OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax v.s. Vortex binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litehiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax v.s. Vortex binoculars
    Posted: August/03/2016 at 22:51
I got a pair of Pentax DCF WP binoculars in 2005, around the time they first came out. At the time they were absolutely the best for the money (about $450.). They gave those of us with limited budgets an excellent binocular for far less than $1,000.

The new Pentax DCF HD binoculars are around $1,000. and have better glass than mine, but not by a lot.

I'm wondering if Vortex Talon HD binoculars are about in the same quality range as my older Pentax binocs.

Eric B.

There are no comfortable packs - some are merely less uncomfortable than others.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2016 at 09:07
I have no idea about the comparison that you have proposed, but in the price range of the Talon and the older Pentax (and several others), there are other factors that determine my purchase as well.  Obviously I want to have good glass.  I waffled a lot between the Talon HD 8x42 and the Zen Ray ED2 7x36.  I ended up going with the Zen Rays, because of the glass, and the fact that I was using them for bowhunting.  Either one fit my design criteria of having an open hinge (easier one-handed operation with a bow in my left hand), but the ED2s were a little better all around - smaller, lighter, glass - in all categories.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2016 at 22:13
Originally posted by Litehiker Litehiker wrote:

I'm wondering if Vortex Talon HD binoculars are about in the same quality range as my older Pentax binocs.

The Talon is one of the more disappointing binos from Vortex.  Focus wheel is not very smooth like others in it's price range, central sharpness is not as good as others in it's price range, and it has an easily seen yellowish cast.  I would not recommend the Talon to anyone.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic