OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Seeking help selecting a binocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking help selecting a binocular
    Posted: October/07/2016 at 18:01
I'm looking for a quality sporting event binocular. Some events will be outdoors, while others will be indoors. I've read the Bushnell Legend HD 8x42 are great, but are they compact? They seem to be mid-sized. I would prefer compact, but if the quality on a mid-sized is significantly better I would consider one. I'm thinking 8x42 is the way to go, but I'm not sure.
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2016 at 21:14
You should probably be looking at an 8x32. Any of the name brands have some decent ones.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2016 at 22:01
Main thing for a compact is to look at a roof prism. They' are smaller than a porro prism. I go to a lot of stadium events and carry 8x30's. What is your budget?
Doug
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2016 at 22:09

The 42mm Legend is not a "compact" binocular.  Most would not consider any 42mm bino to be compact, although Opticron makes a really short one.  I don't remember the model name, but they have a website.

A 32mm will be smaller, a few could reasonably be described as "compact".  The Nikon Monarch 7 for example has a very small footprint, and weighs less than 16oz..  As also gives you a very wide and bright view, it would be the one I would pick in a small and lightweight 8x for sports use. 

If you will be in a stadium or indoor arena, you can also consider a 6x or 6.5x bino.  The advantage of this magnification is that you will have a bright view in a 32mm bino, along with a greater depth of view that will need less focus change as things move towards or away from you.  An excellent choice is the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32, which is one of the binos we use at football games.  These are no longer made, but they can still be found on auction sites.  These have an excellent build and optical quality.  A cheaper option that is easy to find is the Vortex Raptor 6.5x32, which is a very capable porro that also weighs less than 20 ounces.  A third option is the Leupold Yosemite 6x32, which is very similar to the Raptor.  This is the other bino we take to football games.

Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2016 at 04:02

Welcome to the forumHowdy

This might help you finding what you need.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/compact-binoculars/

For hunting / outdoors purposes i use my Zeiss Conquest 8-40. A great bino for that, i am very pleased with it as it extends the bright hours a bit. 

It might be a good shot at what you need.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
revo74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2016 at 16:44
I'll spend a couple of hundred if it's going to make a nice difference.
revo74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2016 at 19:22
"A third option is the Leupold Yosemite 6x32, which is very similar to the Raptor. "
For $100 they seem to be a very good option. Read nothing but good reviews for them.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2016 at 21:53
The Yosemite is not going to be beat for the price.  It should be more than capable of doing what you need done.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2016 at 21:55
I have the 6x Yosemites and they worked great at my son's high school games.
revo74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 17:26
I don't see any 6x32, instead I see 6x30. Is this correct? The Leupold BX-1 Yosemite Porro Prism Binoclulars?

Binoculars

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 18:40
I have had a pair of 10x42 Minox since 2007. Optically superb, especially for the $350 I paid and they do compete with 4x price points as I had fun with them over the years comparing to other buddies glass. Marked BL 10x42 BR.  Lightweight enough for field carry.
I smile every time I use them. I'm not certain on the current equivalent as this set was discontinued and Minox's model line is confusing. Maybe someone can chime in on the current Minox status.
Lunchbox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lunchbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2016 at 21:12
I'm fan of vortex, especially with their warranty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic