OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope/Mount/Base Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 19:03
I always found Leupold bases to be flatter and lower than other makes.  I once bought Leupold low 22 ringmounts for a grooved receiver and I could not mount a 4X scope!!!   Shocked  

Jeeesh....!!    Whatever

Visit the Ed Show
Rem700P308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 19:21
So does anybody forsee a problem with:

Remington 700P .308
Leupold 4.5-14x50mm
Leupold Mark 4 20 MOA One-Piece Base (or should I get 15 MOA base)
Leupold Mark 4 Medium Steel Rings (or should I get High rings)

For a novice long range shooter, would I really benefit any by spending upwards of $100 more to go with Badger base and rings?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 19:40
Check out TPS rings. Excellent rings, for a bit less. If you are so inclined. 

Also, please consider using this fine forums Gracious Host, SWFA for your scope and rings when you are ready.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rem700P308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 20:05
Oh I fully intend to purchase from SWFA. Great prices and service in the past.

And I'll take a look at the TPS rings.

If I went Badger I guess my options for a base would be the 30606 steel 20 MOA or the 30606F steel zero MOA.

The Badger rings come in 2 screw and 3 screw or a combination of 1 of each. Not sure what's up with the combo or whether 2 screws is enough or not or if 3 screws is necessary or overkill for a .308.

Too many options???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 20:16
Badger Ord is NEVER EVER a bad option. Quality stuff and having used their CS dept personally, I can't fault you one bit for going their way. I love them. 

That said....there are other options. If I'm spending "Badger $$$", I'd get Seekins. 

To save a little, I'd go TPS TSR rings. Very good quality ring, or a little less than the big boys. I have a set of TPS TSR 1 inchers, that I have rat holed for a rainy day.    

FWIW...I think the 6 screw Badger on a short action Remington....since we are both of the South... 
a bit "quar". Wink 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 21:16
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Badger Ord is NEVER EVER a bad option. Quality stuff and having used their CS dept personally, I can't fault you one bit for going their way. I love them. 

That said....there are other options. If I'm spending "Badger $$$", I'd get Seekins. 

To save a little, I'd go TPS TSR rings. Very good quality ring, or a little less than the big boys. I have a set of TPS TSR 1 inchers, that I have rat holed for a rainy day.    

FWIW...I think the 6 screw Badger on a short action Remington....since we are both of the South... 
a bit "quar". Wink 

A BIT? You mean to tell me you don't use your rifle optics to connect your truck to the ATV trailer or loop your scope over a zip line an go from mountain top to mountain top?

A bit of overkill?   Naw!  Roll on Floor Laughing
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 21:19
Vortex rings ARE Seekins rings. and I concur with Mark, Seekins is top shelf.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 21:57
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Vortex rings ARE Seekins rings. and I concur with Mark, Seekins is top shelf.

Plus, since their aluminum they dont rust like badgers. Or Leupold for that matter. Every steel badger and leupold mount/ ring i have owned has surface rusted on me during wet hunting season. My talley or seekins stuff has never had a problem with that.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2016 at 18:42
I still like my Talley LW suggestion. Best $40 I ever spent. (North of Juarez.) Wink
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 04:30
Azithromycin, breakfast of bar flies! For that time you spent that $40 in Juarez!
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 06:14
My SS 5-20x50 sits in TPS ultra low rings with a TPS 20 MOA base and I have plenty of clearance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 06:30
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

My SS 5-20x50 sits in TPS ultra low rings with a TPS 20 MOA base and I have plenty of clearance.

Wow. No kidding? I know some low rings will facilitate a 50mm objective, but ultra lows? Good to know, Caleb. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 06:32
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Azithromycin, breakfast of bar flies! For that time you spent that $40 in Juarez!

We poured tequila on "stuff" after to sanitize. Big Grin 
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 11:32
I have Nightforce scopes with 50mm and 56mm objectives mounted in TPS low rings on EGW and Warne bases on Remington 700 rifles.  Some are 0 MOA base and some are 20 MOA.  I do not have clearance issues with any.

The only issue I have is one that makes the scope sit very high.  I have an EGW 80011 HD F-Class 20 MOA base that is much taller than my other bases.  Not all scope bases will be the same height.  You may have too little clearance with one brand of base, and plenty of clearance with another brand of base, with the same scope/ring combination.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 12:49
My SS 5-20x50 used to sit in standard .823"Badger rings on a 20MOA rail, and cleared the heavy target profile barrel on my Savage. That scope now sits on Aadland lows on a 20MOA rail with no clearance issues on my Remington with a heavy palma barrel.

I would also suggest the Talley light weights already mentioned. I put them on my son's and wife's rifles, and have nary an issue with them.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 13:43

The super low rings measure 0.820" from the top of the base to the center of the ring which I think is similar to Seekins low rings.  TPS low rings are 0.925" which is closer to Seekins medium high rings.  The picture shows the my set-up and I have plenty of clearance.

SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 14:35
A low height ring part number 30520 for 1" tube scope measures .785 " from the top of the base to the center of the ring.
http://swfa.com/1-C2716.aspx

For a 30mm tube .925" is correct for low height ring part number 30570 or 30580.  The super low for a 30mm tube is .820" for part number 32570 or 32580.
http://swfa.com/30mm-C2717.aspx

Nice setup cpwomack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 17:14
Nice, Caleb! Is that the action you got from me? 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 18:45
Yes sir! Only thing new is the Manners stock with mini-chassis since the last time I posted a picture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 19:05
Caleb, you are fond of those M-40 stocks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic