OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR15 parts kits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR15 parts kits
    Posted: May/17/2016 at 22:09
I put together my first lower tonight. Took me a little longer than I thought, about a hour. Anderson lower and parts kit. UTG stock kit. I got about 140 in all of it. I picked up a PSA upper for 199 shipped, the stainless one, and one of their bolts for about 79 bucks.

My question is this. Compared to my SW MP15 Magpul AR, the parts kit seems a little rough. Naturally right? Any one use one they found was better quality without breaking the bank?

I have 2 more stripped Anderson lowers with parts kits to assemble. THinking I need a 7.62x39 next. Or a 300 BLK and suppress it and shoot deer with it. 

And this one I just put together is my kicking around the hunting club riding a 4 wheeler gun. Or truck gun. No point in roughing up my nice MP. 

Big Grin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 22:14
When u say feels a little rough, are u talking trigger?   If so look at an ALG ACT trigger. Then just buy one of the parts kits that has everything minus thr trigger.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 13:20
Not just trigger but safety is rougher feeling and parts aren't as solid as my mp15. Just don't sound as solid.

Safety selector looks less robust. Make sense?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 13:51
Sometimes on a safety is you take a file to the tip of the little detent pin and just barely take the point off they work a lot smoother. 

But I am sure there are multiple quality levels of kits. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 13:55

A rough safety will sometimes get a little smoother over time. You can also improve the feel of the safety by using a higher quality detent and spring. We use KNS brand springs and detents in our SS-AR's. They lock into position well and have a smoother travel between positions.

When you say, "Just don't sound as solid." Do you mean, the safety doesn't lock in the safe and fire positions as solid as your M&P? If so, make sure you didn't accidentally put a takedown/pivot pin spring in place of the safety spring. That could cause a "mushy" feeling safety selector.

Dillon@SWFA.com
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 15:07
Think in terms of holding a Taurus revolver and then a Smith or colt. It may be the parts kit I have just isn't machined as finely. I think the actual safety switch is less robust looking than my mp15.

For its purpose which is knocking around on my ATV at the hunting g club it's fine. But my mp15 is slicker.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 16:26

Anderson is a decent lower and their kits are the budget norm. These kits are punched and turned out by the lb. and are purposed for low budget builds. For what you purpose this build for you are spot on. It will probably function very reliably but it would take a fair amount of elbow-TLC to get it just close to mid and high budget builds. The Anderson lower can be built to a very smooth accurate component with top end parts. It's all in what you want to spend.

Good luck with it.

Welcome to the OT!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 17:47
Not sure your budget, I just did a build that included a lower parts kit from WC and have had no issues with functionality, etc. Nothing really fancy about the lower parts kit other than they claim they to use it on their builds. Note, it does not include trigger, I bought that separate by design.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lower-Receiver-Small-Parts-Kit-AR-Style/productinfo/TR-LOWERK/
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 17:49
A smooth trigger makes a world of difference in an AR too me. Makes an AR-15....almost bearable. Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 23:06
I saw some video on the internet that said as long as the lower was made out of 7075 or something like that, it was good, no matter how much you want to pay.  So I don't feel bad about my Anderson lowers.

I may look for a more high end parts kit for the next build. Fat boy tactical has a trigger that isn't as pricey as the others out there, I think for around 100 bucks or so. That is where I got the other two parts kits and stock kit to build my other two lowers. 

I really want to do a 7.62x39 one, but I hear good and bad about them having feeding issues. PSA seems to get good reviews on their upper. I will know more after I shoot this one and see how it does. 

I like to tinker, so I may take a stone or some 2000 grit sand paper to the next one. I put some MPro 7 oil on it, and it seems to have smoothed out some. Trigger still not fantastic, but I can solve that issue. 

Thinking I may sell my MP15 and use the $ to build out my last two. I just didn't see the point in dragging a 1200 dollar AR around the woods getting it all nasty on my ATV.  I got 438 dollars in the one I just put together.  

One of these days I will build one completely from scratch. I really enjoyed building this one, I need to tackle building an upper next. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2016 at 23:19
Check out del-ton. They make great stuff and have great prices. I have a delton setup i built that has over 15,000 rounds. Just keeps on trucking along.

For lower kits i have often used cmt or del-ton. Both have worked great for me.

Look into a 300 blk. With the 125ish grain loads they are very similar to the 7.62x39. All u need is a barrel change. Everything else is the same.

Be careful taking a stone to the trigger and stuff. The heat treat is super thin, u take that off and your parts will get soft and can cause malfunction. I was at a carbine class where a guys rifle started shooting bursts. Turned out he did his own trigger job with a stone. School armorer looked it over and said he stoned the heat treat right off and then the edge of a part rounded off so it was bursting.

Those ACT ALG triggers i listed earlier, are amazing for $70. You wont find a better trigger for the price. I have 5 of them and like them alot.

One note about $400 ARs. They often won't be reliable or very accurate. So i would't dispose of your nice one for a couple more cheapos. In my experience reliable ars start in the 700 range. Super Accurate ars start in the 1000 range. Then u can dump a but load more into them with all the fancy add ons we all like.

Edited by supertool73 - May/18/2016 at 23:30

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 14:32
I am going to shoot it and see how it does. It is the PSA Stainless upper, it has a fairly thick barrel. More so than my MP. My MP might be 5R, I can't remember. It's really a nice gun. It's the Magpul edition. I got it for cost, I had gone in to buy a sport, and they gave me the Magpul by mistake. So i called the shop owner the next day and told him. I couldn't figure out when I got home and opened the box what was up. When I went back down there and saw we'd have to go back through a call to the FBI I just asked him what the difference was. He said since I was honest, he'd let me have it for his cost to the store and showed me the invoice. So I paid the difference. 

My GF got a Sport last year on Black Friday. It's a nice gun too, for the money. I got her a Bravo Co Extended charging handle (she has shoulder problems from a bad wreck) and a Sparc II, and it's pretty sweet now. Oh and a magpul MS1 sling. She got a hard case and mag loader with it and really liked mine, so... she had to have one. Then her dad got one too. I should get commissions.

I hear ya on the trigger, that I hadn't considered, so I will look at another option, perhaps the one you suggested. I am far less intimidated by taking one apart now. I don't like the standard profile barrels though. You know where they have that spot where they get narrower before the end of the barrel. I just don't like how that looks. 

The 300 BLK is on my short list too. I like the idea of suppressing it and shooting subsonic. Then I could site behind my GF's house in her neighborhood and hunt. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 14:47
That little notch is so you can hook on a grenade launcher.  Bucky  Everyone needs one of those. 

300 blks suppressed are way fun.  I have a 300 in AR and bolt gun.  The bolt gun is crazy quiet. 

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2016 at 16:07
Welcome to the OT, Lockjaw.
Del-ton and Doublestar are good low cost parts. Personally, I like Stag for my builds. They are more in the mid range in cost.
Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 15:05
I doubt I could afford a grenade launcher, much less the actual grenades. It just seems to me it would be a structural weak spot in the barrel. Especially if you were shooting a lot of rounds rapidly. I am sure the army tested all that, so my concern is probably baseless. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 16:10
I have a few M4 type barrels, I have one that has over 10,000 rounds and it has been just fine.  So I woudln't worry about it to much. 

But on that note, if you want a good barrel SWFA sells Seekins precision barrels which are hand lapped rock creek barrels for under $250.  There is no better deal on barrels available.  They are top notch.  I just got an 18" one today, can't wait to get it mounted up and shoot it.  Got a SWFA SS 3-9x to go with it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 16:27
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

But on that note, if you want a good barrel SWFA sells Seekins precision barrels which are hand lapped rock creek barrels for under $250.  There is no better deal on barrels available.  They are top notch.  I just got an 18" one today, can't wait to get it mounted up and shoot it.  Got a SWFA SS 3-9x to go with it. 

Can't wait to see that nasty wench. 75gr Horny's I presume?   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 16:27
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Welcome to the OT, Lockjaw.
Del-ton and Doublestar are good low cost parts. Personally, I like Stag for my builds. They are more in the mid range in cost.

Hello, Mr. Loper. Howdy
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 16:39
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Can't wait to see that nasty wench. 75gr Horny's I presume?   

Yeah buddy

everydaywine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Spammer...Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everydaywine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 10:46
This is really nice, building is very expensive but specific. weldone
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic