OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Hot Shots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

We took a vacation - picture heavy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We took a vacation - picture heavy
    Posted: September/14/2016 at 11:28
My wife and daughter and I took a vacation.  Her family is from Missouri and we go there to visit every summer.  She comes from a small town named Corder.  The town has about 400 residents.  There's not much there besides corn or soybeans.  Time seems to slow down when we're there and it is magnificent.  Here's a video to help explain.  (I didn't make the video and have nothing to gain from it.) https://youtu.be/KUFJ6H-Gpd8  It is just funny and too close to the truth.Big Grin

Like I said, it's beautiful there.  This year it was a bean year so the breeze comes right through.  I sure wish I could set up a steel target on the other side of that field.  Sharp Shooter

It was our 10th anniversary so the wife and I went down to Branson for the weekend.  We did some of the touristy type things like go to the Dixie Stampede and Branson Landing on the lake.  The best place we went was just outside of Branson at The Lost Canyon at Top of the Rock.  Coming from SE Texas I'm not used to mountains.  Some may call them hills but they are mountains to me.  The nature trail there was awesome!  Waterfalls are everywhere. 

There is a large hotel and golf course and other general attractions there but we just went for the nature trail and cave.  I didn't include any pictures of the cave because they all came out bad.  I brought my tripod to Missouri specifically for taking long exposures in the cave and I left it 3 hours away at the in-laws.  All the flash picture looked flat and not up to par either. 
On top of the hill at the main building were some more great photo ops. 

I think this is my favorite sculpture of all time. 
End of the trail by James Earle Fraser

Since it was a milestone anniversary we took a detour through San Antonio before coming home. 
I haven't been to the Alamo since I was a little kid.  I'm sure I didn't appreciate it then just like my 12 year old didn't appreciate it now. 

Here is one of the cannons that defended the mission.  The plaque said it was deactivated by Santa Anna before he left the site.

The grounds of the Alamo were beautiful. 

Texas flag on The Emily Morgan Hotel across the street from the Alamo.

Of course we went to Sea World too.

They are absolutely huge animals.  I know there is controversy over Sea World and their treatment of killer whales and the trainer deaths in the past.  The closest any person got to them was on a ledge shin deep in the water to feed them.     Before the show, There was a video that explained Sea World's conservation of the ocean and that they are no longer breading whales.  I thought that was weird since Shamu was their bread and butter. 

I snapped these on the way out of the park

It was a great summer for my family.  
Stamp collecting since 2015
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 11:30
Great pics Phil.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 11:37
Thanks.  I just looked at them on my phone and the colors didn't look the same as on my laptop where I edited them.  It seems my laptop screen is brighter so the pictures may have turned out too dark.

edit: I just looked on another screen and they look fine.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 12:43
Looks great Phil
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 12:58
Very nice shots, Phil! Thanks for sharing!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 14:22
Excellent
Visit the Ed Show
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 15:49
Thunbs Up
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 16:06
Wow, awesome pics! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
erinis0112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 20:51
looks kike you and your family gad a great time, amazing pictures, thanks for sharing this. never know Missouri was this fun
There's a God somewhere.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2016 at 21:07
Thanks everyone for the compliments.  We have been driving to the relatives for about 9 years now.  I have always taken I35 through Oklahoma and Kansas.  I have never been to south central Missouri.  It kinda sounded funny.Bucky  I also didn't know the southern part of the state was more mountainous.  The northern part is just hilly with LOTS of farm land. 
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2016 at 12:01
Great pics. Thanks for sharing
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic