OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron, Vortex or Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmatderet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron, Vortex or Leupold
    Posted: July/30/2016 at 00:36
New here so please bear with me if I've bent any forum rules.
Thinking of a new scope for my DPMS LRT/SASS .308.  Considering the Sightron SIII 6-2x50mm LR P/MH, Vortex Viper PST 6-2x50mm EBR(MOA), and the Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x50mm. Have read lots of customer reviews on all the above, looking for any helpful feedback.  Thanks in advance, guys.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 13:19
What are you going to use it for and at what ranges?

Welcome to the OT!
hazmatderet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmatderet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 15:30
500-1000yd target, hunting whitetail.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmatderet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 15:33
Thanks or the welcome, nice to be here.  And I hunt deer over a field 550 yds across.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 15:46
If you run a ballistic  chart    http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
and select  MIL  as well as MOA you will have the ability to use the mil dots as know hold over marks for known distances at the highest power or the ability to dial in correction at any power.
Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIIISS624X50LRMD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • 0.25 MOA Target Knobs
  • Fast Focus Eyebell
  • One-Piece Main-Tube
  • ExacTrack
  • ZACT-7 Revcoat Multi-Coating
  • All Weather Construction
  • Lifetime Warranty
$849.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 15:59
With these scopes the nice thing is that the reticle and the turrets are in the same configuration.
The one that adjusts with 1/4 MOA  clicks has a reticle based on MOA
similarly the one with 1/10 MIL clicks has a MIL based reticle.
Also nice that these are illuminated.
 http://kentonindustries.com/  Kenton Industries will custom engrave a Long Range Hunting turret for either of these or for other scopes based on the balistic information provided based on what bullet you select.  This makes dialing in correction a very easy process at longer distances.
at any longer distances wind and many other factors play in and I tend to think a bolt action like a GA Precision rifle a better choice for longer distance shots.  http://www.gaprecision.net/
I tend to think of semi auto .308 as best used under 600 yds and ideal at 200 to 300 yds where they have lots of energy but with .308 bolt guns and 190 SMK or 200 gr Accubond hand loads the caliber can work well a very long way out.
Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST624F1A
  • Matte
  • Illuminated EBR-1 MOA (Red)
  • 30mm
  • 1/4 MOA Tactical Turrets
  • Side Focus
  • 1st Focal Plane
$949.95

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST624F1M
  • Matte
  • Illuminated EBR-1 MRAD (Red)
  • 30mm
  • .1 MRAD Tactical Turrets
  • Side Focus
  • 1st Focal Plane
$949.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmatderet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 07:43
Thanks for the info, frnd.  I've been researching these scopes for about the last month, so I have a fair understanding of what they're about.  I'm looking for opinions from folks who've owned and used these scopes.
BTW, apparently my keyboard as decided to screw wit me.  A few of the keys (f,h,4) are not behaving themselves.  The Sightron and Vortex are 6 - 24's, and the ones I'm interested are the first focal planes (FFP).
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 07:25

of what you listed the Vortex gets my nod.  good glass and totally serviceable for your application.  The one thing I would make sure of is to have a good battery in it when you go hunting.  the reticle is a little thin and in a hunting application without illumination there my be times that the reticle becomes hard to use. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 20:49
for deer hunting i would get a scope with a lower power like the 3x15 ss.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2016 at 11:26
I am a little late to this thread, but here are my two cents just in case.

In terms of optics and turrets, the Sightron S3 is the better scope out of these three.  However, without illumination, it also has the least visible reticle here, so it is not your best choice for hunting.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should offer my services to Sightron to design a reticle for them. That seems like it would be an interesting endeavor.  But I digress.

Generally, it is hard to find a scope that is well optimized for both long range and standard deer hunting simply because the reticle requirements are so different.  There are some that can do both in a pinch, but you really need to decide what is more important for you.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic