OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glock 43 Talo vs Smith Shield Performance Center
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glock 43 Talo vs Smith Shield Performance Center

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2016 at 10:39
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Now, I bought a 6 " 357Sig barrel for my long slide glock and in that role I like this cartridge far more.  It is also seriously faster out of a 6" barrel so for longer range plinking it is an excellent choice.

ILya

ILya, do you know the difference in velocities between the 31 and the long slide? And with what ammo?
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2016 at 23:51
Koshkin (Ilya) mentioned Glock grip reductions.  The latest modification to my Glock 23 (Gen 3) is a grip reduction by Cylinder & Slide.

It was expensive, with the recommended full stippling and scalloped mag release, but it was worth it. They didn't just crush down the hump in the back...they reduced the entire grip, and did a wonderful job.  Before, the Glock just felt like a hunk of plastic and metal.  Now it fits my hand perfectly, much like a Colt Commander.

Glock pistols do need improvements, despite the "Glock perfection" claim:
 .  Any self defense pistol is better with night sights (or a laser, if you prefer).  I added TruGlo tritiums.  
. The Glock trigger can't compare to the trigger on a good Model 1911 or a S&W revolver.  I replaced mine with a Zev Tech trigger.
. The grips are awkward, at least in my medium-size hands.  (Finger grooves always seem designed for somebody else's hands.)  The grip reduction solved this problem.

Glocks have some shining virtues.  They are almost totally reliable with any ammunition (unless limp-wristed).  They are compact, light, and almost indestructible.  With the above modifications, the Model 23 is an almost  perfect self-defense gun.  I like it.  A lot!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 06:02
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Koshkin (Ilya) mentioned Glock grip reductions.  The latest modification to my Glock 23 (Gen 3) is a grip reduction by Cylinder & Slide.

It was expensive, with the recommended full stippling and scalloped mag release, but it was worth it. They didn't just crush down the hump in the back...they reduced the entire grip, and did a wonderful job.  Before, the Glock just felt like a hunk of plastic and metal.  Now it fits my hand perfectly, much like a Colt Commander.

Glock pistols do need improvements, despite the "Glock perfection" claim:
 .  Any self defense pistol is better with night sights (or a laser, if you prefer).  I added TruGlo tritiums.  
. The Glock trigger can't compare to the trigger on a good Model 1911 or a S&W revolver.  I replaced mine with a Zev Tech trigger.
. The grips are awkward, at least in my medium-size hands.  (Finger grooves always seem designed for somebody else's hands.)  The grip reduction solved this problem.

Glocks have some shining virtues.  They are almost totally reliable with any ammunition (unless limp-wristed).  They are compact, light, and almost indestructible.  With the above modifications, the Model 23 is an almost  perfect self-defense gun.  I like it.  A lot!

I like the Glock grips, don't need any modification for me.  I've done trigger work on all my Glocks except my wife's new 26… I'm forcing her to get used to it "as is" and then will lighten and smooth it up.  It shoots very well "stock".  Glocks are tough, and reliable.  Accurate enough, but accuracy can be improved.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 10:35
Just throwing this out there...
A Glock with significantly improved grip ergos, significantly improved trigger, grip stippling, rounded grip...
= an out of the box Walther PPQ!

Yet the PPQ still retains all of the Glock's virtues -- reliability, mechanical and operational simplicity, trigger safety and striker safety, same takedown ease (actually slightly easier), same mag capacity, same polygonal rifling, same Tenifer slide finish, replaceable grip back straps(gen4 Glocks)...

And still improves on the "Glock perfection" by the addition of:
- shorter trigger reset
- micro adjustable rear sight that is still streamlined like a fixed sight
- much better slide to frame fit without the unsightly Glock gap and warped dust cover
- front and rear slide serrations
- tapered slide profile for less drag in and out of holster and less "blocky" look
- improved and ambidextrous slide release
- the easiest sight replacement of any other semiauto duty/self defense pistol ever

All for much less than you'd pay for a tricked out Glock with grip and trigger mods. Even after the trigger mods, the PPQ will still have a better trigger right out of the box. And, whether it's inherently more accurate or not, the average person will shoot tighter groups with the PPQ. The PPQ trigger is so good that I've heard complaints that it's too light for a CCW and has such a short reset that you sometimes get unintended double-taps. These are valid concerns, but ones that can be overcome with training.

The Glock still holds the advantages of greater selection of calibers and barrel length/size categories, much better aftermarket part availability, slightly lower bore axis, and better mfg support reputation. But, if you're looking for a full sized pistol in 9mm, .40, or .45, it's a Glock killer! I've never heard of anyone who has shot both and still preferred the Glock.

I know this is blasphemy to the Glock faithful, but I encourage doubters to go handle and shoot one and see for yourself.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 11:03
My PPQ 4" 9mm. I replaced the OEM polymer sights with Trijicon HDs.

Trijicon HD sights:

Recessed rear sight microadjustment:

I realize this topic started out with a comparison of subcompact pistols and the PPQ series isn't available in a subcompact version at present. However it morphed into full size pistols, where the PPQ should definitely be a consideration vs. Glock and the S&W M&P series.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 11:21
Great review Ted! 

As usual.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2016 at 14:41
Closeup of the PPQ grip. It's sublime! Texture is perfect -- aggressive enough to maintain good control, but not uncomfortably aggressive. With the "medium" back strap (it comes with 3 sizes of back straps), the grip fits my hand as if I was holding a partially melted chocolate bar. 

One of my complaints with the grip profile on some Glocks is the rear "hump" is too low engaging the pad of my lower hand inline with my pinky finger, causing me to naturally point high. The PPQ back strap hump is a little higher so it fits perfectly in my palm recess. The PPK & H&K VP series have the best out of the box grip feel of any pistol I've ever shot. They share similar grip profiles.

Ted

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 12:16
Nice article on the Q5 in Sept. G & A.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 12:24
PPQ is a nice gun although not easy to get in California since it is not on the CA DOJ list.

A friend of mine has it, so I have some experience with it.  I am probably in a minority for whom it is not a great fit and it points low (remember, I learned to shoot with a Glock and it has a good grip angle for me; for this same reason I dislike 1911s.  Every single one I have tried points wrong).

As far as grip shape goes, I really like Sig P320, but it also points wrong.

I am sure I can re-train myself, but I really do not want to.

Then there is the issue of me being very particular about sights and the sights I want are not available for the PPQ.

Besides, I am a tinkerer, which keeps me attracted to Glocks and ARs.  I never need a gunsmith for either one of those.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 12:31

PPQ is a nice gun although not easy to get in California since it is not on the CA DOJ list.

A friend of mine has it, so I have some experience with it.  I am probably in a minority for whom it is not a great fit and it points low (remember, I learned to shoot with a Glock and it has a good grip angle for me; for this same reason I dislike 1911s.  Every single one I have tried points wrong).

Then there is the issue of me being very particular about sights and the sights I want are not available for the PPQ.

Besides, I am a tinkerer, which keeps me attracted to Glocks and ARs.  I never need a gunsmith for either one of those.

ILya

Thats because Mr. Glock had to make his grip angle very different than every other pistol ever made.  Wink  That is my single issue with Glocks, I hat the fact that when I change to one of my other pistols it is such a change.  I would still own my glocks if they were different.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 13:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

ILya

Thats because Mr. Glock had to make his grip angle very different than every other pistol ever made.  Wink  That is my single issue with Glocks, I hat the fact that when I change to one of my other pistols it is such a change.  I would still own my glocks if they were different.

I went the other way and standardized on Glocks.  I just do not train enough to easily switch between different systems.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic