OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Deer Stalking Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer Stalking Scope
    Posted: July/09/2016 at 20:57
Hi Guys,

I am choosing a scope for my Mauser 30-06 which will primary used for deer stalking. I am looking for something relatively light weight and probably a maximum  of a 44mm objective. I am a novice when it comes to this so any help/advice is appreciated

I am currently tossing up between the following (but am open to other suggestions):

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42

Leica ERi 2.5-10x42

What do you guys think between the two? or are there others in a similar price range? The Leica seems to be slightly more expensive but has an illuminated reticle.

Thanks

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2016 at 21:09
Boy, oh boy!  Those two are on my Wish list!   
Visit the Ed Show
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 00:28
You can add Meopta's Meostar R2 1.7-10x42 to the mix, and probably Leupold's VX6 2-12x42 and still not have a bad choice among the four, all at a similar price.  There are some subtle differences in weight, low light performance, and features (reticles, turrets, illumination, etc...) among the four, so if you give some thought to your priorities it will help your decide which best fits your needs.  Leica seems to offer the best mix of features for my application (I've now got two and am happy with both) but any of the four would realistically do everything I want/need...     
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 02:15
I have the ERi on my 6.5 Creedmoor and love it.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
adzy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 03:16
Thanks guys, the Leica is looking good as the illuminated reticle will be appreciated at dusk/dawn. There is no restriction on hunting times around these parts.

My only apprehension is the fact that they are manufactured in Portugal, is the build quality still good?

I will have a look at the other recommendations as well.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 07:49
Leupold VXR, Trijicon Accupoint are two others well suited for low light conditions. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 16:42
OkWhistling you are in Australia right  --- so,  just a thought,  > I think you could get away with a lot less expensive scope, now if price is no object or if you really have good access to be able to use this rig a lot, which I'm not certain of,  because Australia is from what I have heard highly restrictive of firearms, then either of those are great scopes.  Personally I'm not in the market for anything in that price range and tend to use Vortex Vipers,  Leupold, and Bushnells.  Let me post some scopes that I think are suitable for stalking deer.  Any of these will kill all the deer you can carry off but they wont be as nice as the scopes you mentioned. 
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle ScopeVortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4303
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
$429.95
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle ScopeVortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
$499.95
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle ScopeRedfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67085
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
$189.95

Bushnell 2.5-10x40 Elite 4500 Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS452104B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600 CF
  • 1"
  • RainGuard® HD
  • Ultra Wide Band Coating
  • Fully multi-coated optics
  • Magnum recoil-proof construction
  • One-piece tube
  • 100% waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
  • Argon purged
  • ¼ MOA or finer fingertip, audible and resettable windage and elevation adjustment
  • Bulletproof Guarantee
$479.00
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 RiflescopeLong Range DuplexLeupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$449.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2016 at 16:44
To me the next step up from there is this:
Trijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle ScopeTrijicon 2.5-12.5x42 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR26C200105
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle Post
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • Lenspen
  • Set of Lenscaps
  • AccuPoint Manual
  • Warranty Card
$1,105.00
Trijicon 4-16x50 AccuPower 30mm Rifle ScopeTrijicon 4-16x50 AccuPower 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - RS29C1900022
  • Matte
  • MIL-Square Crosshair w/ Red LED
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Trijicon Logo Sticker
  • Lens Cloth
  • Set of Lenscaps
  • AccuPower Manual
  • Warranty Card
$850.00

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/10/2016 at 16:49

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 00:57
If you can swing Leica ERi, go for it. These are my overall pick among the fairly high end hunting scopes. Swaro Z3 are nice scopes, but ERi is better.

With hunting scopes, the ons I like the mods right now are Leica ERi for 30mm scopes with illuminated reticles and Vortex Razor HD LH for non illuminated 1" scopes.

If you want an illuminated 1" scope, Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 is a good option.

It does not mean that other scopes are not good, but these are the ones that are with me the best.

ILya

adzy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 04:01
Ok, I haven't worked out how to reply to someone yet. 

Urimaginaryfriend, thank you for your recommendations. You make a good point and I do concur, however, I am not looking for a scope that will not just do the job. I do want something a bit nicer though. Yes, Australia is restrictive of Firearms, but that is not to say one cannot hunt. Once you have jumped through all the hoops and actually have a rifle in hand, hunting is for the most part accessible.

koshkin, how much better optically is the Leica? I am leaning towards this option. The Z3 does have a weight advantage that I am not discounting.
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 09:28
I'd go for the ERi personally...
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 10:19

I can't speak for the ERi but I do have the z3 mentioned and think it would be great choice with 4a reticle !
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 13:34
Originally posted by adzy adzy wrote:

Ok, I haven't worked out how to reply to someone yet. 

Urimaginaryfriend, thank you for your recommendations. You make a good point and I do concur, however, I am not looking for a scope that will not just do the job. I do want something a bit nicer though. Yes, Australia is restrictive of Firearms, but that is not to say one cannot hunt. Once you have jumped through all the hoops and actually have a rifle in hand, hunting is for the most part accessible.

koshkin, how much better optically is the Leica? I am leaning towards this option. The Z3 does have a weight advantage that I am not discounting.

I am not sure how you would like me to quantify it.  The better question is whether it is worth the price difference.

It is to me, but it may or may not be to you.  That is sort of a personal choice.

ERi has slightly better resolution, better contrast and, to me, is easier to get behind.  It also has an illuminated reticle.  It really competes in a different range.

If you are looking at 1" scopes, like the Z3, you should be looking at the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40, which is dangerously close to the Z3 in terms of optical quality, but offer a broader magnification range and more easygoing eyepiece for less money.

ILya

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 14:29
When you get to that level of optics in a riflescope, it will make little difference between that Leica, Swaro Z6, or a Meopta R2 for that matter.  I'd pick the one that has a reputation for holding zero/POI first, then worry about the glass.  Eyebox/user friendliness trumps absolute optical prowess too, in my book anyway. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2016 at 16:08
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

When you get to that level of optics in a riflescope, it will make little difference between that Leica, Swaro Z6, or a Meopta R2 for that matter.  I'd pick the one that has a reputation for holding zero/POI first, then worry about the glass.  Eyebox/user friendliness trumps absolute optical prowess too, in my book anyway. 

And reticle. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
adzy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2016 at 02:19
Any one had any hands on with the schmidt and bender summit?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2016 at 07:48
I owned a S&B Summit with plex reticle for a short while.   It had the typical Euro flare......superb optics, well made, and a reticle that was much too thin in low light or up against a dark background to be usable for me.  It also had eye relief issues at higher mags.  For these reasons I saw no point in keeping it.  They are way overpriced IMO. 
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2016 at 21:25
Wow, y'all like to spend some serious money for a deer scope. Especially if your actually stalking them. Stalking tends to equate to closer range. Any of the 1~4x24 30mm scopes like the Vortex Crossfire or PST or Leatherwood etc. Etc.
Unless SWFA can now export the SS scopes. Then the 1~4 Classic is about all anyone could want. I had great results with mine. The ranging reticle is super fast and intuitive And accurate. On my 6.5 Creedmoor it made 300+360 yard shots on caribou. 1shot kills. Seated with a willow for a rest. 18.6" barreled carbine. Hard to argue with the success of 1 shot kills on walking animals . Now if your shooting at over 600 y/m then more magnification would be good. But that's not really stalking.

Edited by Cold Trigger Finger - July/17/2016 at 21:34
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic