OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cheap Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Scope
    Posted: August/22/2006 at 10:32
I am looking at buying an inexpensive scope for my rifle.  I will only use this scope 2-3 times a year but I need it for long range shooting.  I am looking at Barska, NCStar, and A1 optics.  I am looking @ a 6x32  50mm scope from each manufacturer.  I will be mounting it on a 300 win mag and sighting it in at 350 yds.  I have always used Leupolds but the equal scope form the is around a grand.  Since I rarely use this rifle I was trying to save a little but.  I was wondering if any of the three brands would ne better for me?  I know I will not get the quality of my Leupolds, but I just want something I can use to get the job done.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 16:13

Something has to give in this equation!  Since you are going to put it on a 300 mag I think you need to cut the magification, improve the resolution and think about a fixed power scope to help keep the cost down.  Look at the Super Sniper 10x

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by cobra cobra wrote:

I am looking at buying an inexpensive scope for my rifle.  I will only use this scope 2-3 times a year but I need it for long range shooting.  I am looking at Barska, NCStar, and A1 optics.  I am looking @ a 6x32  50mm scope from each manufacturer.  I will be mounting it on a 300 win mag and sighting it in at 350 yds.  I have always used Leupolds but the equal scope form the is around a grand.  Since I rarely use this rifle I was trying to save a little but.  I was wondering if any of the three brands would ne better for me?  I know I will not get the quality of my Leupolds, but I just want something I can use to get the job done.

Welcome to The OT!!!!

Terrible first post though......Yikes!! "Cheap Scope"

As silver eluded too, a SS would be great. $300

Barska, Millet, Springfield Armory, A1 Optics just aren't worth the trouble, friend.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
dborn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 11:34
A1 Optic has some very good Quality scopes and patented internal sun shade features. A1 Optic is duable with a bright clear image.  I am very please and will never over spend on Leupold ATM or any of the other over priced scopes again. A1 Optic works just fine for me.
dborn
Macc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 15:32
Check out Swift scopes.
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 16:31
Nikon 6.5-20 X 44 Monarch off The Sample List. Good stuff.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 20:40

Originally posted by catusbill catusbill wrote:

Nikon 6.5-20 X 44 Monarch off The Sample List. Good stuff.

+1  Heck of a scope for the money!

hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2006 at 23:51

So exactly how much are you looking to spend? From the sounds of things you are wanting to keep it really cheap. But the thing to remmember is that with a cheap scope also comes other problems like not holding zero etc. Now i'm not saying that you nead a several hundred dollar scope on each of your rifles but i would save a little longer and buy better glass.I.M.O

Firepower usually means an increased number of misses
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2006 at 20:32

Silver and Cheaptrick are on the right path with a Super Sniper (As for dborn interesting first post thanks for your vast knowledge).  The Super Sniper 10x is an excellent choice for a 300 Win Mag. I have an SS 10X on a 300 WSM and a Leupold VXIII 3-9x40 on my 300 Win Mag. and a 20x SS on a .308 and some expensive scopes we wont go in to on other guns. The 10x Super Sniper is an excellent choice and will hold up nicely to the recoil of the 300 Win Mag. As for "Barska, NCStar, and A1 optics"  dont you think you would rather have something that will last longer than your first trip to the range.  When you think about it dont the Marines shoot 1000 meters with open sights - the 10x is plenty of scope.

A 10x scope at 1000 meters is like open sights at 100 meters.

Semper Fi     !!! 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic