OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Terminology ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy9Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Terminology ?
    Posted: August/20/2006 at 16:13

Hello,

Can someone tell me what is meant by "fixed breech firearm"? I'm in the process of ordering some Hornady .280 Remington ammo in the 139 gr SST Light Mag. Hornady's website says that ammo is to be used in a fixed breech firearm only. 

Thanks,

Randy

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2006 at 20:40
Are you certain they didn't say NOT to use it in a fixed breach firearm?

A non-fixed breach firearm is a bolt action or other type rifle that loads from the chamber by moving the breach plug, ie; the bolt.
A fixed breach firearm would be something like an NEF HandiRifle or Thompson Contender or Encore where the barrel moves away from the breach to allow loading and ejection.  This type action is traditionally not as strong as a rotating bolt locking type action.
Randy9Ball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy9Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2006 at 22:38

The information below is off Cabela's website where they sell the Hornady ammo. It states below "fixed breech firearm" and uses a bolt action as an example which is what I shoot. I think I'll call Hornady just to make sure.

Hornady Light Magnum™ Rifle Ammunition

Item:IG-212369
$24.99 - $47.99

Please use the chart below to find your product and add it to cart

Item notes
This ammunition is not recommended for use with Semi-Auto or Gas operated firearms. It is intended to be used only in a fixed breech style (example Bolt Action) firearm.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 07:32

That they really mean is that the ammo is not friendly to semi-autos.  They mean a locked breach, but it seems to have been writen by a lawyer.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 07:52
They're using the incorrect term to append their statement.
If they'd left it at semi and gas operated it would have worked.  A bolt action isn't a fixed breech firearm.  A muzzle loader is.

Would have thought Hornady had a proof reader.........go figure.
Randy9Ball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy9Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2006 at 16:13

I just got off the phone with a tech at Hornady. He confirmed that the warning applies only to semi-autos and gas operated rifles.  He stated that the industry recognizes a bolt-action rifle as a fixed breech rifle.  So, now I can go sight the new rifle in.

Thanks to all for your replies on this!

Randy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic