OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with a Razor HD LH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a Razor HD LH
    Posted: October/10/2016 at 18:02
I know very little about scopes and have 50 year old eyes.  The only scopes I have for comparison are a Viper 3-9 and a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5.  So don't take this as complaining about the Razor, because I really don't have the credentials to give a decent review.

All that said, I got a screaming deal on an HD LH 2-10.  It didn't have the G4 reticle, which is what I wanted, but the G4 was a normal street price and this HSR-4 was $505, so I bit.  With it being my first "really good" glass I was expecting to be blown away, and I wasn't.  I can tell a difference; mainly more contrast and deeper colors, and the eyebox is a little better, but it wasn't a "holy crap" moment that I was expecting.

So how do you compare two scopes?  I don't have any resolution charts or real experience.  I feel like I won't be able to beat it for $500, but I was expecting it to make the Viper look like a Barska, and frankly the Viper still looks pretty good.  What are the tricks of the trade that will show me the differences, or am I already getting into diminishing returns territory for spending more than the $300 Viper?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2016 at 09:29
Try this. Set both scopes on the same power setting, then go out in the evening a little past sun set and look through the scopes and see what you can see at different distances with both scopes. Wait a bit and try it again. You might notice a difference.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2016 at 09:44
Search the internet for USAF 51,that's the chart I've been using since my start with rifle scopes.

As long as you have adjusted all parameters correctly on the new scope there should be a difference, do the testing at various times at morning, noon and evening, I find it easier to compare scopes when I have them on a stand side by side, looking through them without straining my eyes.

Gerry Atric
Flats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2016 at 21:00
I found a couple of different charts; is there a tutorial for dummies somewhere the describes the range to view them at, size of the charts, etc?  I've got to return the scope anyway as a piece of foreign debris showed up inside from simply handling it, but; the more I've read I don't think I'm going to beat it for $500, so I'm leaning towards an exchange vs a refund.  I'd still like to become a little more knowledgable and do a decent comparison between it and the Viper to see what I've got.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2016 at 21:31
If u really want wowed you probably better be looking at a Swaro, Leica, Meopta R1 or R2, high end Zeiss. Leupold vx-6 is also very nice.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Brocksw View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brocksw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 14:06
Interesting first impression though, I've been curious as to what kind of optical quality those Razor LH's would have.  Usually your eyes won't lie, if it doesn't wow you right off the bat, it isn't going to. 
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 22:30

Just goes to show how subjective optics reviews are. I own Zeiss Diavari, Leupolds, And kahles scopes. I have looked at nearly all major brands except Leica. I was blown away by the Razor HD LH 2-10X42. Not necessarily because the glass was clearer than my other scopes, making them look cloudy by comparison though. The characteristics I liked was the great FOV, the G4 reticle, and how the image is sharp and clear all the way to the edge of the tube with no black ring border inside. The eyebox (ability to have a perfect view even when slightly off center) was great.

I thought it was a very easy scope to get behind with bright clear glass and a great reticle. The weight and size are also attractive. I'll own the 1.5-8X32 version shortly. I would pick the 2-10 if  I were not looking to save weight on a Kimber Montana.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I'm not as sold on the quality of the Vortex Razor as on my Kahles scopes. I just have no experience with Vortex to give me that confidence. This will be my first Vortex of any kind. 

I think the qualities that make scopes really good go beyond just how clear the glass is. To the OP,I think given time you will come to appreciate subtle differences that set an $800 scope apart from a $300 scope. People tend to exaggerate when they have just paid big money for a high end scope as to how much better the view is compared to their old scope and it gives unrealistic expectations to those less prone to exaggeration. That is not to say alpha glass isn't worth it but it has to be worth it to you in those more subtle differences rather than just how clear they both look at noon on a clear day. 

Edited by R H Clark - October/25/2016 at 22:37
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 02:34
I am glad you like the G4 reticle.  It took me a couple of years of nagging to get someone to put it into a scope.

ILya
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 10:05

Yes sir, I like the reticle very much, so much I had considered selling one of my Kahles just to get the Razor quicker. I have now decided that I suffer too much separation anxiety whenever I sell a scope,so I'll just save my pennies a while longer for the Vortex.

Just to be clear on my previous post, I did not mean to suggest that there is no difference in glass between an $800 scope and a $300 scope, just that those differences may not be glaringly apparent by a quick look around in perfect light. 

Liberty1791 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberty1791 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 20:39
Hey Flats, sounds like that scope is junk and you should just move on and get something decent.

I'll give you the $500 you paid for it and help you out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic