OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR VALDADA reputation and resale value?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropointzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR VALDADA reputation and resale value?
    Posted: April/20/2016 at 14:06
Hey guys, brand new to the forum as a member although I've clicked around and read here a few times.

It's been a long time since I've actually researched rifle scopes. I've been a fan of the ior tactical offerings since I first used one and now own a couple of my own. I'm sure all of you remember some of the issues they had early on. I've never had an issue with either of mine and I believe they have fixed everything now.

I'm wondering what kind of reputation their tactical scopes have these days in the optics community. I'm also looking to trade/sell one of mine just to get something new to play with. So I'm wondering how well they hold their value these days and furthermore how people go about figuring out an asking price for used high end optics. I can't seem to find any scopes like mine on the used market to get an idea of what they are selling for so I'm not sure where to start when I do end up listing it.

Hopefully these aren't dumb questions and I appreciate any guidance to point me in the right direction!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 15:04
Welcome to the OT zeropoinzeroHowdy

I have a IOR 1.5-8x26 and I love it. Like you, I have no idea what it would sell for, but I have no plans to sell anytime soon.

While it's not a dumb question, all I can give you is a dumb lookBucky
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
zeropointzero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropointzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 15:17
Lol nice reply!!! That 1.5-8 is on my list of scopes to pick up. Hell of an AR scope!

I know back in the day people had to sell their IOR's at a pretty big loss to move them but mostly because people were nervous about the quality. I would think some of that should have died down now that everything seems to be straightened out.
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 16:29

I just sold my 4-14x50mm Tactical from 2008 vintage for ~ 65% of what I paid, net of auction fees and shipping.  Not bad, but was hoping to clear closer to 75%.  Mine was the first generation of the new design that had the large exposed tactical knobs, 30mm tube, and power ring without the cat-tail grip.

The glass was great and I never had any issues with the scope, but the one thing that always bugged me a bit was the eyebox was fairly unforgiving of odd head positions.   

Some recent threads on a competitor forum still don't speak particularly well of IOR's current and past reputation, and the clear message there was 'why take a gamble on IOR when there are so many good alternatives these days?' type of chatter. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropointzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 17:36
Well that last statement of why gamble on ior is a legitimate argument. After all there are so many good options these days it's hard to decide on a scope whether IOR is in the running or not. My opinion of ior and why I would "gamble" is that in any given price range the IOR's offer alot of features in comparison to most of the competition. Plus they do have a lifetime warranty, although I've never had go use it personally I've heard from more than one source that their customer service is actually really good.

I suspect alot of the IOR bashers especially the more recent ones have read negative reviews and jumped on the bandwagon. Now don't get me wrong if I paid $1000+ for a scope and it broke because of the way it was designed or manufactured I'd be pissed and likely wouldn't give them another chance in the future or at the very least it would take some major convincing. But..... I've had nothing but great experiences with them so it's hard for me to over look them when im in the market for an optic. I've had other high end scopes but the majority of my experience with optics over $300 has been IOR so I am going to sell one of them and try something new. I just don't know what I want to try. It mostly depends on what I can get for the scope I sell because my funds are pretty low at the moment.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that IOR uses schott glass and purchased the lens coating technology from Zeiss. Does anybody know if that's a true statement? I know the schott glass part of that is true but I'm wondering if they actually use the same coatings as Zeiss?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 17:50
Originally posted by zeropointzero zeropointzero wrote:

I suspect alot of the IOR bashers especially the more recent ones have read negative reviews and jumped on the bandwagon. 

Whistling
You rang? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropointzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:00
Lol yeah I'm talking to you!

So I assume you are one of the guys bad mouthing my scope!!?? Have you had negative experience with their scopes or just read about others having issues? I totally understand if you spent your hard earned money just to have it fail on you.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:18
Is this Val? We happen to be addressing?
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:29
Let me preface by saying my IOR experience is VERY dated and probably not worthy of serious present day consideration, because I think IOR has worked to improve things.

I had a run in with then honcho "Val" over the telephone over some warranty work on an IOR Tactical 2.-10x that was, as far as I was concerned, an IOR problem. 

He called me "a liar" and it went down hill from there. The objective housing came loose when my friend, (a very experienced gun guru) was taking the sunshade off. Val said there's NO WAY that could have happened and I must have been monkeying with it. Well, when I screwed it back in, the sight picture was all to hell and probably released the gas out of it.  

The scope also had VERY short eye relief at 10x. If I didn't get bumped, it was barely missing my eye.
TWO other accomplished shooters that shot mine said the same thing.    

In fairness, Val/IOR made it right and sent me a new scope. You have to understand, this was a time where they just moved to CO and were getting set up. As I remember it, you had to know someone with Val's phone number to his "lair" in CO to get anything fixed. It wasn't public knowledge at that time.  

I actually had another IOR hunting model that was decent, but I sh*t canned it after the aforementioned incident and never looked back.      

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:30
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Is this Val? We happen to be addressing?

My funny Valentine....Wink
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:34
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

I just sold my 4-14x50mm Tactical from 2008 vintage for ~ 65% of what I paid, net of auction fees and shipping.  Not bad, but was hoping to clear closer to 75%.  Mine was the first generation of the new design that had the large exposed tactical knobs, 30mm tube, and power ring without the cat-tail grip.

The glass was great and I never had any issues with the scope, but the one thing that always bugged me a bit was the eyebox was fairly unforgiving of odd head positions.    

Some recent threads on a competitor forum still don't speak particularly well of IOR's current and past reputation, and the clear message there was 'why take a gamble on IOR when there are so many good alternatives these days?' type of chatter. 

I zeroed a friends scope the other day, it was an IOR 4-28 with illuminated MP-8 extreme 1. 100 yrd zero rang up 3.5 mils slapped the 1 MOA steel plate at 500 yards without even blinking. It's a nice scope, that being said I'm having a Vortex 4.5-27X56 RZR HD gen 2 shipped to me as we converse. I will put the 2 side by side for a heads up soon.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:38
Jim is tickled to death with the IOR, it sits atop a custom built AR-10 that shoots like a GAP-10. Pretty much any decent scope is going to shine atop it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropointzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 18:47
Haha no this isn't Val. Just a fan of IOR. I'm a fan of alot of other scopes too. I was just curious if the ior controversy was still alive and kicking or if the ney sayers were starting to come around.

I'd love to hear your conclusion with the gen 2 razor and IOR side by side. Should be a fun test. I'm guessing they will be very close to each other performance wise.
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 19:14
That Razor HD Gen 2 looks really nice but that thing is a pig...45 oz! Really, Vortex? Almost 3 lbs, wtf.

Leaning toward a Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16 to replace my old IOR.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 19:31
IOR are up and down, in customer service and quality. I've owner probably 10, the MP8 reticle is among my favorite - and is favorite for subsonic rounds.

Vortex is heavy, but there are far worse things!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2016 at 21:17
I dont recall exactly but i have had 8 or 9 different IORs. Some have been great others were problem scopes. I think i sent back 4 or 5 of them to valdada. In my experience they were always great about it and gabe me new scopes. But at some point enough failures is enough. I sold them all but one. It still works great, a fixed 4x tactical scope.

Glass was always awesome and the mp8 is still my favorite reticle.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2016 at 09:35
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

That Razor HD Gen 2 looks really nice but that thing is a pig...45 oz! Really, Vortex? Almost 3 lbs, wtf.

Leaning toward a Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16 to replace my old IOR.
I'm not toting this thing cross country, as the son of a WWII infantry BAR gunner we were never allowed to complain about what a rifle weighed. You'd get "The Look". Really? LOL!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2016 at 09:46
I run a gen2 3-18 on a medium-weight gun, it isn't a stalking gun, but I don't see the weight as an issue.

Were I doing tactical matches, it might be on the edge of what I'd want (weight-wise), since I am not, a little planning deals with any potential problems.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2016 at 10:47

As far a figuring out a value, try this -

http://www.samplelist.com/tradeinform.aspx

They will give you a value and you can go from there.  SWFA will buy your scope or use it for trade in towards what you want.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic