with a tight chamber.   

I have bought supposedly process brass before.  I have always still had to resize it.  I bought 1000 300 blk brass that the guy claimed he had completely processed and it was ready to load.  Nearly all of the still had the military crimp in them, needed the shoulder pushed back farther, had not had the primer pockets cleaned out etc.  He should have just called them cut and shaped brass, not fully processed brass.  IMO its always best to do all that yourself.  Then you know it is done to your spec and need. 

Great post. 

I too have used Lee dies exclusively for .223 with no problems, but I like the small base recommendations here.  
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2016 at 16:55
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Great post. 

I too have used Lee dies exclusively for .223 with no problems, but I like the small base recommendations here.  
Ditto. Never a problem with the Lee dies and you get the most excellent Lee taper crimp die with the full set. Still, small base dies are never a bad option for self loaders.

Lockjaw,
You mentioned tumbling your brass after sizing. That raised an eyebrow. You might try loading a batch that was tumbled before sizing instead and see if your problem goes away. It isn't out of the question that some mechanical case inconsistency occurs randomly during the tumbling process.

Ps There's some good stuff in this thread!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2016 at 18:03
I tumble, (rarely) with walnut hulls. If you should tumble after primer removal, be careful you don't have a small piece of media stuck in the primer pocket when you reprime the case.   
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 07:11
How about the Lee deluxe case trimmer? Usually when I tumble after resizing I use compressed air to clear the primer pockets.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 09:14
Oh and can I drop a loaded case in a case gauge to check it? I have probably about 500 rounds loaded and some functions, some doesn't. I want to be able to separate the ones I need to pull apart and resize the case before reloading again. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 10:19
Yes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2016 at 17:43
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

Oh and can I drop a loaded case in a case gauge to check it? I have probably about 500 rounds loaded and some functions, some doesn't. I want to be able to separate the ones I need to pull apart and resize the case before reloading again. 

Perfect for that. 
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 14:13
Ok I ordered the case gage and also the WFT in 223. I figure I can pull apart the ones that don't fit and save the powder and just trim them and put back together. 

I have 440 cases that are sized, deprimed, and decrimped that I could trim and load. I have 3 pounds of powder, 500 bullets, and 1000 primers. I have more brass. 

And no bench....... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic