OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to change parallax correctly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change parallax correctly
    Posted: September/30/2016 at 11:18
I have a Vortex XBR scope on my crossbow - same scope as their 2.5-10x44mm Viper PST but with a different reticle and 1 MOA per clicks turrets. I saw an post where a guy took a strap wrench to one and rotated the front 1/3 to change the parallax from 75 yards to 30 yards. So I decided to try it but I wanted a 40 yard parallax so I only rotated it a bit past 1/4 turn.

Then I realized the front collar did not separate from the objective ring but instead they both moved together from the front bell. I was able to have a 40 yard parallax but the front two rings were not exactly "tight". They were very snug but I could turn them by hand.

So I got paranoid and tightened them back up as original. But I got to thinking if the front collar had separated from the lens ring, and then I rotated the lens ring and tightened the front collar back up, it would be the same as what I did.

The only thing I can think of would have been to loosen the front collar, and there was a different internal way to move the lens within the ring without moving the ring. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2016 at 02:05
I have changed a few pre-set parallax distances over the years, my scopes have always had a construction similar to what´s presented here:

http://www.airguns.bg/files/akraba/Paralax/Adjusting%20parallax%20on%20a%20non%20adjustabale%20objective.pdf

There has been a "locking ring" of some sort and a "lens ring" which could be adjusted with a MacGyver tool of various construction.

It looks like you have moved both the locking ring and the lens ring at the same time. Intentional construction or a "users mistake". I would contact Vortex for advice despite the fact that the warranty probably is lost.

Gerry Atric  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic