OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Tasco Titan Line Of Scope ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tasco Titan Line Of Scope ???
    Posted: July/19/2004 at 17:32
I did a search on this line of scopes here and all I found was a few lines about their high quality, but the run being discontinued because of support.  I see a line of Tasco scopes called Titan on almost every auction site labeled as "new" and have looked through some at a couple a shows and such and they seem great.  Has Tasco reintroduced their Titan line?  I have heard that they have and as a new scope, come with the same warranty that come with other Tasco offerings.  I see very little offered from Tasco through SWFA on the website so I thought I'd come here.  Right now, I'm looking at a 3-12x52 to go on a .280 AI .  Any info on the line would be appreciated.  >>  klallen
klallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 07:15
Anybody?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 15:02

klallen,

Tasco kinda reintroduced the Titan line.  Only two of the ones they currently sell as Titan scopes are really Titans and these two are not the same as the original made in Japan Titan.  Look closely at the stock numbers and you can tell what the other models really are as tasco has always used abbreviations for stock numbers.

3.5 - 10 x 50mm

3 - 9 x 44mm

1.5 - 6 x 52mm

1.5 - 6 x 42mm

DWCP = World Class Plus

T = Titan

If you go to http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/titan_main.shtml and click on the images you will see the scopes are different in appearance.  In my opinion, I think the new Bushnell regime has picked a popular name from Tasco's past that had some success and rushed some products to market while they are really getting things organized for a full January SHOT show launch of new and exciting products.

We will start picking up the new tasco lines soon and they all will have a lifetime warranty.  The 3-12 and 1.5-6 versions are Titans and good scopes for the money.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 16:01

Chris, there are more Titan scopes on their website. The website itself is a little screwy to navigate.  If you click on the word "more" in faint letters right under the picture of a riflescope objective, it'll take you to the next page that has more Titan scopes.

ILya

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 16:10

1.5 - 6 x 52mm

I thought it was strange for this scope to have the picture and stock number of a 3-12 but the description of a 1.5-6.  Further evidence that thinks are not in order at tasco yet.
klallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 17:52

Thanks Chris.  The scope I'm looking at is indeed the Titan "T"3-12x52.  I noticed the World Class Plus scopes lumped in there, too.  Didn't give it much thought; just figured they put the scope in the wrong catagory.?.?.?.?

Anyway, appreciate the input.  >>  korey

MAGNIFICATION: 3-12x
FIELD-OF-VIEW: 27'-10.' @ 100 yards
EXIT PUPIL: 17.3mm @ 3x /  4.3mm @ 12x
LENS COATING: Fully multi-coated
FOCUS TYPE: Fast Focus Eyebell
PARALLAX SETTING: 100 yards
OBJECTIVE LENS DIAMETER: 52mm
EYE RELIEF: 4.5"
RETICLE TYPE: 30/30
WINDAGE/ELEVATION: 1/4 M.O.A Adjustments
TUBE DIA: 30mm Adv. Monotube Construction
WEIGHT: 20.7 oz.
LENGTH:14"
FINISH: Black Matte
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 18:20

i dont know why, with all of the other options out there, anyone would buy a trashco?

maybe i am wrong here but in any price range, there are scopes i would rather have than tasco

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 18:56
Well, maybe now when Tasco is owned by BPO, they'll get their act together.  I've had a few scopes from Tasco over the last few years, and some were quite decent.  I still have a rimfire scope that is working quite well for me, a 4x32 scope that has held up very well, and a couple of 30mm pistol scopes with AO that are optically quite good (I might sell two these though since I do not shoot pistols with scopes a whole lot).  I bought a few Tasco scopes when I was just beginning to get into guns and optics.  Some I did not like due to their optical quality, but I do not think I actually had one fail on me.
klallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 19:45

I've heard folks say the same thing about Savage rifles.  Savage has a stigma about them because of a reputation earned a long time ago when quality was not necessarily at the top of the priority list.  Now, I don't think a NIB offering from any major manufacturer can run with the consistent accuracy Savage offers.  BUT, folks still think they're junk simply because they were     ...     at one time.

Same's true with Tasco.  Opinions about lack-luster quality that describe their low end specials are incorrectly blanketed over their higher $$$ offerings.  I love my $300 Custom Shop.  Bought it from Chris back in 2002.  It's a great scope for the $$$.  My EXP, too.  The design has been discountinued, but that certainly isn't a quality issue.  Folks just didn't take to the "look" where mine has been functioning on a .270 without a flaw.  Would I be better served with something else?  For this latest consideration (the Titan and it's cost), we're looking at similar priced things like the Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman, Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster, Simmons Aetec.  Ya honestly think one's gonna out perform the other on a .280 AI?  I would submit if ya believe so, you're kidding yourself.  One thin I don't to is buy a product simply for name purpose.  I feel no security blanket in getting a VX-1 just cause it's got Leupold stamped on it.

In truth, these Tasco / Savage type opinions have been long played out.  At least as far as I'm concerned.

I don't mind giving rifles or optics a fair shake when an honest effort is made at a quality product.  I'm not all that worried about the performance I'll get from the Titan.  Matter of fact, I'm vary much looking forward to it.  Later.  >>  klallen

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 20:13
Well, Tasco's reputation for crappy quality control is fairly recent, but since Bushnell has acquired Tasco we can probably clean the slate and see what happens.  I will not hesitate to try a new Tasco scope if the price is right (I will also not hesitate to return it if the quality is crap).  As for scopes around $200, for the time being it is hard to beat Burris FF2 and Bushnel Elite 3200.  Tasco Titan scopes better be pretty good to compete in this price range.  Leupold Rifleman and VX-I, IMO, are well built scopes, but they just do not have the optical quality and features to compete with Burris and Elite 3200.  Same goes for Nikon Buckmaster.  They get a lot of attention because of Leupold/Nikon name and warranty, but, IMO, there is not much to recommend them beyond that.

Edited by koshkin
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 21:33

Well said Koshkin.  I could not agree more.

ranburr

klallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2004 at 22:53

"Tasco Titan scopes better be pretty good to compete in this price range."

I agree with this statement.

However, it's all to easy for folks to assume the Titan line will stink simply because of the Tasco association.  Assuming, and from what I've heard about the Titan line, it isn't so much an assumption as a fact, BUT FOR NOW, we'll assume the Titan is in fact a quality scope along the same vein as the Fullfield II or 3200, this info will never get out but more importantly will never be fully accepted if it does get out simply because of the underlying sentiment that ALL Tasco products, no matter the cost, are sub-par.  There is quality in "certain" Tasco products.  There are folks that know this to be true.  Problem is far to few take the time to find it out.  The have this trumped up notion that if they get themselves a VX-I, they've magically gotten themselved quality because of the gold ring and the name of the company.  It's silly.  >>  klallen   

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 00:53

For now, I will assume that it is junk until they prove me wrong.  I would go with a proven winner like the Bushnell Elite or the Burris Fullfield II.  I do not think that the Tasco is going to be the equal of these scopes.  Reason being, why would Bushnell want to build a scope good enough to steall sales away from the 3200 line?  Secondly, Bushnell already tried to sell Tasco to Meade before the deal was squashed by the govt.  I think the only thing that makes since is for these scopes to be low-end/low cost.  It would take a lot of time and money to try and change Tasco's reputation and no guarantee that it could ever be done.  Even if you do manage to improve things, if you keep the line you are going to loose sales in other areas.  If you build the line up to sell it off, you just created a competitor that is stealing business because you designed it good enough to compete with your core products. 

ranburr

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 13:50

Hey guys I try out a lot of different scopes, expensive and cheap and I'm here to tell you those Tasco Titans are the real deal (the 3-9x42 and 3-12x52).  A couple of years ago, I set a Tasco Titan 3-12x52 side by side with a Leupold 4.5-14 LPS.  Guess what happened, almost all of my friends (big leupold owners) also looked through the two and thought the Tasco was clearer and brighter!  We also did low light testing too and the edge to edge clarity was very impressive on the Titan.  I guess old habits are hard to break and folks just won't try anything other than the L brand.  If any of you have the ability to line them ALL up and look through them HONESTLY, I think you will be impressed too!   By the by, my other scopes are from Swarovski, Bausch&Lomb, Burris and Leupold.  I just bought a Tasco Titan 3-9x42 for my daughter's Remington Titanium in 7/08.  I've since traded that other rifle scope combination off (3-12x52 Tasco Titan and a Winchester Mdel 70) and am looking really hard at getting another 3-12x52 for a semi custom Remington 300 Ultra Mag that I have. 

The last comparison I did at the range was a few months ago when I was running out of shooting light.  The rifles I had with me on that particular day were a custom built pre 64 model 70 Winchester with a 4-12x50 Swarovski and a new model 70 classic stainless with a Bausch&Lomb 2.5-10x40.  It was getting dark and the fog was rolling in.  I just finished my groups with the new model 70 sporting the B&L and thought it was too dark to see any longer so I started to pack up.  I had another group left to shoot out of the custom model 70 that was sporting the Swarovski so I figured I might as well give it a go.  Well I'm here to tell you that the comparison between those two scopes in those conditions was NO CONTEST!  I could easily shoot the Swarovski and I could barely make out the target with the B&L.  Just remember, bright sunny days are not proper testing grounds for any scope, it needs to be done in failing light with some rain/fog if you really want to see the difference!  I will compare the Swarovski to the Tasco Titan in the near future and give a report back.  

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 14:27

why would Bushnell want to build a scope good enough to steall sales away from the 3200 line? - ranburr

Good point.

We are only thinking of the U.S. market.  Tasco sold more scopes in other markets than Bushnell.  Also keep in mind that Bushnell only bought the name and intellectual rights.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 15:17

Gozarian, no offense but I think you and your buddies should consult an optomitrist immediately!  Be sure that you have someone else drive you guys to the doctor.  I will start by saying that I have never compared a Titan to an LPS, but you are making a pretty bold statement.  If a Titan is truly a brighter, clearer scope, then Leupold should close their doors today.  The LPS is the flagship so to speak.  In the LPS line we are talking about scopes that you could argue are some of the best ever made anywhere.  I do not believe that Tasco under any management has ever attempted to compete at this level.  I don't doubt the scope looks good, as I have said in the past, they all look good in the store.  I just find it hard to believe that any Tasco could be anywhere near the level of an LPS.  I don't mean to chastise you here, I just find your statement pretty hard to swallow.  If I am missing something here please enlighten me.

ranburr 

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 15:27

Gozarian,

Does your Titan look a little different than the ones pictured above by chance?  What type of reticle does it have too?  Is it marked made in Japan on the scope?

The very first Titan scopes by Tasco were a real attempt at a Euro quality scope.  We actually supplied them with a S&B, Swarovski and Zeiss scope for dissection on an early project named "Euro-Class".  The EuroClass was the predecessor to the Titan.  Not many original Titans were made on the first run.  The prices were so high that consumers would say, "shoot for that kinda money I'll just buy a Leupold, etc. etc.".  People could not get over the dreaded tasco name.  The project died but the name lived on being reincarnated as a similar looking scope later and then as an even cheaper model later.  The original ones had a special hold over / range reticle that was basically a little dot on the 6 o'clock post.  The second lesser quality scopes had this too but I think it was dropped on the third run.

klallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 22:59

How would quality Tasco Titan line of scopes be considered a competitor to the Bushnell 3200, when revenue from both, in the end, would be going into the same pot, so to speak?

That said, even if ya do still insist that they are competing products, Leupold seems to be just fine with the idea, as they are offering their VX-I and Rifleman lines at the same time.  Bushnell too, matter of fact, with their Banner and Trophy lines.  Offering similarly prices lines within the same company certainly isn't anything new and I certainly wouldn't use this thinking as some sort of motivation for Bushnell to intentionally keep Tasco Titan quality low to better aid 3200 sales.  That just ain't good business sense.

The way I see it, it would only benefit Bushnell's cash flow to make an effort to put out a quality Tasco scope.  All they'd be doing from such move is reaping the rewards.  >>  klallen

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2004 at 23:45
Hey gozarian, I'm looking forward to the test results between the Titan and Swarovski scopes. Bausch & Lomb has a pharmaceutical division that markets a vitamin supplement called " Ocuvite" which is said to promote healthy eye growth.Take as directed for 3-6 months prior to further range testing.

Edited by Roy Finn
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2004 at 00:30

klallen wrote:

That just ain't good business sense.

klallen

Actually, Business School 101 will tell you not to do this.  What good is it to merely redistribute the wealth especially when you are going to be out start-up cost?  There are start-up cost involved with any new line (even brand labeled) that are hard to recoop in any market.  This market at this level would be considered a mature market in the product life cycle.  From a business perspective there is more risk than return when you attemp to enter a mature market.  I don't think that the Titan will offer anything new and will do nothing but drain Bushnell resources.  As Chris stated earlier, Tasco may be destined more for an overseas role than a true domestic product.  I personally don't think that domesticly Tasco will ever overcome the stigma of being Tasco.  As far as your Leupold scenerio, these are not competitors.  The Rifleman line is the old Vari-XI  and the VXI is the old Vari-X2.  These two go after different segments of the market and Leupold's start up cost with the VXIII are justified because they brought in a new product that was a significant improvement that adressed shortcomings in both the market and their product line.  Bushnell already covers from the bottom end to as good as it gets with the Elites.  What I could see is a very low-end brand labeled product to compete with BSA at your local Walmart.  I guess we need to see if the Bushnell execs attended the same MBA classes that I did.   

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic