OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are Mk 4 leupolds made in Beaverton,OR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Mk 4 leupolds made in Beaverton,OR
    Posted: April/29/2016 at 21:17
I am aware China junk clones that have entered the U.S. and am not talking about those . I recently spoke with a fellow who swears that he mounted a new in the box upper end leupold rifle scope for a fellow that was purchased in China while on business over there . I am not talking about the rifleman line either.
I am about 3 weeks out on getting back my barreled action and must make up my mine on a scope that will let me dial in hunting shots as well as push my limits at 1k range. I have been looking at a Mk 4 with m1 turrets. I originally was bent on a Meopta r1 but limited travel killed the deal. Any light on the subject is appreciated.
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2016 at 08:27
According to Leupold all gold ring and up scopes are made and manufactured in US.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2016 at 09:48
I find that very hard to believe. Leupold clone/knock offs are fairly common. Not to disparage your friend.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 09:54
I can spot a clone,though I am not sure the fellow who told me this story had accurate info. I am just wanting to get the best info available on a scope I am saving my penny's for.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 11:33
There are much better scopes out there than the Mk4, for your application. First off I would choose a scope with matching turrets/reticle. Whether MOA/MOA or mil/mil, it will be much easier to learn than on a mixed system.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 13:48
Leupold's scopes are assembled in the USA, the tubes are milled in the USA, and other parts are USA sourced.  Some components (including lenses) are made overseas.

There are several other brands, including Swarovski, that have riflescopes that are assembled in the USA.

American Flag
-Matt
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 14:22
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

There are much better scopes out there than the Mk4, for your application. First off I would choose a scope with matching turrets/reticle. Whether MOA/MOA or mil/mil, it will be much easier to learn than on a mixed system.

Good Lord is this ever true! I helped a guy at our club zero his 6-24X72 Henzoldt, he had me WAY over thinking it's windage turret. .5cm's be damned! It was 4 inches right at 100 yards 4x25.4= 101.6mm or 10.16cm's /.5= 20.32 clicks. He keep trying to go with 8.  20 just seemed to many.  Liars know numbers, but numbers don't lie! Do the math!  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 15:31
I don't even bother with linear measurements. When zeroing, I shoot at shoot-n-see targets, and read the reticle for adjustments. When the reticle matches the turrets it's easy-peasy!

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 16:56
Actually I was going to go with a duplex in the mk4 with m1 turrets. It being second focal plane requires being on the highest magnification which I seldom am.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 10:13
Leupold has a number of scopes that are matched, whether you are going MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.
I use first and second focal plane Mark 4's and I use VX-3 LR/T's (SFP).
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 10:25
I believe there are more "accurate" clones outside the US than inside the US.  They can argue the US clones have differences where in other parts of the world, where trademarks/copyrights are pointless, they can duplicate exact and nobody is the wiser.  Sounds like your friend just got a very good knockoff.  I would simply buy from a reputable dealer and you should be good to go.  That said, let us know your budget, use, and wants and we can try to make sure you spend your money on the best you can afford.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 11:14
Originally posted by porkchop401 porkchop401 wrote:

Actually I was going to go with a duplex in the mk4 with m1 turrets. It being second focal plane requires being on the highest magnification which I seldom am.

On a duplex, does it matter?  Are you doing any calculations using line thickness or line length?  If so, do they need to be accurate calculations?

If the answer to any of those is "yes", you have the wrong tool for the job.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 15:10
I do not, it is a simple range dial and shoot game for me. But please enlighten me on better options. I am using the rifle for deer hunting in a sendero type environment . Today a friend suggested I take a look at the Vortex Viper HS /LR line.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 15:43
Sorry, my comment was purely in the context of SFP vs FFP in a duplex reticle.  

As I have said quite often, ranging on reticle is an exceedingly perishable skill, do it often or you will not do it well.  If you have range markers or a laser range finder, forget the reticle stuff and dial and shoot.

A complicated reticle can be a great thing, if you need quick shots or lack the gear to do it otherwise.  That said, do it often, or you won't do it well.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 18:44
Coolaid, you have always answered my questions with honest opinions which is appreciated. The truth of the matter is I am returning to long range hunting and range play after a couple of year hiatus where before i was a nightforce junky but and now am looking at less expensive options, the nxs line had a confidence building effect that is hard to explain. I fear that I will be dissatisfied and will ultimately end up with one once again only after spending money on lesser scopes that will be sold and money lost on.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 19:31
Buy a Nightforce and don't look back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 20:34
I have had success with NXS and not much success with Leupold - though, in all truth, I haven't used their stuff in a while.

I've had a few complaints of NXS over the years, none have been durability.

There is glass I like more than NF glass, but they make solid scopes.

Dollar-for-dollar, right now, it is tough to beat Vortex.
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 11:11
Given what you're looking for (Nightforce function and turret repeatability) it might be worth your effort to look at Sightron scopes.  I've never owned one but rarely hear of a disappointed Sightron owner and based on everything I've read they'd be a likely candidate.  The S-Tac line in particular looks interesting.
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2016 at 10:10
I've been to the Leupold factory in Oregon. All the high end leupolds they CNC from blanks. Pretty cool. That said, they always seem to be behind on turret/reticle matching and price point. I just picked up a Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42 moa. It is nice! I've been comparing it to my Steiner military and some weaver tactical scopes in different configurations. It's bright, like the 50mm, but compact like the 2-10x36 ffp weaver. I read the S-Tac has vx6 comparable glass, I wouldn't doubt it, it's sharp. The turrets are covered but match the moa reticle.

+1 to sightron on the S-tac.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 08:03
Well fellas I pulled the trigger on a mk4 4.5-14x50 Lt/r (m1/duplex) I guess if it doesn't work out it will be an excuse to get another scope!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic