OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 BCG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 BCG
    Posted: September/14/2016 at 16:40
What do you guys like for them? I need one for my SBR build, assuming the ATF ever sends me my stamp. 

I have a PSA upper, 11.5 inch. I kind of like the AIM one. I don't want to dump a ton of money in one. I have a PSA BCG in my freedom upper gun. Its not the high pressure tested one. Nor is it chrome lined. 

So... don't think I need that one again. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 18:58
Will you be running suppressed?

What do you need from a BCG? If you don't like to clean carbon buildup and/or shoot often, chrome or titanium are best for self-lubricity and less carbon buildup. Phosphate is fine, but carbon on the bolt gets bad.

If you are running suppressed, I always run chrome or titanium nitride, they get so dirty so fast, it's the only real option.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 19:54
Maybe suppressed. Mickle boron ? I haven't seen a chrome bolt. U mean chrome lined?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 22:28
Chrome lined. Or Nickel Boron coated, often abbreviated to NiB.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 08:04
They uave full chromed bcgs. Young mfg makes nice stuff. http://youngmanufacturing.net/ym-national-match-bolt-carrier-complete-chrome-only.html
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 17:04
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 17:34
If you apply frog lube to a NIB and bake it in the oven, they are so much easier to clean.  Most of the gunk wipes off easily.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 19:21
I agree on the frog lube, still don't love a frog lubed phosphate bolt.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 10:19
Agreed, chromed or NiB or some other coating are much nicer when it comes time to clean.  

There are a couple other types of coatings that work really well to help the gunk not stick as much.  Voodoo has "Lifecoat".  Another is Fail Zero, it supposedly works well.  Then salt nitride meloniting.  Adams arms uses this on all the piston parts and bolts and it works well.  I have a couple adams arms guns and the piston gunk come off pretty easy.  Lots of options other than standard phosphate that makes them easier to clean. 

The biggest key is to clean them often.  Then the crap don't get baked on.  I bought a ultrasonic cleaner and it works great.  It does a good job on BCGs. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 10:44
Any nitrided, either salt-bath type (Melonite, QPQ, Tufftride, Tenifer) or PVD titanium, titanium carbon and titanium-aluminum type (TiN, TiAlN, TiCN), electroless nickel-Teflon, NiB, or hard chromed finish works well since they all have slick surfaces. The nitride finishes are the hardest & most wear- and corrosion-resistant. Hard chrome is hard and slick as well, but it can flake and is less corrosion resistant than the nitride finishes, being somewhat porous (at the microscopic level). Electroless nickel, nickel-Teflon, and NiB are a bit softer than hard chrome, but are slicker and actually more durable and more corrosion resistant due to being less brittle and non-porous. IMO, the nitrided finishes are the very best, all things considered, with electroless nickel/NiB a close second.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 16:31
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Any nitrided, either salt-bath type (Melonite, QPQ, Tufftride, Tenifer) or PVD titanium, titanium carbon and titanium-aluminum type (TiN, TiAlN, TiCN), electroless nickel-Teflon, NiB, or hard chromed finish works well since they all have slick surfaces. The nitride finishes are the hardest & most wear- and corrosion-resistant. Hard chrome is hard and slick as well, but it can flake and is less corrosion resistant than the nitride finishes, being somewhat porous (at the microscopic level). Electroless nickel, nickel-Teflon, and NiB are a bit softer than hard chrome, but are slicker and actually more durable and more corrosion resistant due to being less brittle and non-porous. IMO, the nitrided finishes are the very best, all things considered, with electroless nickel/NiB a close second.

Yeah well.....everybody knows that, so....Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2016 at 06:39
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Agreed, chromed or NiB or some other coating are much nicer when it comes time to clean.  

There are a couple other types of coatings that work really well to help the gunk not stick as much.  Voodoo has "Lifecoat".  Another is Fail Zero, it supposedly works well.  Then salt nitride meloniting.  Adams arms uses this on all the piston parts and bolts and it works well.  I have a couple adams arms guns and the piston gunk come off pretty easy.  Lots of options other than standard phosphate that makes them easier to clean. 

The biggest key is to clean them often.  Then the crap don't get baked on.  I bought a ultrasonic cleaner and it works great.  It does a good job on BCGs. 

what do you use as a solution for your cleaner when you run the BCGs in your ultrasonic?
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2016 at 06:42
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Any nitrided, either salt-bath type (Melonite, QPQ, Tufftride, Tenifer) or PVD titanium, titanium carbon and titanium-aluminum type (TiN, TiAlN, TiCN), electroless nickel-Teflon, NiB, or hard chromed finish works well since they all have slick surfaces. The nitride finishes are the hardest & most wear- and corrosion-resistant. Hard chrome is hard and slick as well, but it can flake and is less corrosion resistant than the nitride finishes, being somewhat porous (at the microscopic level). Electroless nickel, nickel-Teflon, and NiB are a bit softer than hard chrome, but are slicker and actually more durable and more corrosion resistant due to being less brittle and non-porous. IMO, the nitrided finishes are the very best, all things considered, with electroless nickel/NiB a close second.</span>

Yeah well.....everybody knows that, so....Big Grin
LOL! It's always good to get the metallurgists opinion! Roll tide! 😂😂
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2016 at 07:03
BTW Ted! Gig'em Aggies!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2016 at 08:28
I have a couple of BCGs with nitride finish, a couple with NiB... difficult to tell the difference in performance, if there is any... but I've only put a few thousand rounds through those guns.  Probably take more time before I have a real opinion one way or the other.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2016 at 08:57
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

BTW Ted! Gig'em Aggies!

Just noticed your tidings (get it?) of good will, Steely. Thanks for sending some good juju our way, buddy; it helped!

I hope we are somehow able to stay unblemished when our teams meet up in Tuscaloosa, though I'm not optimistic about that one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2016 at 20:02

Auburn was making sure Texas A&M's confidence was built up and riding high when A&M meets 'Bama...

Yeah, that's it, that's what they were doing... helping the Aggies out... Yeah...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 12:12
I don't mind ANY team winning in Alabama...... Just not in Tuscaloosa!
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2016 at 16:51
So the AIM Nitride V2 for 109.95 ought to be good, right? 

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2016 at 03:01
Yes, PSA also has one on sale for the same price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic