OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to shooting need a scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to shooting need a scope
    Posted: July/04/2016 at 00:10
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am new to shooting! In fact I haven't even shot a gun yet lol. I live in Canada so I just received my license to buy firearms that is why. Anyways, I am in the market for a nice scope for target shooting at paper 200 yards and under. I dont want to spend thousands and would love to spend as little as possible but i also dont want a subpar scope. 

I have been looking at a few scopes but dont know that much about them and havent seen through any of them before. I would preferably like to see the holes in the target as I shoot instead of using a spotting scope . (if possible)

$460   Nikon Prostaff 5  4.5-18x40  1 inch
$485   Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm
$750   Vortex Viper 30mm 6.5-20x50mm
$925   Leupold vx-2 6-18x40mm
$1000 Vortex Viper HS-T VRM-1 6-24x50mm

I am just listing ones i have been looking at and reading about slightly. The caliber I would be shooting is either .223 or a 308.

I would rather not spend $1000 unless i really have to. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated. Thos scopes i listed are not the only choices I have again, jut ones i have read about.
gardenhose View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 06:46
Why is there no option to edit my post? I cant find one at least. Anyways,

Another couple scopes I forgot to add  with the price is. I already added the tax in

$760  Nikon Monarch 3  5-20x44mm
$813  Leupold Mark AR Mod 1  6-28x40mm
$895  Nikon Monarch 3  6-24x50mm
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 08:49
Welcome to the OT forums garden hose! I believe you need 50 posts before you can edit. Anyway, concerning your scope choices... on your list I like the Monarch 3 5-20 and the Leupy VX2. That said, there are many great scopes available to choose from. I'd take a serious look at the SWFA Super Sniper 3-15 X 42 for sure. I'd also suggest that you go through the Sample List (here) for other choices at great prices.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 12:12
Im not sure 15x is enough magnification to be able to see bullet holes on paper from 200 yards though. I wish it would that would make my options far cheaper and far more. Is there a reason why you liked the Monarch 3 5-20x44mm over the Monarch 3 6-24x50-mm? Or just the price? I am also wondering if for $925 CDN after tax i could get a better scope than the vx-2. All confused. That's why i am here! Ill look for the sample list.
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 17:35
That's a hell of a lot of magnification for 200 yards and less. What are you shooting, bees?
We've become a nation of wolves ruled by sheep, owned by swine, over fed, and put to sleep.

-Otep
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 17:47
A few thoughts, in no real order.

223 will be far cheaper to shoot than 308, and will be easier on recoil, avoiding the introduction of a flinch.

That said, if the rifle will ever be used to take game more than small critter, 308 is infinitely more useful.

Glass quality beats high magnification every time. If you plan on buying an inexpensive scope >20X, get ready for dark images, really tricky head position, and very distracting movements in the reticle. I run some very, very nice scopes and almost never send one above 20X. If I am shooting a mile, 20X is nice; shorter range, you just don
5 need it!

The 3-15SS is a nice all-around scope. Whether ideal or not depends mostly on use and rifle (what rifle will this be going on?)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 19:49
Good advice in this thread.

First, decide on which exact rifle you are getting and what exactly you will do with it.  If it is simply a range plinker, that is one thing.  However, if you plan to hunt with it, that is a different ballgame entirely.  

Generally, if you are new to rifle shooting, oftentimes less is more.

Most scopes you mentioned are either not very good for someone new or not very good period.

Get either a 3-9x42 or a 3-15x42 with a easily visible reticle and reliable adjustments (not that you need all that much for 200 and under).

Probably the best general purpose scopes I can think of are SWFA 3-9x42 and 3-15x42.  I prefer FFP version but for target shooting at close ranges, SFP 3-15x42 works very well also (that is what I use one for).

Today is 4th of July, so SWFA has some really good prices up.

However, if you want to spend a little less and all you will do is target shooting, get as SWFA 10x42 fixed power and be done with it.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 20:57
Thanks for the responses. I take it all into account and I am in no rush. Would rather make the right choices and take my time.  What about the scopes i mentioned though? I do not want anythign from swfa since i am from Canada and you cant import scopes easily from the U.S Stupid ITAR. And yes i am leaning towards the .223 for the recoil reasons. I am scared a 308 will annoy me after a few rounds. Especially since i was going to buy a Ruger Precision Rifle which is almost $2000 in Canada. I will not be hunting with it at all. I do not like killing animals only shooting non living things. Off topic but The Rifles I am looking at currrently are 

$800 Savage Trophy Hunter International XP .223 (comes with cheap scope that i would get rid of Weaver 3x9)
$660 Save Axis II XP in .223 (cheap scope again Weaver 3x9)
$678 Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Stainless!/Sythetic .223
$1920 Ruger Precision Rifle .308

Also, I found a place selling a new Leupold vx-2 6-18x40mm for $867 after shipping and tax instead of $925 like most places

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 21:22
SWFA does sell scopes to Canada, but that is your call who to buy from.

Now, that we know your use case a little better, we can come up with better recommendations.

On rifles: since you are not going to be hunting you can afford to get something a little more precision oriented.

Of the choices you listed, only RPR is along those veins.  The rest of the rifles you listed are hunting rifles.  If you are not going to hunt, do not get a hunting rifle.  Lightweight rifles tend to have barrels that heat up quickly.  That is counter productive for target shooting which is your primary purpose.  

Also, keep in mind that cheap huntign rifles have cheap and crappy stocks which is not conducive to consistent accuracy.

RPR is a good option, but there is a whole rang of other rifles that will fit the bill as well if you can not swing the RPR.

Here is what I would be looking for: factory stock Savage or Tikka, with a mid- to heavy weight barrel of around 20" in length.  Either 223 or 308 will do fine, but 223/5.56 kicks less and consts less, so for your purposes that is the better option.

Factory plastic stocks are generally not great, but wood laminate ones are OK.  Otherwise, if you have to get a separate aftermarket stock from McMillan or HS Precision or someone like that, you will end up spending the same as you would on an RPR in the first place.

Look at Savage model 12 varminter.  The barrel is 26" long, but that should be fine for you.

Same for Tikka varmint models.

With scopes, I am not a fan of VX-2. Honestly, I do not like anything in the Leupold line below the VX-3.

If you a hell bent on high magnification, get Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50.  That's your best bang for the buck.

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 21:27
If you were looking at a Ruger Precision Rifle, I would look at a 6.5 creedmore or the .243 over the 308.  Both have a lesser recoil than the 308 and the 6.5 is a great long distance round. But not sure or the availability in Canada though. In the Savage I like the LRP series which are in the same calibers as the Ruger.

For the scopes I would tend to lean towards the Vortex, but the Leupold would be a good choice as well. And I would stay at a max magnification of 15 or 18x. And use some sort of shot and see targets that change color when the bullet hits them. I have yet to meet a new shooter who didn't want a high magnification scope. Thinking it would make things easier to see. But high magnification and poor glass will not let you see better. You are just magnifying a poor image. And I was in that category myself, but now I know better.

And what ever you do, don't skimp on rings. Talley's would be a good choice without breaking the bank.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2016 at 21:34
I was thinking SWFA didn't sell to Canada, but since ILya pointed out they do. That changes things for me. I would be looking at a SS 10X HD plus I believe they are on sale this week. Great glass and tracking.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 04:39
Great advice guys. What about the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50mm ? I can get that for around $900 after tax

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 09:41
I recommend you get what you want; but also say be ready to buy again if you go with a 30X scope.  It will be far less useful than you think.

Voice of experience!

Get the SS3-15 and call it good.  Spend everything you have left on ammo and range time.

I own only 1 Savage, it is a 22 trainer and I like it.  I own a few Tikkas and will buy more.  I highly recommend you add Tikka to your list of possible rifles, exceptional value, very accurate, very smooth, good stock trigger.

Finally, 243 or 6.5 are good options, but 223 is a good one as well. For a beginner, it is a good round, cheap, easy to shoot, and will let you learn some basics without developing bad habits.  I also highly (HIGHLY) recommend some good, professional instruction!  The skill set is infinitely more valuable than the scope and rifle.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 09:49
Another vote for a .223/5.56.  If you get one with a 1-8" twist then you can shoot the heavier bullets like 69+ grain bullets.  With the 75 to 77 grain bullets target shooting 600 to 800 yards is very doable.

I also agree to not get sucked in to thinking you need a high mag scope.  I once owned a scope that goes over 20X.  I never used it over 18x for shooting, ever.  I had it on a 300 WSM tactical rifle, so I occasionally shot that rifle beyond 1000 yards.  But everything about it was better below 20x. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 12:47

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR 

Savage 308 WIN   10 FCP-SR 24" Barrel 
If I only owned one rifle it would not be a .223 it would be something in a .30 caliber cartridge either .308 or 30-06 or 300 WM or 300 WSSM of those the .308 has the least recoil.  Irregardless of what else the rifle does it would have to be legal to use for taking large game and most places wont let you hunt with smaller than a .243. 
Of the out of the box rifles that I have owned the Savage rifles particularly those made for police  and the Remington R5 Mil Spec and the Tikka  +  Sako  rifles have all shot very well out of the box with no added work.  If one has a competent gunsmith one can make any Rem 700 into a shooter and some other rifles.  But a Tikka in any caliber does not leave the factory unless it shoots groups under one inch.  I particularly like the detachable magazine on some Savage Police models and find a detachable magazine highly desirable having put Badger Bottom metal etc on several Remmingtons at considerable cost.   As for scopes if you want to buy once cry once the Super Sniper 5-20x50 is a superb choice.  If you want magnification to see bullet holes the Super Sniper 16 X is a better choice than the 20 X in my opinion having owned both. There are shoot and see targets which can aid this. So my suggestion is the police model Savage in .308 with detachable magazine with one of the two mentioned Super Sniper scopes.   Now if all you ever want to do is shoot paper the .223 is fine but select the twist for the bullet you want to shoot  if you will shoot 77 gr you want a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist and if you shoot the light bullets like 50 gr you want the 1 in 12 twist.  The .308 should be about a 1 in 10 twist and I load 190 gr bullets and 200 gr bullets where most loaded ammo is 150 to 180 gr. So you can get more out of the rifle at longer distances by hand loading ammo with heavier bullets. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 12:50

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardenhose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:19
Thanks for the advice! Yes i like the Tikka t3 Stainless look. I think that i probably need a max 18x scope now... I am all over the place now lol. Everyone here is recommending the SS scopes and its making me feel sketchy lol. They are not recommended anywhere else that i have read, only here. I think people are completley biased here. Not that they arent good but i would rather stick to Leupold or Vortex  or even Nikon. And I am from Canada so that maeks things more expensive for those SS scopes anyways. Literally about 40% more and then i have to pay shipping and duties on top of that. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:37
If you feel we are so biased, feel free to disregard our advice.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Buy whatever rocks your boat.  Perhaps, we were all wrong and what you really need is a Counter Sniper scope.  They were made for people who, like you, insist on learning everything the hard way.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:37
Nothing wrong with those other brands, and where i in your shoes would probably feel the same. Money talks. The Viper 6.5-20x is a great scope. I iwned one for a while and liked it alot, but eventually i wanted a lower bottom end so it moved on. But dor a target scope it would do nicely

We are biased to the SS scopes, but that is for good reason. I own Swaro, Leupold, Vortex, Trijicon, Bushnell, Sightron, Meopta, SWFA SS, IOR, and have owned many others. SS scopes hold their own against anything they compete with. They are an excellent value and have amazing mechanics and good and excellent glass depending upon which models you get.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2016 at 20:47
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Nothing wrong with those other brands, and where i in your shoes would probably feel the same. Money talks.

We are biased to the SS scopes, but that is for good reason. I own Swaro, Leupold, Vortex, Trijicon, Bushnell, Sightron, Meopta, SWFA SS, IOR, and have owned many others. SS scopes hold their own against anything they compete with. They are an excellent value and have amazing mechanics and good and excellent glass depending upon which models you get.

At the moment I have a few scopes of different make in the safe: 

1x Leupold
4x Vortex
1x Tangent Theta
1x Elcan
3x Steiner
1x Athlon
2x Burris
4x Nikon
1x Styrka
9x SWFA SS
3x Sightron
1x Kahles
2x SigSauer

I am sure there are others somewhere in there that I do not remember.  These are just the ones I can think of.  They rotate as I go through the tests and release articles, but it is fairly common for me at any given time to have a dozen or so scopes that I am looking at for different write-ups in addition to a couple of dozen I own.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic