OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I Know We Are Generous But Come On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Know We Are Generous But Come On
    Posted: June/23/2016 at 14:57

A customer purchased a SS 16x42 MQ in August of 2015, calls yesterday and says he has spent 10 months trying to sight it in and used over 500 rounds of hand loads using up half of his barrel life and can not get it sighted in.  Says he replaced it with another scope and it worked fine........so he wants us to replace it with a 5-20x to compensate him for his ammo, barrel and time.

I thought it was a joke at first.  We asked what mount did he use on his Savage Model 10 FCTFR .308 as we noticed he has purchased our SSALT mount too and he said he used it, then back tracked and said, no that is on my AR, I used regular two piece rings.  We asked what rings he used and what scope he used when he took the SS off and replaced it with another scope that worked.  He said same rings, he just took the SS off and put on a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12x.  When we asked him are you sure because the SS is 30mm and the Burris is 1", he replied that he forgot and he changed rings too.  He was using "Millet See-Thru Picatinny style tactical rings" on the Savage with the SS (way too high and not known to be the best rings).

We told him you cannot narrow down what is causing a problem when you change everything, you have to systematically change one thing at a time.  We thoroughly tested the SS he returned and determined that nothing was wrong with the scope.

So now we try to make him happy by offering to take his nearly one year old used SS on trade offering him $250 on trade toward a SS 5-20x or 3-15x and offered to reduce the price of either by 20% to keep him as a loyal customer.  He refused and still wanted us to give him a 5-20x for his time and ammo.  We told him we could not stay in business long doing things like that, so we offered to send him a new 16x at no charge and he accepted that but was not happy.

He said he would be doing some online reviews of his experience so if you see anything pop up let us know so we can tell the whole story.

He sent us three of his forty targets that he claims prove the SS 16x was defective.

Edited by Chris Farris - June/24/2016 at 15:31
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 15:12
Wonder if he's going to ask Savage for a new rifle too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 15:26
Chris you should have said very nicely that you sell quality products but unfortunately you don't sell ability or brains.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 15:48
Maybe he should see Mike McDonald's "groups" when using a Savage and a SS. You know...just as a reference. 

Bear in mind folks...This is a TWO.. SEPARATE..FIVE shot groups fired out a stock Savage and a SS 10x...as Mike say's "lying prone in the dirt".

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 15:54
I've never seen a set of "see through" rings I liked… but that's just me.  

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 16:16
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I've never seen a set of "see through" rings I liked… but that's just me. 

I found his ring choice to be contradictory to his apparent quest for benchrest type accuracy myself.  They don't even make those rings any longer (for a reason).  When we sold them we had many returns and broke quite a few ourselves installing them.  We heard a rumor (from a reputable source) that they were made from recycled aluminum cans in China.

See through rings on a rifle that has no sights is odd, it just makes for inconsistent and awkward head placement.  I think we should send him a set of low SS-Tac rings with his replacement scope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 16:28
Millet....Light It Up
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 17:26
I assume it was Nikon ProStaff, not Burris.  I'll keep an eye out if I see this character show up anywhere reputable.  I know that he will get laughed at on most forums like the Hide and others.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 20:35
Millet Angle-Locs are awesome rings… everything else is poor…  They once made a pretty good scope, then they went cheap…
I've used Angle-Locs on some pretty heavy bangers and never had an issue, was introduced to them by a Viet-Nam era Marine Corps sniper.  I figured if they were good enough for him, they were darn sure good enough for me.  
The problem, that I have seen, that most people have with them is THEY DON'T READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS…
The "sight through" rings are a different story.  I wouldn't use them on a broomstick "gun"… might cause a miss...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 20:46
Chris,
This is how confident I am in SWFA SS (and any other SWFA) products.  You've told us that your personnel checked out that scope and found no problems.  I will buy it, perform a DETAILED review of it and then let SWFA choose a category for me to donate it to in the upcoming September Guardian Shoot.  There are very few optics out there that I have that much faith in.  Send it...

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2016 at 21:41
I think Peddlers signature line is very appropriate here.

Chris I think you have been very very generous with him. You caught him in numerous (cough cough) inaccuracies in his story. And just what sort of unique individual takes 500 rounds to figure out the scope is broken??? I would like to see the targets with the "other scope" and how they differ.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 07:40

500 rounds? Slow learner huh? Although, I rarely go to the range with less! I wonder if I bought a VW can I ask for a Porsche. You know my gas mileage.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 13:10
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

500 rounds? Slow learner huh? Although, I rarely go to the range with less! I wonder if I bought a VW can I ask for a Porsche. You know my gas mileage.

Sense the faint whiff of sarcasm there, Mike. Big Grin
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 13:19
Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Switch rings. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Switch scope and rings. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Switch rings around, turn scope backwards. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Dial up 12 clicks, down 34, right 18, left 25. Close both eyes. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Hold rifle between thighs and pull trigger with coat hanger. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm? Add curved WWII German muzzle adaptor to shoot around corners. Bang. Bang. Bang. Hmm?

Uh, oh. Rusty ammo can of surplus 1958 Congolese "black cat" reloads is empty. Now where did I buy this stuff? Oh, yeah! SWFA. I'll get those jerks to pay for this.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 15:24
What if it really is all about the .........HOKEY POKEY!!!!!

Sharp ShooterEek

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 15:32
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I assume it was Nikon ProStaff, not Burris.  I'll keep an eye out if I see this character show up anywhere reputable.  I know that he will get laughed at on most forums like the Hide and others.

ILya

Typo corrected.  Clown

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 17:51
I'll repeat Dan's offer, send me the scope, I'll put it on a laser of a rifle, put 20 through it, and post the pic of the 20 holes.  I can do a torture box test and a 10mil spot check.

I have yet to find a range commando admit that the problem is the Indian and not the bow.  And if I claimed to have put 500 rounds down the tube, I'd have more than a few pictures to show it.

Loyal customers are a great thing for a company, liars don't count much in that mix.  If the story changes that often and that dramatically, he or she will claim whatever he or she wants online, regardless of what you do and regardless of what the scope can do.

This is an opportunist.  If he writes a bad review, he'll get questions he can't answer, or he'll spew some of the same crap he already gave you (SSALT on a bolt gun, swapped scoped in same rings - though one is 30mm and one is 1 inch) and the weight given the review will be proportional.

Your offer is generous.

I've run at least 15 SS scopes over the years, have yet to run one that would produce that result - assuming I did my part.  I'm sure they fail, but that isn't a failure of the optic, that is piss-poor shooting.

Was he drunk when he was shooting?  Worth asking, looks that way to me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 17:57
Read my signature!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 18:04
Wow, RC. You've been here since early '05??     
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2016 at 18:09
To both of you👍👍👍🍸🍸🍸.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic