OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopro parallax question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naugarelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopro parallax question
    Posted: September/04/2016 at 22:49

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 and then I came to this forum by some kind of divine intervention. It looks like the Meoptic/Meopro name is more often recommended than Leupold. So I found a
Meopta Meopro Rifle Scope 4-12x 50mm scope and was pretty excited about my upcoming purchase and then noticed that A) this model has been discontinued, although I can still buy it. B) a comment in the comments section stated the following after giving it one star...
"I immediately noticed the price ($full) and the lack of a parralax adjustment. The only people that buy scopes without a parralax adjustment, just dont know any better. I equate this to buying a car without an engine. It looks the same but wont get you anywhere because youre lacking vital equipment. Some type of parralax is always a requirement. Get this education! So these good ratings??? Yeah, they paid this high price for recticle movement on target. Dont buy any scopes without a way to adjust parralax to the range youre shooting!"

I'll be hunting whitetail in TN from 0-300 yds. A) should i stay away from this scope due to either it being discontinued or the issue with the no parallax adjustment? If so, what is the next best option...Leupold or the newer Meopro 3.5-10x40? Thanks in advance.

BTW I'll be shooting a Tikka T3 lite .270.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 02:33
whoever posted that probably couldn't find their butt with a five man working party and 2 weeks to do it! 0-300 yards you will not really know the difference anyway. If you keep a good consistent cheek weld, you'll never know it. The parallax issue shouldn't be worried about in most hunting situations.

Edited by Steelbenz - September/05/2016 at 02:38
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 03:32
Steelbenz is absolutely correct.

In that general price range, there are quite a few excellent scopes.  The new Vortex Razor HD LH is probably my favourite if you are OK with a 42mm objective, but both Meopta Meopri and Leupold VX-6 are very good as well. There is the very promising looking Leica ER5 (I still need to test this one though).

Many good choices.

ILya
naugarelli View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naugarelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 19:14
Thanks for the feedback! I took your advice and got this guy .....Meopta Meopro Rifle Scope 4-12x 50mm..... on EBAY brand new for $399.00. Got a 14 day money back return policy in case it isn't as advertised. Looks like some of these are running a little cheaper due to the newer models having illuminated red dot?
naugarelli View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naugarelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 19:42
Took your advice as in .. ignored the guy I quoted in original post.
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2016 at 02:44

To be clear, all Meopta riflescopes are factory pre-set to be parallax free at 100 meters (109 yards).

You will tend to find parallax adjustment on Meopta scopes once they get past the 12x-15x magnification range, so that would include;

MeoStar R1 4-16x44 (AO)

ZD 4-16x44 (AO)

MeoPro 6-18x50 (Side)

ZD 6-24x56 (Side)

MeoPro 4.5-14x44 (Side, USA only)

MeoPro 6.5-20x50 (Side, USA only)

There is absolutely no need to have parallax adjustment on a hunting riflescope in a 3-9x42 or 4-12x50 type configuration...if the optics are manufactured and aligned correctly.

Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
Ghostman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2016 at 19:42
Totally agree with the above post. I own several Meopro 4-12x50  scopes which are mounted on Varmint/Predator caliber rifles. I've never had any parallax issues shooting long distances.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2016 at 05:27
Originally posted by MeoptaSurujh MeoptaSurujh wrote:

To be clear, all Meopta riflescopes are factory pre-set to be parallax free at 100 meters (109 yards).

You will tend to find parallax adjustment on Meopta scopes once they get past the 12x-15x magnification range, so that would include;

MeoStar R1 4-16x44 (AO)

ZD 4-16x44 (AO)

MeoPro 6-18x50 (Side)

ZD 6-24x56 (Side)

MeoPro 4.5-14x44 (Side, USA only)

MeoPro 6.5-20x50 (Side, USA only)

There is absolutely no need to have parallax adjustment on a hunting riflescope in a 3-9x42 or 4-12x50 type configuration...if the optics are manufactured and aligned correctly.

Design and execution... which Meopta excels at...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2016 at 10:52

I had a look at a  MeoStar R2 2.5-15x56 RD if I remember right and could not get a clear pic above 10x. this had no P/A got the delta optical HD same mag but with P/A  works a treat clear  throughout the mag range Big Smile 

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2016 at 17:01
Originally posted by verminator verminator wrote:

I had a look at a  MeoStar R2 2.5-15x56 RD if I remember right and could not get a clear pic above 10x. this had no P/A got the delta optical HD same mag but with P/A  works a treat clear  throughout the mag range Big Smile 

At what distance were you looking at with the R2?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic