OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lever action sights .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lever action sights .
    Posted: September/01/2016 at 20:29
My lever action 30/30 was my first rifle and still my favorite . It's simple and reliable and my buddies and I even dedicate a day at the range once a year dubbed LEVER DAY ! Only lever actions allowed and anything else would be considered a sin . I love lever day and its simplicity . However , I want sights for this rifle . So anyone use Lyman sights or peep sights ? If so and in keeping it simple what are your suggestions ?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 07:59

I've used several different types of sights no lever guns and always come back to the standard ones.  I'm not a fan of peep sights because they aren't as fast to get on target, at least for me.  I've used some marbles too.    The exception is the xs ghost ring sight I have once.  It was super fast!

http://swfa.com/XS-Sight-Ghost-Ring-Aperture-Sight-Set-P1522.aspx

If I used my 336 for hunting I'd install a set of these on it but its just a safe queen, I rarely use it for anything other than plinking -

http://swfa.com/Truglo-Lever-Action-Rifle-Sight-P76530.aspx

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Greenhorn#1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 08:51
Thanks for your response . Your insight is exactly what I wanted . Quick on target is important . Will use for pig hunts . So quick is good . Will check out your recommendation. Thank u once again .
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 08:54
There's not much faster than the xs ghost IMO. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 09:17
Cool . I will grab them at some point this weekend . Or in the next few days haha . Looking forward to this project and will share pic with y'all . Thanks again .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2016 at 09:19
Imagine it will tighten my groups up as well .
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2016 at 17:38
I had a Redfield receiver sight on a Savage Model 99 and I thought it was better than traditional open sights on the Marlins and Winchesters that I had over the years.  You don't have two planes to align when aiming. Simply look through the circle in the back ( and you are automatically doing that when the rifle hits your shoulder and your face hits the stock ) and put the front blade on the target....I liked it.  I could hit a coke can at 100 yards with the 300 Savage.  With the old style v-rear sights, or semi-buckhorns, with the bead front, the bead would cover up a target that small!  Those beads would 'cover up' a one gallon gas can at 100 yards! 

I had a Marlin 39A 22LR and I changed out the front bead with a much finer Marble's Sheard Bead because the factory bead must have been 12 MOA!  It was huge! The bead would cover up a rockchuck or woodchuck at 100 yards!  

When I was a kid I hunted with a Remington Model 514 with iron sights.  I realized that the sight was covering too much of a woodchuck at longer distances.  My dad adjusted the sights so that I could hold the bead under the target at 6 O'Clock and that was how I left it. If I wanted to really reach out there to 100 yards, I would simply put the bead ON the target. 

Visit the Ed Show
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2016 at 20:37
I've always used the sights that came with the Win 94 and Marlins I have had.  I had real difficulty getting used to XS Ghost ring on Marlin 45-70.   I suppose one could put express sights on one and file them to work at different distances but to me Lever guns are intended to be fast action guns. I did put an aimpoint  9000L scout type mounting with 30 mm low rings on the 45-70 and liked that.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 09:48
I had a Burris Fast Fire II on a Win 94. Worked pretty well. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 17:24
I love this forum . Wealth of wisdom . I wanted to increase distance between sights and increase accuracy but I may be asking to much of my rifle . Just felt like I was neglecting her lol .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 17:29
Checking out Redfield sights now . I don't want to miss a shot on a hog . We're planning a trip now and it would kill me to not bring home the bacon . I have a Marlin 336 in 30/30 .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 17:33
I also had a red dot on the 336 once and loved the ideal of keeping both eyes open . However , it wasn't as stream line and was a pain in my scabbard . I know they make glass aimed at these now but I wanted irons on this . It may be my only without glass . Gotta have one without .
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2016 at 18:48
http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

you are likely to find the pigs at last light, almost darkness. A ghost ring with large aperture and a fiber optic front sight work best. For some reason, i found the smallest green fiber optic  works best in low light on pigs. 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 04:24
Very good point sir .
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2016 at 04:36
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

you are likely to find the pigs at last light, almost darkness. A ghost ring with large aperture and a fiber optic front sight work best. For some reason, i found the smallest green fiber optic  works best in low light on pigs. 

Seems the skinner express is what I would need . They have 3 styles . Fiber optics almost seem inevitable or I will hear your advice while I'm hunting in low light . Will wrap up this week . Enjoy your holiday all 😬 Thank you sir .
Canuck Bob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2016 at 15:39
I've a few levers and am very happy with Williams Fool Proof and Lyman 66's receiver sights on my levers.  The go to hunting rifle was a 444 Marlin and now I'm focused on a Win 94.  I like the easy and fine adjustment capability of these sights.  Leave the aperture out for ghost ring performance or use a finer aperture for targeting.  IMO the peep sight is much quicker under stress.  Most militaries dropped the barrel sight as far back as WW2.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2016 at 15:45
I have the Williams and are quite happy with it, too. I leave the aperture in for precision but, like CB said, take it out and it is ghost ring. A dab of fluorescent paint on the front site helps in that regard also.
Doug
Canuck Bob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2016 at 14:23
I agree with T.  My way of handling front sight was to use easily available front bead sights in brass.  White sucks here for many months.  The rounded bead would be filed quick to a lean forward flat face.  The lean help collect late day light and the flat was because the darn rounded face seemed to draw my aim toward the bright side.  Being military trained the post has tempted me for conversion but in reality I don't shoot any better with either one.  Practice to see what your 6-8 inch group range is.  You'll be surprised after awhile.

I checked and SWFA stocks the XS brand.  Always good to check out the sponsors.  My buddy's like the XS a bunch.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenhorn#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2016 at 05:26
I get the lean would collect more light . Amazing , it's the little things . I would have never thought of that . Sorry for late response . Thank you I haven't bought anything yet . Got a ticket 😬 . So waiting to see if I win this dispute .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic