OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ng500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice
    Posted: August/20/2006 at 16:13

Preface:  After 24 years, I think my Bushnell Sportview 3-9 X40 is giving up the ghost.  I bought (my dad purchased for me) a Ruger M77 30-06 at age 12 with money saved from mowing grass over 2 summers.  I only had enough money left for a $30 Bushnell Sportview.  In my 24 years of hunting, I have never had to adjust my scope even after taking some good spills and dinging the scope on a rock one time.  I have killed many a deer with that set up with only one miss...and it was my fault.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Bushnell 4200 3-9X40 ($260) and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 ($400).  After my research the Bushnell Elite seems to be a great deal and I had great success for 24 years with a Bushnell, but I'm concerned about the short eye relief.  I like the Zeiss a lot, but is it worth the extra $150 (have I fallen prey to marketing hype)?  

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2006 at 17:06

Welcome to The OT!!

Cool story too.... 

The Zeiss Conquest is the best scope in it's class right now, in my opinion.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5214609920/zeiss_3-9x40_ conquest_rifle_scope.htm

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jlinnh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlinnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2006 at 20:44

From a practical point of view either of the scopes you mention are going to be so much higher in quality than your old Sportview that you are bound to be thrilled whatever choice you make. So my question to you is which scope would you feel better doing a triple flip with a half gainer off a mossy rock with? The Bushnell scope is made from a very strong titanium aluminum alloy so it may hold up to the impact better. If it doesn't hold up you have $150.00 still in the bank and that's over half the cost to replace the Bushnell with another one. I also wouldn't worry about the eye relief unless your old Sportview had more than 3.3 inches.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2006 at 23:50

Ng500

I own both scopes. Well actually I bought the 4200 Elite for my dad and bought the Conquest for myself.  I took both of them out over the course of several evenings and I came to the following conclusion.  The Zeiss is slightly better in low light performance. during normal daylight hours I really could not see a difference and neither could my dad.  It was a sunny afternoon and while he wears glasses I do not (so far perfect vision)

Now during a summer evening again both compared about the same. Once the sun went down and by down I mean well past sun set while looking out into a vineyard the Zeiss was a bit brighter and pulled in a bit more light. Now with that said both scopes would definitly pull in enough light to allow you to hunt well after legal or ethical shooting hours. The Zeiss cost a bit more but I belive that is what your paying for that extra slight edge.

So in my opinion is the Zeiss a $150 better scope? Well that depends on if you have the extra hundred fifty bucks. There is not that big of a difference in my opinion, I like the looks of the Zeiss scope since the Bushnell seems long to me, but I definitly would not feel out classed with a 4200 Elite it is a great scope. The eye relief should not be a problem since it is going on a 30.06 if you mentioned a gun known for stout recoil like a 338 mag and up it could be a problem, but then again I bet the sportview had about the same eye relief. Lastly, if you hunt in areas with lots of rain then I would definitly go with the Bushnell I have to admit I was a bit skeptical with regards to the Bushnell RainGurad but it really does work.

Welcome to the forums

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 14:14

now that's the kind of info I can sink my teeth into....... actual comparison under hunting conditions (which is what I do) 

THANKS AC

take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 14:46
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

now that's the kind of info I can sink my teeth into....... actual comparison under hunting conditions (which is what I do) 

THANKS AC

AC gave you solid advise there, as always.

He's good people....

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 16:38

Thanks Cheaptrick I appreciate the kind words.  That is why I so love this forum. There are actual shooters/hunters who use or have used a product and give their opinion.  While opinions are like  =)  as the saying goes, BUT I am much more apt to listen to my fellow forumites and draw a conclusion based on a broad range of comentary then listen to some marketing hype on the latest greatest in a magazine.  Which always cracks me up, actually has anyone ever read a poor review of a major product in any magazine?  I can't think of any.

I was advised on both the Conquest and the 4200 Elite from people on this forum and I couldn't be happier with both.  I have friends and family that still believe that because a scope is baged Bushnell or Weaver (just two examples) then it must be cheap trash.  WRONG, their loss in my opinion if they would have taken the time to ask around and do some research they will find that there are some very nice scopes out there as alternatives to some of the old stand by brands.   Just venting, and once again thanks.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 19:13
Take the "Bushnell" name off and put the "B&L" name back on and those same folks who do the INTERNET reviews (without looking at them) would most likely see much different things, I'm quite sure. Like you said, their loss. I know this will come as a great shock to all, but they are one of my favorites.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2006 at 21:34
I recognise the Zeiss as great glass but for a hunting scope the rainguard feature is very attractive - dont think you can go wrong either way.  One feature that is available in scopes today that was not available even just a few years ago are reticles that help with known holdover points and as such the scopes that have those features tend to be my personal favorites, but you can work in a similar manner using a duplex type reticle by sighting in at a known distance and using the point where the lower cross hair goes from thin to wide as a second known point then on the range determine what distance that point represents  (say - zero at 100 and the point at the top of the wide lower  might be 250 yds or 300 depending on trajectory of your ammo). Good Luck Hunting!

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Hogwild View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogwild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 13:14
ng500

The Zeiss Conquest has a "constant eye relief" throughout the variable power range. But as Acenturian said your not putting it on a magnum rifle. I had the 4200 and eye relief was a problem for me... on my .50 Cal Omega with 130 gr. Pyrodex. I sold the 4200 and got a Zeiss.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2006 at 18:41

Originally posted by Hogwild Hogwild wrote:

ng500

The Zeiss Conquest has a "constant eye relief" throughout the variable power range. But as Acenturian said your not putting it on a magnum rifle. I had the 4200 and eye relief was a problem for me... on my .50 Cal Omega with 130 gr. Pyrodex. I sold the 4200 and got a Zeiss.

Not the first time that eye relief issues have been mentioned about the 4200.

That said, Roy Finn and others run 4200's on big kickers and report they are good to go....(shrug)

Fixed eye relief is a nice feature.

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 01:12
If it were me, I would look real hard at the Bushnell Elite in 2.5-10 and the Zeiss Conquest in 3x9!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 08:43
Yes the Zeiss is worth the difference.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic