OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kenton custom knobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kenton custom knobs
    Posted: August/05/2016 at 14:34
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with plex on a 6.5x55. I like the scope and i like the rifle, i can hit a 6" target up to 300 yards away anytime,  but 400 yards is too much because the bullet drops 17"  or so by the time it gets there and i am not good at holding Kentucky elevation and vindage.  I don't have confidence that i could make a first shot hit that far. I am thinking of figuring out the bullet trajectory as best as possible and sending the scope to Kenton to have a BDC elevation turret marked for my hunting load. On this model of scope i need to take it off and send it to them for fitting, i can't order just the knob.

Has anyone ever used their services? Are they good and reliable? I don't have a 400 yard range nearby, i would need to rely on ballistic calculations for that bullet. Would that be a mistake? Do i have to shoot paper at Should i absolutely calibrate the load on paper to 400 or does my input into a ballistic calculator suffice? 

I think that Kenton may be considered a competitor to SWFA,, if so i apologize. 

Thank you for you comments. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 16:08
This comes up often, I'll give you my canned response:  customer turrets are right for exactly one set of circumstances - and no other.  If anything changes (altitude, barometric pressure, temperature, etc) the turret is now not perfect, and you are back to tracking variances from the turret.  So they are right in one instance, and wrong in every other.

Next, yes, absolutely yes, you need data verified on the range with your rifle, your ammo, and your environmental conditions under which the scope will be called upon to make that shot.

The alternative, which is what I strongly recommend, is that you get a good ballistic calculator for your phone, and have a reticle and/or turrets that allow for corrections.  With that, you can calculate the differences due to variation from the certain set of circumstances.

The idea of a custom knob, twist to range and shoot, is appealing; but the execution is never as great.  I ran some Kenton knobs on an SS scope several years ago, and quickly had to keep track of something more than what was on the turret.

I like Christmas tree reticles and I tend to dope the reticle now more than the turret.  With that setup, you don't need exposed turrets, wind or elevation.  

If all that is too much, the solution is to make shorter shots.

Whatever you do, you will need to put rounds down range at 400 yards to know for certain.  Without that, there is almost a 0% chance your custom turret will be right on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 18:00
I'm with RC on this, to many variables for the knobs to be right SOME of the time. Nothing trumps trigger time with a load to know its characteristics and understanding what your equipment is capable of on any given day breeds confidence to make a shot and a phone app will help get you in the ballpark. Just my two cents.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 20:27
Folks, thank you for your answers. I was afraid it would not be so easy, i understand rifles and ballistics that much. 

I think i will limit my shots at 300 yards, maybe a bit more. An antelope is about 15" from top of the back to bottom of brisket, with my load i can zero at 220 yards and i am still on the chest at 350 yards if i hold on the back line or just slightly over. 

I do have a nice Kestrel and i know how to use it, and i can read wind very well as i shoot a lot with cast bullets and tang sights and black powder. We shoot in pairs and alternating between shooter and spotter is very instructive.    

I think i will just learn my limitations and try to sneak withing 350 yards. I don't like this new fashion of "long range hunting" anyway.  For now, the Conquest stays put as it is. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 22:06
Imo if 400 yards is your goal a bdc turret would work ok. If u consistantly use the same load/bullet no atmospheric condition is going to change things enough to worry about it at 400 yards. Likely changes wont be over a couple or inches. Obvioulsy the farther out the bigger the chamges become, but 400 yards is an easy shot with a little practice so you know you load and gun
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic