OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Eliminator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Eliminator
    Posted: October/05/2016 at 15:54
I am looking at getting the Burris Eliminator for me 30-06.  Does anyone have the scope and not like it?  I was looking at getting it from competitor
It looks like a nice scope but I don't know if it is worth the money.

Read and adhere to the rules you are required to acknowledge prior to becoming a member of Optics Talk.

Edited by Kickboxer - October/05/2016 at 16:36
Country girl stuck in the city
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2016 at 16:10

READ FORUM RULES

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2016 at 16:39
Originally posted by clane clane wrote:

I am looking at getting the Burris Eliminator for me 30-06.  Does anyone have the scope and not like it?  I was looking at getting it from competitor
It looks like a nice scope but I don't know if it is worth the money.

Read and adhere to the rules you are required to acknowledge prior to becoming a member of Optics Talk.
 I have an Eliminator III, purchased from SWFA.  I like the features, but for the price expected better glass. Glass is "passable", everything else is pretty darned good.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2016 at 22:26
I finally had an opportunity to get some shooting out to 500 yards with the Eliminator III.  It is mounted on a Remington 700(5r) Etronx in .220 Swift… very flat shooting… 50gr Vmax at 3780fps.  Zeroed today at 100, the BDC works exactly as advertised.  It was dead on at 300 and about 0.5 inch high at 500… That is "livable".  That could easily have been me.  Two shots at 500 were touching left to right, 0.5 inch high.  I was satisifed.

Once again… I'm not crazy about the glass… it is just "decent".  Not happy with that for the price.  However, the advantages of the compensation outweigh the disadvantages of the "average" glass.  Overall, I'm glad I got the scope.  Shooting rapidly to 500 yards, no calculations except those performed by the scope, is a "game changer".  Fast, accurate (major drawback may be that it is better than most shooters), fairly easy to set up and zero.  I won't say anyone can do it, but anyone with common sense who can read and follow directions can do it.  
They could have put better glass in it for the same price...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2016 at 23:40
For what you get it is a good all-in-one purchase.
I have run mine out to 1K
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 06:55
A friend has one and we have had a hell of a time getting it to work right. It drains batteries even when off, it threw an error code Burris Tech Support said they had not seen, and has been all-around unreliable.

I like the concept, I hate my friend's actual scope.

Not sure what series, will find out and post.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 07:20
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Ernie, maybe my "final intent" did not come across so well, but my thoughts are that you are absolutely correct.  Though I am going to continue to berate Burris for the glass quality... as I said the other advantages outweigh the glass "gig".  This scope will allow someone with good shooting skills to reach much longer ranges, at need.  
I am still, and always will be, of the opinion that a "hunter" uses hunting acumen to get as close to the game as possible in order to ensure a clean, humane, rapid kill.  This scope allows someone with good shooting skills to confidently reach out to ranges not normally considered wise… calculations performed internally.
Ernie's experience with the Eliminator is at longer ranges than mine, but I've gotten a good feel for how it performs and I'm happy with what I've experienced.  Even though I want better glass, I'm keeping it.  It is now a "part of" the most accurate rifle ever made.  The combination is awesome.  I wish my Hensoldt had the electronics of the Eliminator… the Eliminator had the optical quality of the Hensoldt.  
The Etronix/Eliminator combo is now my "varmint rig".  And 220 Swift is a great round for hogs… personal experience.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 07:26
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

A friend has one and we have had a hell of a time getting it to work right. It drains batteries even when off, it threw an error code Burris Tech Support said they had not seen, and has been all-around unreliable.

I like the concept, I hate my friend's actual scope.

Not sure what series, will find out and post.

I have started removing battery when not in use.  I've only spent a few hours in the field with it, but not had any problems… it probably needs a power pack.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 09:43
It is a 3, and while turned off, the battery lasts about 12 hours.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Ernie, maybe my "final intent" did not come across so well, but my thoughts are that you are absolutely correct.  Though I am going to continue to berate Burris for the glass quality... as I said the other advantages outweigh the glass "gig".  This scope will allow someone with good shooting skills to reach much longer ranges, at need.  
I am still, and always will be, of the opinion that a "hunter" uses hunting acumen to get as close to the game as possible in order to ensure a clean, humane, rapid kill.  This scope allows someone with good shooting skills to confidently reach out to ranges not normally considered wise… calculations performed internally.
Ernie's experience with the Eliminator is at longer ranges than mine, but I've gotten a good feel for how it performs and I'm happy with what I've experienced.  Even though I want better glass, I'm keeping it.  It is now a "part of" the most accurate rifle ever made.  The combination is awesome.  I wish my Hensoldt had the electronics of the Eliminator… the Eliminator had the optical quality of the Hensoldt.  
The Etronix/Eliminator combo is now my "varmint rig".  And 220 Swift is a great round for hogs… personal experience.  

I agree, that the glass isn't great, but it is sufficient for the task at hand.
Maybe, I would use the word content.
I guess I am kind of an optics snob.
For folks who are what I would describe as general hunters and shooters, the glass isn't a problem for them.
My batteries have lasted for over a year-FWIW.
I think they might be available to all now or very soon, but there is an upgrade to the E-3 in two areas.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope-series/eliminator-iii-laserscope-4-16x50mm
It has new software to handle BP, rimfire, and subsonic, plus the the pressure switch-WAY COOL BURRIS!

Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 17:01

I agree, that the glass isn't great, but it is sufficient for the task at hand.
Maybe, I would use the word content.
I guess I am kind of an optics snob.
For folks who are what I would describe as general hunters and shooters, the glass isn't a problem for them.
My batteries have lasted for over a year-FWIW.
I think they might be available to all now or very soon, but there is an upgrade to the E-3 in two areas.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope-series/eliminator-iii-laserscope-4-16x50mm
It has new software to handle BP, rimfire, and subsonic, plus the the pressure switch-WAY COOL BURRIS!

I said it wss sufficient,  not as good as it should be for the money.  The technology is not "state of the art"…it's just as good as there is available to the public at a cost less than a new car.  Worth the money, even with the glass?  In my opinion, YES.  I'm not unhappy with it, just not as happy as I should be… but I expect a lot for my money.  I love my Hensoldt, but it has faults, my opinion, that should not have been present… 

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 17:05
Wasn't trying to disagree or argue.
Just trying to clarify my thoughts, and the thoughts of the guys I run across who have used mine or have bought one themselves.

Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 19:13

Just trying to clarify my thoughts, and the thoughts of the guys I run across who have used mine or have bought one themselves.

I think we are in violent agreement… all I was doing was clarifying my position.  I, too, have had simiar statements from people I've had look at the Eliminator.  Like it, don't love it for the price.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2016 at 20:52

I think we are in violent agreement… all I was doing was clarifying my position.  I, too, have had similar statements from people I've had look at the Eliminator.  Like it, don't love it for the price.

"Violent agreement"....I like that phraseExcellent
Do you mind if I use itYippee
Ernie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 08:29
A second battery dead in about 12 hours. That is 12 hours not in use. Maybe this scope is a lemon. I hope!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 08:33

I think we are in violent agreement… all I was doing was clarifying my position.  I, too, have had similar statements from people I've had look at the Eliminator.  Like it, don't love it for the price.

"Violent agreement"....I like that phraseExcellent
Do you mind if I use itYippee
Of course you can...

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 09:33
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

A second battery dead in about 12 hours. That is 12 hours not in use. Maybe this scope is a lemon. I hope!

Send it back..There is a problem.
I have used more than 6 of them...never had that problem.
Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2016 at 09:44
I've never had a problem like that.  I remove the battery from mine just because I never know how long it will be before I use it again… an old habit.  

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2016 at 08:55
Hope your experience with Burris CS beats mine... 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2016 at 10:38

I've never had a problem like that.  I remove the battery from mine just because I never know how long it will be before I use it again… an old habit.  

I do too; but if it is to be used next day and the battery is already dead, that is an issue. And that is this issue.

Will let you know how the CS experience goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic