OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 1-6 Vs SIG TANGO6 1-6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SgtRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 1-6 Vs SIG TANGO6 1-6
    Posted: September/20/2016 at 12:38
Does anyone have any time behind the SIG Tango6 1-6x scope?

How does it compare to the Super Sniper 1-6?

I see the Tango6 is slightly larger and slightly heavier. The SIG has exposed target/tactical style turrets unlike the SS capped turrets. The SIG is offered in both FFP and SFP as well as MOA and MIL.

I have found the SS and the SIG at comparable pricing at this time.

My application would be on a DMR/SPRish AR-15. (or maybe my 16" .308 AR)

Thanks.

SgtRed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SgtRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 13:25
OK then. Obviously not.

Does anyone have any time behind the Burris XTR II 1-8?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 13:30
I have the 1-4X SS and a 1-6X Vortex HD, both are great at something.

For 1 223 middy, 1-4X works well for me so long as the 1X is a true 1X.  For something with a bit more ass, I like the 1-6X range more.

My 18" AR15 wears a 3-9SS with a red dot offset, it is good to go from point blank to about 400 yards or so - which is about the limit of what I would want to do with a 223.

My 308 AR wears a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce, it is not a point-blank gun, all I need of it is consistent 500-yard shots, and it does that well.

What exactly will you need this scope to do? (I know you said DMR but that means different things to different people.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
goosedowner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 13:30
I have the Burris XTR II 1-8. It's a little on the heavy side but the glass is great. I bought the SFP model and I really like the scope.
SgtRed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SgtRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 15:54
I want a scope that does everything. For cheap. But I will settle for:

1. As close to Aimpoint fast at close range as possible
2. Excellent Glass 
3. The ability to reach out to 600 Yards-ish on a regular basis.
4. $1000-ish

I do not find my 1-4 up to the task number 3 above. (but that could be a reticle thing.)

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 17:53
I would reccomend the XTRII 1-8 FFP scope.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 18:27
Does $1k include mount?

I run the vortex 1-6, it is an awesome scope, almost as fast as a red dot.
It is heavy, it is above your budget by a bit, but it won't disappoint.

I have never used the Burris or the SS 1-6x.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - November/14/2016 at 18:33
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosedowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2016 at 20:12
I almost forgot, if you look you can find the Burris for less than $900. I paid $860
SgtRed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SgtRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 08:20
The money/value is my sticking point.  
I can get the Tango6 for less than $700 and the SS 1-6 I regularly see for just a little bit more. My price on the Vortex is almost twice the Tango6...

The Burris at less than $900 looks like a winner.

I know the correct answer is to get all of them and sell the ones I don't like...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 12:53
All three scopes mentioned here are good designs and you sorta have to look at the features.

I assume you want FFP, since you are looking at the SS and it is FFP only.  If you prefer SFP for a scope of this type, get the Sig and be done with it.

Then you need to look at the reticles.  There is nothing wrong with preferring a BDC reticle, but on a scope of this type I generally prefer mrad based reticles.  That makes it easier for me to adapt to different loads, bullet weights, etc.

Then there is an issue of reticle visibility at 1x.  That is usually an important factor for FFP scopes.  The reticle has to either have some features that make it visible at 1x (like the circle on the SS reticle) or have very bright illumination or both (in case the battery dies).

Without illumination, SS has the more visible reticle here.  With illumination, Sig is pretty good, since their illumination is a bit brighter.  Not sure about the brightness of the XTR II illumination, but non-illuminated visbility it is somewhere between the SS and Sig.

Lastly, there is the issue of turrets.  On scopes of this type, I strongly prefer either locking or covered low profile turrets.  Sig has a locking turret and zero stop. SS has a turret cover. Burris turret does not lock in place, but has a zero stop and is the lowest profile design of the three.

Aside from that, SS has narrower FOV than the other three here.  The rest of the performance specs should be pretty close.  I have the most mileage with the SS, so I am confident of its durability.  The other two have been out a shorter period of time, but look like well built scopes.

If I were spending my own money right now, I would probably lean toward the SS since for my purposes, it is the better reticle.  However, that is a personal choice.

Also, there is another 1-8x24 FFP scope that will be out around SHOT in the same price range.  I helped design the reticle for it, so we'll see how it comes out.

ILya
SgtRed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SgtRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 14:04
"Also, there is another 1-8x24 FFP scope that will be out around SHOT in the same price range.  I helped design the reticle for it, so we'll see how it comes out."

Great! More choices. Thanks Wink

Will you be on hand at that booth that SHOT. If so I will be sure to stop and say hello there.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 14:41
Welcome to the forum Sgt Red.  Several of us in the metroplex.  Hopefully you've had a chance to visit SWFA down in Mansfield.  
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 17:30
Originally posted by SgtRed SgtRed wrote:

"Also, there is another 1-8x24 FFP scope that will be out around SHOT in the same price range.  I helped design the reticle for it, so we'll see how it comes out."

Great! More choices. Thanks Wink

Will you be on hand at that booth that SHOT. If so I will be sure to stop and say hello there.

I will be at SHOT roaming around.  I do not work for that company.  I simply wanted a reticle a little different from everything else out there and since I heard they were doing a 1-8x FFP, I asked them if they need help.  I am sorta picky about reticles, so I go and badger different scope companies to see if they are willing to listen.  I harassed Vortex enough for them to make a hunting reticle I like.  This other company will now have a more of a tactical oriented reticle that I like.  Or at least I think I like.  Sometimes things look good on paper, but once you see them in real life, it looks different.  Until I see the prototypes, I will not disclose which scope it is.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic