OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Vipers/Razors/

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Vipers/Razors/
    Posted: May/03/2016 at 15:33
Hello,

I'd like to hear if any of you have experience with the Vortex 10 * 50 or Vortex Viper 15 * 50. I'm considering one of these. Why are these two essentially the same price? I'm also curious if anybody has experience with the Vortex Razors..which are a bit more than the amount I want to spend..but would consider it if people thought it was a significant upgrade over the Vipers. My purposes is mostly general use/wildlife/sports.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 16:18
I have the Razor HD... but mine is the 8x42. It is astoundingly good. I would have zero regrets recommending this. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 16:38
Those are a bit out of my price range. But yeah, I'd love one of those. I'm focusing on the viper.

btw, are Vortex one of the better optics manufacturers? 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 17:20
Originally posted by qpalzm qpalzm wrote:

Those are a bit out of my price range. But yeah, I'd love one of those. I'm focusing on the viper.

btw, are Vortex one of the better optics manufacturers? 

Like most everyone, they have good stuff and some not so good stuff, but they don't make anything themselves.  They source their products from China and Japan, as do some other companies like Bushnell, Maven, Styrka, Zen Ray, and some others.

The Razor binocs are very good, but that $1000 price point is loaded with good competition.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 21:14
10x50 and really 15x50 are pretty specialized binos, what exactly will you be doing with yours? There might be better options, based on usage and expectations.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 21:15
I wrote my uses near the end of the post. It's mostly general use. Sports.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 21:25
With the 10x u will be able to use it with just your hands. But it wont be great for veiwing lots of movement like sports, especially up close sports. You will probably want lower mag for that role. I use 10x for game though and really like them in that role. The 50mm objective will be good for low light too.

15x will really require a tripod. That is to much mag to be able to hold steady.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 03:24
I don't know much about binoculars, but I just bought the Razor 10x42 and am thrilled with them!

qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2016 at 16:46
I've decided to go with the 12 * 36 Canon 3's
I should have them in a couple weeks. If you guys want a report back on them..let me know.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2016 at 16:54
No offense sir, but I predict you'll regret that decision. 
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2016 at 16:59
Why would you say that? They have great reviews.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 08:42
This is just my opinion of course, but they are clumsy, require a battery, terrible FOV, poor eye relief, no tripod adaptor. 
qpalzm View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpalzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 08:56
I see. I can only base my opinion on reviews from bhphotovideo and amazon..and everyone raves about them on these two sites.

1. I am getting IS so I don't have to use a tripod..so no issue there.
2. I don't wear glasses, so not sure eye relief will be problematic.
3. Battery is annoying..but I won't be taking them in any remote situation/for long time..to run out.

I'm only concerned about the design of the eye pieces.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2016 at 10:48
I don't have one; don't need one. BUT, I have used ALL extensively. What JGraider said is true. But, in the optics world, "TRUE" is a subjective term.  I certainly don't think the objective covers were well-thought out, but having sold a few hundred, and seeing them often outpace the Fujinon Techno-Stabi for marine use, I think you'll be happy. BUT, don't buy until you try. People will be eager to have YOU buy what THEY would like to have ... don't go there.

My wife mostly ignored my astronomy. But, having her view the Pleiades with a 15x50 changed her tune. The size you have chosen would be a bit small for me. But, again, that's subjective. An image that doesn't jitter is often better than a larger and brighter one that does.

Just a thought.
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

erehweslefox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erehweslefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2016 at 09:22
I've looked at these.

One emotional non tech specific response.....

WHY Votex Vipers? The name is really ridiculous.

I mean I really don't want my binoculars to attack things. I say this in humor but it does give me questions as a consumer.

There is a trend, which you may have noticed, to make things more 'tactical' than they need to be. Naming, but it also extends to packaging and casing, often things get flutes and rubber where it doesn't add to the function, but just makes it look more like something a movie SWAT guy might wear.

again this has nothing to do with the quality of the binoculars, but REALLY Vipers?

I mean I'd name my binoculars Owls or Falcons, snakes have very poor eyesight.

Ad diem tendo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic