OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A do all scope for $1500?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A do all scope for $1500?
    Posted: June/05/2016 at 22:42
I have a dellema. I'm building a rifle for some long range South Dakota hunting but also would like to use it in local 600 yard competitions and in a couple years 1000 yard competition. I built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Savage Target action with a Criterion bull barrel, XLR Element Chassis and butt stock, and timney trigger, Now I am at the point where I need glass and I'm can't seem to find a scope that will fill both roles. I was dead nuts set on the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 with the H59 reticle but I read that the glass quality isn't there. Any suggestions for $1500 or less? What about a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50? Someone help point me in a direction.
SavageHunter11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 10:00
Bump
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 10:09

I have no experience with the 5-20 SS. But have the 3-9 SS that uses the HD glass and it is a great scope. The optics are fine and the adjustments crisp. The nice thing is the 5-20 is also available with an illuminated reticle that would help for low light hunting.

Doug
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 11:16
I wish I could look through an SWFA. Also I should note that illuminated scopes are a big no-no in my state. I almost lost my hunting license for 5 years because I took a deer with a gun that had an illuminated reticle. My Only saving Grace was that I left the batteries at home and the gfp officer didn't find any batteries that fit the scope on my person.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 12:20

That is an interesting story. I am glad it came out well.

I am sure the many shooters here that have the 5-20 SS will chime in.

Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:12
SWFA SS 5-20x50 will work well for you and since you can't have illumination, you can get a non-illuminated version and save a little money:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx

Another good option is Bushnell Elite Long Range Hunter 4.5-18x44 which is also available without illumination:

In the sub-$1500 range these two are probably your best options.  Bushnell is a little lighter and if you like to holdover with the reticle, it gives you some options.

The SS 5-20x50 is a a little better in low light and at extended distances owing to a larger objective lens and adjustment range.  It is a touch heavier though.

It sorta comes down to what you prefer.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:14
Has anyone compared these two side by side? The unfortunate downside of where I live is I only have access to Vortex, Leupold, and Nightforce optics in stores. Everyone in South Dakota seems to have a hard on for Leupold. Is a Mk4 in the same class as the HDMR and SS HD 5-20?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:40
Mk4 is not as good as SS and HDMR.

With Nightforce, the only viable option in your price range is SHV F1 4-14x50 (I assume you are looking for a FFP scope), but it is not available without illumination.

With Mk4, the only FFP scope in your price range is the ER/T 4.5-14x50 which is an OK design, but not as good as some other mentioned in this thread.

ILya 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:45
The reticle is what's holding me back on the SWFA. I know in the back of my head I should just get it and learn to hold without the Christmas tree reticle. Been spoiled with a ffp r- grid reticle on my ar that has served me very well and now my regular reticle holdovers are cheap.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:47
If you want to do reticle holdover, Bushnell Long Range Hunter is a good otpion
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:50
Better glass than the HDMR?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 13:52
Similar for the most part.

HDMR had more variation sample to sample.  The Elite Hunter is a bit more consistent and quite good for the money.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 14:07
My scheels just might have an Elite Hunter. I remember them having a $1400 Bushnell that wasn't one of the HDMR/DRM variants
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageHunter11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 15:57
Popped down to scheels, they did have an Elite Hunter. Compared it the a PST they had and a NXS. I thought it was very compairable to the the NXS in glass and crispness of the turrets. I don't know if that puts the Elite Hunter into play as an option or keeps the HDMR as an option.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2016 at 21:59
Nightforce NXS if you can find one on a used or demo special. The SHV F1 is great too.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2016 at 17:42
The Burris XTR 4-20X50 BUR201041  has the Horus 59 which will have the drops and wind  for $1399.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic