OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pine thicket scope recommendations please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pine thicket scope recommendations please
    Posted: May/17/2016 at 10:46
I hunt in a club in Alabama, its mostly timber company land, some has been recently clear cut, and there are 2 long powerlines running through the property. There are multiple green fields on the property, and I have several rifles set up for hunting, depending on where I am. 

I have a decided preference for shorter barrel rifles. My long range rifle is a Remington 700 BDL 270 in a Hogue stock with a Nikon Monarch 4-16X50BDC. I shoot superformance 130 grain ammo. Long shot out there would be just over 300 yards, although I was told it was 400 when I toured the property. 

My other long to medium range gun is a Remington 700 Tactical 308, with heavy barrel, also in a Hogue stock. I ultimately want to suppress this one. It wears a Minox ZA5 3-15X42 scope with a German reticle. I shoot 150 Grain hornady SST ammo from it. 

My other 2 short range guns are Ruger M77 carbines (16.5 in barrels). One is a 7-08 stainless, with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 UUC  and the other is a 308 with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40. It's the scope I want to upgrade.

My plan for it is to be a shorter range gun. I will probably shoot a 165 or 180 grain bullet, and plan on using it in some very thick cover. I want a scope that is going to excel in that type of environment, so it needs to be bright, and have probably a German #4 reticle. I also need to make sure I am not shooting a spike and mistaking it for a doe in low light. 

I'm a single dad with custody of 2 boys, so.. I can't drop a ton, and have looked at used scopes on the sample list, and also on ebay. I have seen for example, a Swarovski habicht 3-9x36, a Zeiss Diavari of the same size, a Kahles and Steiner, all in a similar price range of 500 to 700. 

Just wondering what would be a good option. The gun doesn't weigh 6 pounds, so... the scope could weigh 18 oz or so and it wouldn't upset me. My primary goal is putting meat in the freezer. Head gear is secondary. 

Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 11:03
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I'd start by saying a Leupold 2-7x VX-R or a Swaro Z3 3-9x? 

The Leupold with a Firedot reticle is a formidable scope for the brush.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 11:28
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I'd start by saying a Leupold 2-7x VX-R or a Swaro Z3 3-9x? 

The Leupold with a Firedot reticle is a formidable scope for the brush.    

I completely agree.  Check out the Swaro Z3 3-9x36 with the German #4A reticle.  I have it and it's a great scope for what you're looking for, especially in low light with that reticle.  In deep cover, you'll be around 3-5x, so the smaller objective won't harm your exit pupil for light gathering, and you'll appreciate the lighter weight.

Swarovski 3-9x36 Z3 Riflescope4ASwarovski 3-9x36 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59033
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$779.00
Add Swarovski 3-9x36 Z3 Riflescope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1084_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1084$0">
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 12:34
Shocking that scope cost so inexpensive.  
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2016 at 13:24
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Shocking that scope cost so inexpensive.  

+
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 16:31
How about a Zeiss conquest duralyt? Just out a tade in motion.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 16:48
Takes all kinds, but my brush gun wears a 1-6, and stays on 1X most of the time.

At very close range in thick brush, 3X is sometimes just too much.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 17:07
Ditto!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 18:06
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Takes all kinds, but my brush gun wears a 1-6, and stays on 1X most of the time.

At very close range in thick brush, 3X is sometimes just too much.

Less is indeed more, at times. 
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 18:13
I got the 2-8x42 model. 30mm.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 11:57
I've got two 3-9x36 Swaro's. They are great scopes which are clear, got good ret's and gather light well.

Doubt you'd be dissapointed. ALso, the Swaro's hold their value well if you decided at a later date to sell
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 16:30
Those were on my short list also. I have 4 rifles all set up for different things. I like to get in the woods with the deer not sit in a shooting house. Unless it's raining.
Levrac68 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levrac68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 15:05
I have the Swaro Z6 with the plex for exactly the reasons you've asked. The thick lines of the plex really stand out against the brush in NH. Since it isn't illuminated, that's important. The glass is bright and sharp. I have a NF atacr and Vortex gen II that also have great glass, but for hunting, the weight and reticle of both really don't work. Good luck.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 16:16
SPL23770Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to viewTR243G, Matte, German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot
$749.95
SPL23723Trijicon 1-6x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-A
Click to view25C200090, Matte, Red Triangle Post
$1,069.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 16:17
Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$935.00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic