OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron Identification
    Posted: August/21/2006 at 17:33

I have a Sightron 3x9 MilDot.  I no longer have documentation.  How do I know if I have an SI or SII?

Yes, I am waiting for a response from their customer service.  But they are pretty slow.

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2006 at 17:48

Hello Army_Eod

It is a SI, you will notice the glass difference right away when you recieve your SII.

Trinidad

krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 16:52

Army_Eod

They usually have the SI, SII and such stamped at the end of the bell housing on the front of the scope.  It's not colored in or anything and sometimes only visible in the right light. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 18:07
Is the size of the objective lens stamped an ywhere? S1 is 40mm and S2 is 42mm.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 18:25

To my knowledge Sightron never made a 3-9 SII Mil-Dot unless it is custom

or a special run.

army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

To my knowledge Sightron never made a 3-9 SII Mil-Dot unless it is custom

or a special run.

I believe you are correct now that I look at their website.  So that would make mine an SI.

Thx

Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 01:43
Sightron used to make a S2 3-9x42 with MilDot.  I have one.  I also have an S1 3-9x40 with MilDot.  I am in Israel right now, but I can make a picture of the two side by side when I get home.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 10:42

Hello Koshkin

Great info I have never seen a SII 3-9 with a Mil-Dot, it sounds like

a great scope I wonder why they discountinued it.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 14:02
Sightron decided to keep their tactical line-up with a 4x erector, so they kept 3-12x42, 4-16x42 and 6-24x42 with the MilDot and discontinued the 3-9x42.

Also, they are trying to charge more for their new scopes, so I expect most of the older S2 line-up to be disconitnued to make way for more scopes similar to their S2 SS line-up (this is just my speculation, no hard data).

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 14:49

I do not think that the new price increase was wise for Sightron, I do not feel

that they are in that position yet especially with the stiff competition in thier

price range. The future looks a little shaky for Sightron in my opinion. It is

going to be interesting to see what happens with thier new products in the future.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 15:57

I finially got to a shop that has Sightrons....... Yankton, SD........ and I was really disappointed in the eye relief!  I was looking thru the SSII in the 2-7X32 and I think a 3-9, but I'm not sure.  I just picked up a FFII and it has an inch, maybe more of ER.  I have not shot the gun yet I mounted the FFII on and I'm hoping it works out well, because I really like it so far......... we see how it does in the field.

I just joined a gun club..... they just recently started open enrollment...... and hope to go tomorrow.  I will be breaking in the 22-250 with the FFII 3-9X40 I got for my son.  We are not bench shooters by any stretch.... he'll use this gun for coyotes, dogs and plinking....... which is a major reason for joining the club.

Will post a note about how it goes.

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 11:52

The break in process started off pretty well..... tried to do the "shoot once and then clean" method for the 1st 10 shots, but only made it to 6 or 7 before I shot 2 times. think I went back to 1 and clean before I did 2 again.  Not sure if my cleaning equipment is right........... sure was taking along time to clean between shots!

Anyway....... back to scope......... again this is a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 with free Binocs.  When I'm looking/focusing on just the center of the target, it is fine.  But anything around the edges are distorted      I think there is something wrong with the Binocs as well     I was really concentrating on the target and the cleaning, and I didn't have all day, so I will do this again and have a better idea if the scope is bad or maybe it was me. 

I really don't think I would have even noticed this if I had never been on this site!  I've learned a boat load from reading the posts!  I put this on my kids gun.....oh btw....I got him a Savage 11FL with the Accu-Trigger and it is awesome!!!!!  When my brain said to pull trigger.... gun went off....... no time to flinch or move.  Very impressed!  Will have to have trigger job on my Rem. 700 BDL and Browning BARs.    As I said, put this on my kids gun and he is going to have a cow if I try to take the scope off and send it to Burris.  He doesn't give a &^%$ about the edges.... he just wants to shoot the darn thing.  He didn't think too much of the shoot and clean either!  Damn kids have no patience these days.

take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic