OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex gen2 3 x 18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Warhors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex gen2 3 x 18
    Posted: June/07/2016 at 23:07
A question for Rancid Coolaid, and others with pertinent experience...  I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle for long range and silhouette work.  I am considering the vortex razor hd 3 x 18, I understand you have one.  My other option is the 4.5 x 27, but I like a lower low end on the magnification.  I think 18 x should be enough.  Your comments are appreciated.
Strive for excellence, anyone can be mediocre.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2016 at 06:47
I have the 4.5-27 with the EBR-2c reticle and like it a lot. Occasionally take it above 20, it's heavy as a horse but I don't think I'll be humping it over God green earth anytime soon.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2016 at 13:08
Awesome scope! Had s few quirks I had to get used to (locking turrets still sometimes slow me down) but glass is great, parallax is forgiving and easy, illumination is great, has tracked true to 600 yards, pretty good eye box.

On the higher mag scopes, I just don't like them, it is entirely person. Keep in mind my rifle is usually deployed from less-than-ideal positions, not much bench shooting after initial break-in.

I would heartily recommend the scope so long as weight isn't among the top few priorities (unless one of the priorities is extreme weight, then this is most definitely the winner!)

Mine is on a tikka t3 action, heavy contour 24" Rock barrel, chambered in 243AI, sitting in a Whiskey3 chassis, so the setup was never meant to be light weight. It is an absolute tack driver. For a 14 pound rifle.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2016 at 13:56
Originally posted by Old Warhors Old Warhors wrote:

A question for Rancid Coolaid, and others with pertinent experience...  I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle for long range and silhouette work.  I am considering the vortex razor hd 3 x 18, I understand you have one.  My other option is the 4.5 x 27, but I like a lower low end on the magnification.  I think 18 x should be enough.  Your comments are appreciated.

I have played with both extensively.  Pick what is more important to you: low mag or high mag.

Both are excellent designs that have impressed me considerably.

ILya
Old Warhors View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Warhors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2016 at 14:56
Thanks to all of you.  Weight is not a factor for me, I have iron sights for silhouette work, and, I am willing to put up with the weight in all other circumstances.  I am likely to go with the 3 x 18, like Rancid, I like having a lower range to use.  Ilya, thanks for the good review, you helped me answer the question of optical performance, given that the two are somewhat comparable, I'll likely go with the 3 x 18.  The extra change will provide a first rate bipod for tactical matches.
Once again, I thank you all for your help.
Strive for excellence, anyone can be mediocre.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2016 at 16:17
Let us know what you think when you get it and once you have some time on it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic