OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

12 power vs 16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richethec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 power vs 16
    Posted: June/13/2016 at 20:29
Hi, my name is Rich. I want to get a new scope, a super sniper. I am shooting ground squirrels, woodchucks, and coyotes. I used to have a 20 power super sniper, but it had a problem with the mirage. I am wondering if a 16 power will have mirage, or should i go to the 12 power? Ground squirrels are up to 200 yards away.
Thanks
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 20:37

That is too much power for that distance.  For 200 yds. a nice 3-9 power

scope would be a good choice.  You will have less mirage, and a better clearer

view of the target.  SWFA sells many scopes in that size, so check it out.

richethec View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richethec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 20:48
Ground squirrels, also known as sage rats, are about 5in tall. and woodchucks blend into the wood pile and its hard to tell unless you see their face. A 3x9 wont do the job.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 21:07

Good luck, you also have to know how to shoot a rifle.

Try open sights for a while and hone your shooting skills.Smile

richethec View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richethec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 21:34
all i want to know is does 16 power have mirage heat waves
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 21:43
You are correct, the higher the power more mirage.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 21:49
I would go 12 or maybe even 10 if u are dealing with bad mirage. 16x will help, but if its a strong mirage that could be to much too. Especially on 5 inch targets.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2016 at 21:55
Up until about 5 years ago, I went prairie dog shooting twice a year every year in the spring, and I had no trouble shooting them at 800+ yards using 12 - 14X. Mirage is always a factor on warm days. No scope can eliminate the effects of mirage, as that is an environmental condition that is independent of the optic. A lower powered scope still shows mirage at distance, it just doesn't magnify the effect as much. I have found that 14-15X or so is my own personal upper magnification limit for shooting varmints at extreme distance no matter the conditions. Much more than that, and I didn't gain any usable detail for me to compensate for loss of FOV due to the mirage and increased eye fatigue. If I was shooting rodents at 200 yards, I would choose a 10X scope, not only because it is more than enough power for me for 5" targets, but also because it provides a more forgiving exit pupil and leads to less eye fatigue over a long day of shooting. 

But, that's me.

You will still see mirage at distance on a hot day, though...no matter which you choose. It will just be less annoying on lower power.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2016 at 08:41
I hate my Nikon monarch at 16x.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2016 at 12:11
If you can scrounge the extra money, the SS 3-9 would be your best bet. The 3x9 has HD glass. You will be amazed at how much more detail you can see with better glass than magnification. Only problem comes that once you experience the clarity of the better glass, you will be wanting to replace all of your scopes of lesser quality. Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic