OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optic for my Sig 556

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optic for my Sig 556
    Posted: August/17/2006 at 14:39

Am currently on the waiting list for Sig's new 556 and am starting to think about optics.  Anticipate using it for distances between 50 and 300 yards.  Want something with high quality glass, that's fairly rugged and will provide me with at least a moderate amount of magnification.  Also want something that's relatively compact and light weight.  Have a compact ACOG on my other .223 gun (an AR), which I really like, but want something a little different and with more mangification for this gun.

I also have a fixed IOR on another gun, and have been pretty impressed with the optics.  Also like their reticle.  So I've been considering either the 1.5x8 tactical or the 2x12 tactical.  Both are pretty pricey scopes, but I'm willing to pay for quality.  Anyone have experience with either of these two scopes?  Is the optical quality and light transmission of each roughly comparable.  I like the greater magnification of the 2x12, but the 1.5x8 appears a little smaller and lighter, and since I don't anticipate shooting out much beyond 300 yards, even with these tired old eyes I can probably get away with 8x.

Also, anyone have any other recommendations?  BTW illuminated reticle is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker for me.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2006 at 19:02
If price doesnt scare you off why not get a U.S. Optics SN3 with EREK  3.3-17x

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pippin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2006 at 09:36

Imaginaryfriend - perhaps I should have said I'm willing to pay for quality up to a point.

I can get either of the IOR scopes for around a grand.  Won't the US Optic be twice that?  I have no doubt that the quality is outstanding, but I can't justify spending that much $$$.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2006 at 09:53

I'm just teasing these IOR  scopes would be a fine choice.  Here is another scope that I really like the reticle on:

LEU56994 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Purpose Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
SWFA: $849.95
More Info... Buy Now

Special Purpose Reticle SPR  

New! Special Purpose Reticle (SPR)
With the Special Purpose Reticle, you can engage targets with greater precision at longer ranges than generally possible with other reticle styles, yet also use it for instinctive, close-range/low magnification engagements. It also features several methods of accurate range estimation, using the height or width of the target as a guide. To use the system, simply determine the range to the target using the mil system, then, use the corresponding aiming point that is matched to your cartridge to engage the target. For targets that are inside 300 yards, simply use the center aiming dot to engage.

SPR Illuminated SPR

Special Purpose Reticle (SPR) Illuminated Special Purpose Reticle (SPR)

Range Estimating Methods for SPR

SPR Subtensions Diagram

SPR Subtensions Diagram

SPR Hold Over Values Diagram

SPR Hold Over Values Diagram

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2006 at 11:46

I beleive that the two scopes that you described use the same glass, so I would say get the one with the magnification you want.

show us pics of the 556 when it gets there!!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2006 at 06:52
I have a 2-12x32 and I am very happy with it. 

Whether you go with a 2-12x or 1.5-8x is up to you.  Both are fine scopes.  2-12x32 comes with a MP-8 reticle, and 1.5-8x26 with a CQB reticle.  MP-8 is better for long range shooting, while CQB (as the name suggests) has faster target acquisition and is better for CQB.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2006 at 21:40
I really like that MP8 reticle also I'd follow Koshkin's choice and go  2-12X32. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2006 at 21:54
This is just another reason why I wish the variable Super Snipers were available. I'm getting a 556 as well and don't want to mount a fixed model ontop.

Offtopic but whomever gets their rifle first must post pics! :)
One shot is all ya need!

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2006 at 02:25
I'd like to see them make a fixed 6x in a SS.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pippin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2006 at 12:10
Well, if you like the IOR scopes and the MP8 reticle, you might look at IOR's 6x42 fixed scope.  This is the scope I have on my PTR91 and I really like it - which is why I'm considering another IOR for the Sig.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2006 at 14:32

I do like the IOR 6x42  with MP8 and  have recommended it numerous times although it has gone up about $100 over the last year and a half which is why a $299 super sniper in a 6x would be a welcome addition to the line and much easier for them to build than a variable. 

As for me I need to buy a scope for 375 H&H - a Nikon Monarch gold 1.5-6x42 or possibly a Sightron 1.5-6x42  and as for tacticals I have a Leu Mk 4 10x M3 in its box waiting for a GA Precision gun to be built but the hold up is in getting a Accuracy International folding stock.  Could I find something to slap under an IOR 6x42 - Well I could go buy another encore barrel at the gun show tonight.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic